231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
It's something to try at least but I figure I will try to dick with the linkage first. I am planning today to try rearranging the shifters so they are more towards the centre of the vehicle. It wasn't bad with wear the shifters are but I can't recall if maybe my knee brushes against the shifter popping it out.

Today will be pull skid, disconnect front driveshaft, move shifters and see how much fluid I lost and where it is leaking from.

Oh and mow the lawn..

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Tweaked the shifter levers so they are more straight and it sits a lot better. It wasn't bad before but I can do the "knee lean" now
Looked at the shift levers and I think what was happening is I was overextending the lever so it was creating constant pressure on the shifter rods and would work its way out. Set it so it isn't doing that. We shall see.
Also I think the leaking issue is due to the way the plate is designed with the clocking holes. I think it is leaking from between the plate and the Dana 300 not the 231. Will look at pulling it Wednesday and fixing it.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
My 300 likes to jump out from low, I never had it jump out in high. It's really annoying when you think you're in 4WD and wondering why you're stuck. Or going down a steep descent and it suddenly goes full neutral!

I might try those detents, if I feel like taking it apart, or I was thinking of a shifter lock system with finger release, similar to auto trannys.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I had heard of it jumping out in low more than high which made me suspect it was a linkage issue.

Looking at the stock shifter bracket on the 231 I suspect it may also have similar issues since they notched it (or it was done that way to make it more obvious which gear you are in).

My 300 likes to jump out from low, I never had it jump out in high. It's really annoying when you think you're in 4WD and wondering why you're stuck. Or going down a steep descent and it suddenly goes full neutral!

I might try those detents, if I feel like taking it apart, or I was thinking of a shifter lock system with finger release, similar to auto trannys.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
My last 300 never jumped out, this one only ever jumps out of RWD when trail riding. So I mostly trail ride in FWD.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got it all back in and while at it recentered the rear axle as it was out by a bit and never really noticed until last Gorge run when Ryan and Matt mentioned it.
That was a pain, I had to disconnect the track bar and upper control arms to do it.

Not sure if I need to adjust caster now, while it was out I checked the front output on the 300 and it was more than the recommended .002 to .005 so I fixed that.
Took it for a spin and it seemed fine but there is a teeny tiny leak from the intermediate shaft at the rear. So tiny I am sure some RTV smeared on it should fix it. Also I had filled it a lot more than before so it may be a bit too much.

Also for Dwayne he was wondering what I had done with the various lines as he was planning on doing a crossmember on Connie's jeep.
Figured this should explain it well: