Diesel in a TJ

J

Joust

now that is interesting. he wants $2500 for a 5clyinder. complete enigne and tranny.
seems steep. is it?
apparently you need nothing to run it other than whats there.
i'm pretty ignorant of Deisel operation so I don't know.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
well you have to ask him about couple of things: DIP, turbo, starter, alternator, glow plugs relay and harness. for me those are the major things - the rest need to be modified anyway - engine brackets, trotle cable, air filter box, fuel lines, etc. anyway sounds as a good offer compared to Cummins B4 engine prices.

J

Joust

he said it comes with everything it needs to run except the harness and mounts.

I'm looking into getting a Landcruiser 1/2cut. probably get that for the same price .....I hope.

R

Root Moose

Mitko, was just curious, what are the issues with the 4BT? I'm not interesting in diesels other than curiosity. I saw this 4BT swapped into a Jeep MJ and thought it was pretty cool and almost OEM looking.

J

Joust

I think the main issue is finding one... :)
I don't really know at this point. I'm just researching now. The Toyota diesel route seems more promissing though.

R

Root Moose

The guys in the U.S. say all the bread vans / chip trucks (Grumman bodied stuff) were converted from gas SBC power to 4BT/TH400 - that is where they look for donors.

I don't know if it is the same thing up here.

J

Joust

yeah I read that too.
I'll keep a lookout but not much hope of finding an old bread truck. I think Japanese hack and slash importers are far more common.

R

Root Moose

Did you try munropi or carleton automotive? I know they sometimes have that kind of vehicle kicking around, at least delivery trucks, busses, etc.

Ultimately I guess you need to determine what you feel is better - Cummins or Toyota. Hard call - not sure which I'd pick.

C

Cummins Land-Rover

The easiest thing would probably be to sell the TJ and to buy a diesel truck. There are tons of JDM Land-Cruisers with good diesels that can be had for under 15K$. By the time you swap out everything in the TJ to bring it ot the level of the Land-Cruiser (better axles, better trans, better driveshafts, better T case, better brakes, etc) you could have a really sweet Land-Cruiser, and have a much more reliable vehicle to boot. The TJ is a good vehicle for what it is, but taking one and turning it into something totally different is a massive undertaking.

I have done a few diesel swaps and unless you are willing to spend a huge amount of time, effort and money they generally don't work out too well. They require a LOT of engineering. You end up spending days just doing boring stuff like running fuel lines so they are routed properly.

The cost savings issue is debatable, fuel costs do not amount to major savings when the conversion costs are factored in. It would eventually pay itself off in a daily driver but it takes a long time, and you would have to start with a very inefficient vehicle, and get an efficient engine.

I don't know why the 4BT is so popular as a swap, the 6BT is such a much better engine. The 4BTs do not have cylinder overlap so they rattle like crazy, they are loud, they are heavy (only 200 lbs lighter than the 6), are weaker, and they are sooo expensive! You can buy a running driving Dodge 6BT with a 727 for 2000$. Your options in smaller vehicles are limited due to size, but it can be made to fit anywhere (as anyone who's seen my Land-Rover can confirm).

My personal solution to the fuel issue is a 60+ MPG VW TDI and a 20 MPG Cummins powered pickup. The truck sees maybe 15K a year and the VW sees 50K.

BYW I have a 3.4L Land-Cruiser diesel drivetrain I would sell if someone wanted it. It would be a much better swap for a 4 runner or mini truck, which is why I was saving it, but I have too many projects...

R

Root Moose

Hey J-L, what engine code is the 3.4?

Not interested, just curious. :)

I agree with you on all that. I have to wonder how much of a PITA it is to live with a RHD vehicle as a daily driver. The auto trader is "lousy" with RHD FJ80s right now.

C

Cummins Land-Rover

Hey J-L, what engine code is the 3.4?

Not interested, just curious. :)

I agree with you on all that. I have to wonder how much of a PITA it is to live with a RHD vehicle as a daily driver. The auto trader is "lousy" with RHD FJ80s right now.

It's a 3B... 3.4L 4 cyl diesel. H55F trans. I personally can't stand RHD but I know many people who like it just fine.