An update on the TYJ

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I think the last update I posted was in 2006 when I swapped frames and when to coils. I haven't done much since, the major change was putting back a rear seat so I could bring the whole family wheeling.

Previously I had a large trunk using up the whole back area with the spare tire and Hi-Lift jack on top. I started by putting a stock seat in but after one trail run Barb had a sore back, so I bought a Bestop seat that is a bit taller and has a head rest (which is still too low but better...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
carrier with tire.JPG

I've ran two trails with it and it seems solid, though the Hi-Lift did hit the tailgate hinge. I'll add a rubber bumper behind the tire to the tailgate to stop it.

My 2x2" sidesteps with gritty tape was hard and somewhat unsafe for the kids to use, so I widened a section and put on rubber 'diamond plate', these work much better.

sidestep.JPG

In between these my original console was starting to fall apart so I bought a Tuffy Security Console which is great, more space, a comfy and perfectly placed arm rest, and steel cup holders ;)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Is the handle for the swingaway locking? I would recommend getting one and get it in stainless but otherwise looks great!

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I didn't get the locking one, I forget why (I bought it 2 years when I started working on it), it is stainless though. I had the non-locking on my previous Bullet Proof MFG carrier and never had a problem.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I didn't get the locking one, I forget why (I bought it 2 years when I started working on it), it is stainless though. I had the non-locking on my previous Bullet Proof MFG carrier and never had a problem.
Stainless is key, I didn't think it would be a big deal it started rusting right away. For me it was piece of mind, after watching a CJ with a swingaway swing open leaving a gas station I decided to do locking plus the extra step ensures that it is actually attached as it won't click otherwise.

brylade

Where did you get the rubber diamond plate?

Looks like a solution to a problem I'm having.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Home Hardware in Kanata, off Michael Cowpland Ave. about 5 years ago. It has a sticky backing but I screwed it down.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Home Hardware in Kanata, off Michael Cowpland Ave. about 5 years ago. It has a sticky backing but I screwed it down.

Holy crap, has it really been there for 5 years?

Mods look good - still planning on a new family cage I presume? Nailed down which one?

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Holy crap, has it really been there for 5 years?

Mods look good - still planning on a new family cage I presume? Nailed down which one?

I'm deciding on which a-pillar mounts, and still looking for main hoop floor mounts.

O.D.

Club Member
Do you have specs richard for the rear carrier? I like the setup and i need to make something of a rack on mine.....

Looks good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Do you have specs richard for the rear carrier? I like the setup and i need to make something of a rack on mine.....

Looks good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What kind of specs? All tubing is 0.120, I think the hinge pin was this one:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-1-8-x-6-1-4-in-hitch-pin/A-p3806841e
I'd have to double check the tubing I used for the hinge, but the inner one was ~0.250 and the outer that I welded to was 0.120.

It's holding my 130lbs wheel just fine, even when swung open.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Finally some pics of my cage Mike built for me. I'm very happy with it, should be stronger than the Frankenstein factory bars and pipe I had and I like the look. I did compromise rear passenger head protection for the soft-top so I'll have to address that sometime.

I've since put foam padding on most of the upper bars, just don't have a pic yet.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I decided to make my own phone and GPS mount to roll bar adapters, the white plastic in these pics which I later painted black. By loosening the hose clamp I can move or rotate the mount.

And I'm probably the only person here that welded protection plates to his radio? Maybe this will become the next big thing :p

I have a leak somewhere behind my dash and gets on the radio.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
And this happened to my internal beadlock on the way to the expedition:

Rather than buy a replacement I'm going to try to sell the other three, after I have time to pull them all out. I don't do enough serious crawling to justify having them, and won't air down as much as before.

Function > Form

Club Member
I don't think I saw your build before. Very nice!! I like the rear bumper...gives me some ideas for what I want to do for my rear bumper this winter.