5.3l transmission question

junkpile

http://medusa.ih8mud.com/NP205/Doubler.html

^^this is pretty awesome, but the article doesn't specify where the parts come from for this modification.[/QUOTE]

The ring and sensor are factory GM parts, the part #'s are somewhere in his build thread. The first link I posted gives you an aftermarket ring and sensor that does the same job

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member

Neat, although as stated before, you really don't need the VSS unless you want to run the electronic transmissions (4LXX). I used 150tunes.com, and they removed the VSS gear as well (I'd recommend Josh @ 208 Motorsports now, though, as Wayne's turnaround time on the harness was 8 weeks, and I couldn't get a hold of WaitForMe that Adrian used to save my life).

badcompany

Club Member
hey guys any thoughts on a nv3500. i can get one. but anyone know about the clutch/flywheel situation. i know the output spline count is 27 but there dosent seem to be any adapters out there to bolt to a 203.

and apparently the flywheel from a 4.8l gm will work but it seems impossiable to find one. they must be rare because i cant even find a truck for sale that has a 4.8 with a standard trans. i know the 5.3 never came with a standard trans...

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
hey guys any thoughts on a nv3500. i can get one. but anyone know about the clutch/flywheel situation. i know the output spline count is 27 but there dosent seem to be any adapters out there to bolt to a 203.

and apparently the flywheel from a 4.8l gm will work but it seems impossiable to find one. they must be rare because i cant even find a truck for sale that has a 4.8 with a standard trans. i know the 5.3 never came with a standard trans...

Was a very limited run, but I would think you could get a flywheel from a Corvette/Camaro with the 5/6 speed and it should be close enough. I'd be looking at a nv4500 trans though for better power handling and a lower (I think) first gear).

junkpile

A little off topic I know but, I'd love to hear more about this expedition to Alaska you're planing.

badcompany

Club Member
you want to hear about my pipe dream ok ill tell you.

FIRST get on some forums and get into contact with an off road club in every province.
SECOND spend 1 day wheeling in each province with our contact and their club until we reach BC
THIRD drive to Alaska from BC, wheel with some local folk in Alaska,take in whatever we can, do a little bar hoping( im not a big drinker just want to soak up some Alaska culture). id even like to get in a church service while im up there.
FOUR drive back home a different route

that is the coles notes version.

im thinking 3 weeks might be a tight schedule so 3-4 weeks and im guessing roughly 5-7000 dollars

so with wheeling im guessing 10,000 km to get there.
@10000 divided by 400 km (this is what i get per tank full) it equals 25 tank fulls of gas. at 60 dollars for a fill up thats 25X60=$1500 one way

so then 3000 dollars just for fuel

food: lets say $50 bucks a day for 3 weeks = $1050
camping half of the time : 40 a night for camp site = 12 days times $40 = $480
hotels for half of the time: $80 per night = 12 nights times $80 = $960

so far its $4600 dollars.. of course this will probably change but and my plans might change too with input from others but that is the dream...

this is all based on driving 1000km per day which might be a little much.

http://www.themilepost.com/highway-info/highways/alaska-highway

the highway from bc to alaska is shown hear at the right of the pic. you can click on the 5 diffrent parts of the highway

Last edited:

badcompany

Club Member
got the 5.3 on a stand and kind of stripped down today.
its got some broken manifold bolts and i wanted to do a compression test before i invest any more time and money into it

20160109_115142.jpg20160109_115216.jpg

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Take the intake off and water proof the knock sensors as well, you will thank yourself later :)

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
you want to hear about my pipe dream ok ill tell you.

FIRST get on some forums and get into contact with an off road club in every province.
SECOND spend 1 day wheeling in each province with our contact and their club until we reach BC
THIRD drive to Alaska from BC, wheel with some local folk in Alaska,take in whatever we can, do a little bar hoping( im not a big drinker just want to soak up some Alaska culture). id even like to get in a church service while im up there.
FOUR drive back home a different route

that is the coles notes version.

im thinking 3 weeks might be a tight schedule so 3-4 weeks and im guessing roughly 5-7000 dollars

so with wheeling im guessing 10,000 km to get there.
@10000 divided by 400 km (this is what i get per tank full) it equals 25 tank fulls of gas. at 60 dollars for a fill up thats 25X60=$1500 one way

so then 3000 dollars just for fuel

food: lets say $50 bucks a day for 3 weeks = $1050
camping half of the time : 40 a night for camp site = 12 days times $40 = $480
hotels for half of the time: $80 per night = 12 nights times $80 = $960

so far its $4600 dollars.. of course this will probably change but and my plans might change too with input from others but that is the dream...

this is all based on driving 1000km per day which might be a little much.

http://www.themilepost.com/highway-info/highways/alaska-highway

the highway from bc to alaska is shown hear at the right of the pic. you can click on the 5 diffrent parts of the highway

Farook, here is a thread of another member of OVO who did the Yukon/Alaska trip.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129343-Northern-Ontario-to-Inuvik-solo-ride-on-now

He is [MENTION=568]bzzr2[/MENTION] here on the forum if you want to pick his brain about details & camping and what not.

badcompany

Club Member
Hey thanks for the tip about the knock sensor..
I'll post pics and ask how cause I have no idea what's going on with these engines.

And thanks for.the link. It's still a dream now but if I can get a reliable truck togeather I'll be half way there.
I'll look through the thread.
Thanks.

badcompany

Club Member
so i got something done today on the engine
removed some broken studs and ill need to get another dipstick20160113_160820[1].jpg20160113_161807[1].jpg20160113_162644[1].jpg20160113_175903[1].jpg20160113_154621[1].jpg

badcompany

Club Member
the one stud that i tried to drill out got buggered up but i managed to retap it and bolted a manifold on to make sure it would fit.

20160113_175745[1].jpg20160113_155927[1].jpg

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Looks familiar, down to the broken dip stick. X2 on Adrian's advice for waterproofing the knock sensors - mine were a mess, and I may end up replacing the harness as well.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Looks familiar, down to the broken dip stick. X2 on Adrian's advice for waterproofing the knock sensors - mine were a mess, and I may end up replacing the harness as well.

Yup, The 6.0L in my tow rig had the broken dipstick as well - fucking GM ;)

Dr.Phil

I also run a 5.3 with a th400/205 in a yj. That motor like to rev...
38" with 4:10.
I did my wiring and got my ecm tuned by the guy at lt1swap.com