Dear, Lift Kit gods, Help me on my adventure.

J

Jam

Whoa whoa whoa...

Gay big trucks? That's kind of an insult to my idea, isn't it?
I'll answer your questions no problem, that's what I'm here for.
But the thread could lose the "gay" insult, and all of that.
I came to this forum to talk to a bunch of nice people, not to
be insulted. (even if it's not directly at me).

I've never liked the look of jeeps, I think they're ugly and almost
as stupid looking as samurai and the like. But I respect people
and their rigs anyways.

Let's just all stop this whole "gay" insult, and the bashing ideas.

And get along.

Thanks for your help guys.

Oh and ps. I don't plan on making it a monster truck.
I'm thinking the 8 inch lift and the sawzall would do.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Wow, you just managed to insult the rigs of 95% of the users of this forum in one single sentence, and you expect non-criticizing answers. LoL Remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone will have one. I'm not fond of the "big gay trucks" myself, but I do see the odd nice one crossing over from Quebec everyday.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Gay big trucks? That's kind of an insult to my idea, isn't it?

Just an FYI - To context of this is that on PIRATE4X4.COM there is a forum dedicated to what they call "Big Gay Mud Trucks"

That is the back story on what people are saying.... It is not necessarily directed towards you.

Plus, this IS an off-roading forum. The truck you are thinking of building has nothing to do with off-road, hence the comments. There are better forums out there for what your trying to do.

:beer::beer:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Just an FYI - To context of this is that on PIRATE4X4.COM there is a forum dedicated to what they call "Big Gay Mud Trucks"

That is the back story on what people are saying.... It is not necessarily directed towards you.

Plus, this IS an off-roading forum. The truck you are thinking of building has nothing to do with off-road, hence the comments. There are better forums out there for what your trying to do.

:beer::beer:

Yep, that's exactly where the comment comes from. Sorry if it offended, and if you do take offense that easily, please don't go on Pirate for your own sake.

So what are the plans for the axles? T-case? What sort of gearing in mind? Brakes? Steering? 54's and road safe can be a very hard thing to accomplish, and it certainly won't be inexpensive. Good luck though.

szabotage

I've never liked the look of jeeps, I think they're ugly and almost
as stupid looking as samurai and the like. But I respect people
and their rigs anyways.

Let's just all stop this whole "gay" insult, and the bashing ideas.

And get along.

just another tidbit of info that separates the BGT guys from the offroaders. we don't put 'looks' as our top priority. I agree that jeeps are ugly and samurai's look girlie (IMO) but there's a reason why ppl build these trucks. a good build platform doesn't start with looks when it comes to offroading.

For me (and I'm sure many others here) I choose a platform that has been proven to be capable, has a good aftermarket support, good parts availability, reliability, and most of all, cheap to build/operate. maybe after that, I'll take the time to make it look less ugly and girlie.

not dissing your choice of truck, I personally would love to own a fullsize truck, but I think it'd be more suited as a work truck or tow rig with only creature comforts as mods.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Oh, and instead of saying "gay", we have a smilie for it, would that make you feel better?

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

:flipoff:

J

Jam

As for the plans for the truck and its purpose in its life Mud Lite,

I want something that Im proud to own, and I want something to be able to take anything I can throw at it. Itll definately be an offroad truck, that can hit a couple feet of mud. I wont go showing it off at car shows, or anything like that, because I dont plan on making it a french-chrome truck. I like the look of just the plain old, black.

Its not that I personally take offense to your "gay" comments, it just puts my personal satisfaction in a corner, and kicks it. You know? Just makes my ideas look bad.

If I can, Ill stay with as little lift as I can, and just hack out the wheel wells and most of the fenders and reinforce with some basic steel plate (thinner to keep it light, because itll already weigh over a ton when its all put together) . My goal is to make it my everyday driver, but like I said, can hit any trail I can throw at it.

I know, with the amount of lift the tires will give me, I cant hit the trails yall are hitting that are really tight squeezes, but thats fine with me.

The fundage for this project is because 2 winters ago, I was in a friends car, and I ended up in a coma for 14 days, in the hospital for 4, and walked away with fractured skull, brain damage, collapse lungs, and a split pancreas. And thats only the top of the list. Ive lost 2 years of my freedom as a person, aswell as all the other difficulties I experience, so my settlement will help me through times that I couldnt get through by myself. After all of that, I think I deserve to buy something that makes me happy, because that was and still is a hell of a fight.

Again, thanks guys for your help and co operation, I know im a pain in the ass, but Ill give the help back any way I can to yall. (Hah, get your mind out of the gutter)

James

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
My goal is to make it my everyday driver, but like I said, can hit any trail I can throw at it.

Honestly, If the above is true, anything with that large of tires will suck as a daily driver and any Full-Size sucks off-road. If you really want to do the above, get one of those jeeps you hate so much or if you want to be uniqe and not do the Jeep thing, get a old Bronco or Scout, run 35's and selectable lockers and you will be able to spank any trail around here and still have a nice street truck...

my 2 Cents....

J

Jam

Well, okay lol. I admit it. Itll be more of a fun truck. :) Definately a two and from trail truck though. And I know of some spots that no trucks as of yet can make it through, my buddy says he sits there and laughs at people who get stuck. Some quarry.....

And definately get the rockies and the locking diff. Like I said, Im going to lift it as LITTLE as I can, and hack her till they fit.

szabotage

you got the right idea bout keeping it low, one thing the BGT boys have no concept of. if you pull it off I'd at least like to see how it turned out. unless yer throwing rockwells under your truck, I'd prolly not lock your diff(s) or your buddy will really get a good laugh when you bust your junk in that mudhole. I'm guessing he's talking bout dwyer hill pit. cute trail :p

btw, what are rockies? rockwells? have fun looking!

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
My goal is to make it my everyday driver, but like I said, can hit any trail I can throw at it.

As I said before, to even make 54's streetable and safe at all is going to take a whole pile of money and research. Keeping it low is a good start. Again, I recommend you check out Overson Engineering for some HD Rockwell parts. I've heard of a lot of folks breaking the stock shafts in the Rocks with the 54's.

Good luck, and make sure you post a build thread.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Are pinion brakes even legal on the street? Do they make disc conversions to move them to the hub?

D

Dirk

Jam, are you looking for input/advice on the build? If so people need to understand some design criteria.
You already mentioned the type of use, DD and some off-road. If one of the criteria is 53's, ok go with that. But there is more to consider than tire height. For looks, go with what turns your crank...after all its your money. But for offroad capability, ground clearance is much more important than static tire diameter. Without looking at all the numbers, 53's with Rockwells probably have less clearance than 49's or 47's on 60's. They would also be easier to fit and turning radius would be better, etc... While 53's and rocks will be super wide, heavy, not turn well, etc...
Just saying, look at all the angles.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Are pinion brakes even legal on the street? Do they make disc conversions to move them to the hub?

Pinion brakes are likely not street legal. And even if they were, would you want to drive a truck that only had two brakes?

There are disc conversions. Ouverson's are super nice, but spendy. About $1k a corner, with the hub conversion.

O.D.

Club Member
No, they are not. I attempted to go that route, but was told no. Now... If you found someone who'd safety regardless.... Well, that's another story.

Mlorint

If the vehicle is already on the road there is no need to worry about having it safetied. pinion brakes are good for parking brakes, but as main brakes they build to much heat and would boil the brake fluid.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Not worried about the safety certificate part, I myself would be more worried about the being pulled over part. It's not like 54's would attract attention or anything!!! And if the cop, or MTO dude, knows his stuff, that is a sure way to get the book thrown at you. Been pulled over twice in the Sami, just driving around town, they so far have liked my "My work number is 911" license plate liner and have only checked for insurance and the lot. And that's on 38's, imaging 16"'s taller!! LoL

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Without looking at all the numbers, 53's with Rockwells probably have less clearance than 49's or 47's on 60's.

My understanding is that with a shave on the Rocks, it'll have better clearance actually, on the same tires. Still going to be very, very heavy and quite wide, though.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
When you are starting with a 7000 lbs truck to begin with, what's another few thousand pounds of axle & tire?
It's got to be under 102" wide not including mirrors to be legal

What engine you got in this truck? Going to need some serious power to turn 54s even with proper gearing.