CO2 Tank vs Air Compressor/Tank?

S

snippy

I've been looking at air-down/up solutions to get a bit more traction on the trails (until I'm forced to go with lockers).

I plan on picking up a set of tire deflators, but was wondering what people are using to air back up?

CO2 seems fast and dirt easy, though I'm not sure where to get the tanks refilled in Ottawa. A 10# tank CO2 should do approx 24+ air-ups from 10psi back to 26psi before I'd need to get it refilled, so maybe every 2 months.

The other option, is a 12V compressor with a...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
You have to be careful with the duty cycles on alot of the 12V compressors. Most of them are meant for regular sized tires and not four 35s. They are also very slow. Alot have used them (me included) but you are looking at 15 min plus per tire. I'm not familliar with what PA is selling right now but to be worth while you need to have something with fairly high output.

Personally I'd go for onboard air (of the engine driven variety) over CO2 or 12V. It's fast, never runs out and once you have paid for the initial setup, you are done and can also run air tools for repairs. No refills, no tank rentals, no running out, no forgetting to refill before the long trip.....

There are also some high quality/high output 12V available but I don't know which are worth it. I think Richard has the ARB one and TitanWinch from this board has some on his site.

Lockers are worth their weight in gold when you get there but airing down is definately the first step.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
My 10 lb tank is 20 bucks to fill at (insert company name here) on Percy St. They do it onsite, when you show up, no shipping it out like some places. Lasts me all season. Now that I have air tools to go with it, it may get used a little more. Mine is a true Powertank, I got it dirt cheap from a friend who won it, and is not a wheeler. Be careful if you plan to build your own, all regulators are not created equal.

S

snippy

My 10 lb tank is 20 bucks to fill at (insert company name here) on Percy St. They do it onsite, when you show up, no shipping it out like some places. Lasts me all season. Now that I have air tools to go with it, it may get used a little more. Mine is a true Powertank, I got it dirt cheap from a friend who won it, and is not a wheeler. Be careful if you plan to build your own, all regulators are not created equal.

Was thinking of one of these, http://www.offroadairstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=7, apparently the same quality as the PowerTank gear but at 1/3rd the price.

Would be great if you could remember the name/type of store you get it filled at :)

Edit: doh, already answered while I was looking elsewhere :)

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Was thinking of one of these, http://www.offroadairstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=7, apparently the same quality as the PowerTank gear but at 1/3rd the price.

Would be great if you could remember the name/type of store you get it filled at :)

Edit: doh, already answered while I was looking elsewhere :)

I wouldn't call it 1/3 the price, 1/2 the price though. :glasses:
Mine has an adjustable regulator, which I pretty much always run at 150PSI, so I can see why they just have theirs set at 150 and leave it there. In our world there really isn't a need to have it adjustable. So on that note, I say go for it!

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I think Richard has the ARB one

I think you're remembering the cheapy compressor I jerry-riged for my ARBs, I never had the brand name one.

I went with onboard (engine driven) air since I have ARBs that need a constant pressure, but if all you want it for is tires all these solutions will work.

berger

I know this is an old thread, but I think I am going to go down this route, especially if it lasts you all year. I am getting a headache trying to find the right 24v setup for the truck, and if I need a tank anyway (400 series ViAir), why not CO2.

Can you guys tell me where can I get price out a tank in Ottawa?

berger

Seems there is some concern in the US about Smittybilt tanks not being filled by certain companies because of safety. Maybe a rumour. Spoke with someone at Trail-Gear and they are going to verify that the TC-SU stamp is present.

junkpile

$500 seems pricey! I'm curious about using air tools, how much CO2 can possibly be squeezed into that 15lbs tank?

trixter192

Club Member
Nitrogen also another option. Reg is 250 (refrigeration), and hack a hose up, good to go. Not sure about the price on tanks......$180 with deposit????

berger

I thought I read somewhere that Nitrogen doesn't last as long in the tanl. Seems the benefit of CO2 is it will last all year, depending on usage. Don't go trailing, it will hold. Waiting to hear back about tank.

Sent from my Mobile

berger

Call me anal, but I had to be sure.... :D

Sent from my Mobile

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
$500 seems pricey! I'm curious about using air tools, how much CO2 can possibly be squeezed into that 15lbs tank?

Using tools my tank easily lasts a weekend but yes, its obviously a finite amount.

And now with 38's it doesn't last as long as it used too, and of course I lend it out to anyone in need.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

berger

So would you say you are happy with the CO2 then? For my usage, it seems to be the best option.

Sent from my Mobile

Last edited:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I love Terry's tank! It does come in handy. :D

Thanks again for all the times you've let me use it :beer: