Family runner

Djtc

Curious how much lift these will give, I need to keep her fairly low so my wife (5'4") can access the baby seat in the back��

I think It would be too high for your needs.I didn't have the time to measure but i'm guestimating they gave me a 4.5" lift in the back.I also have a steeel plate bumper in the back that might of brought it down a little.

Us 3rd gens should get together sometime I know there's a few of us around.

junkpile

Yeah 41/2" would be too high, if it's not too much trouble I'm still curious about that measurement though. I'm sitting at just under 23" unloaded. I think 25"- 26" unloaded would be perfect. I know they are flexible but do you find them any stiffer than stock?

junkpile

Did a little more work on the front bumper over the weekend, I had the eyebrow tubes originally running over the headlamps but something just didn't look right so I moved them down. They'll still do the job and I think they suit the runner better down low,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366065833.185172.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366065862.736597.jpg

junkpile

Gonna drop that bone and start on the rear bumper,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366066104.520538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366066150.152649.jpg
The rear cross is a chunk of 2x4x1/8" that I had left over from a trailer job. Notched the ends,

and it slips right over the frame perfectly

Last edited:

junkpile

Well I have a little more rear bumper work done and ready for documentation. I decided to use some 1/8" checker plate to fill in the open spaces in the tube work, and added a lip at the rear edge to keep bits from rolling off between the bumper and body, acts like a nut/bolt/parts tray.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367180512.396324.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367180541.351490.jpg
(not that I would ever need such a feature on the trail in a quality Toyota product)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367180460.799142.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367180460.799142.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

junkpile

Well after completing the rear bumper I decided I'd repair the ever noisier exhaust leak coming from the broken weld seam at the front of the cat. At first I thought I'd just weld up the seam and call it fixed, but I really wasn't happy with the old tailpipe dangling down way below the new bumper
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367187918.048215.jpg
So I figured I'd better take the whole thing down and build it the way I want it, well holy melted cat!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367188020.457760.jpg
I was a little surprised to see this after it passed the e-test with flying colours and never made any rattle noise. I guess at one point in her history she suffered from a heavy missfire, or maybe an unlucky tank of one of Shell's "special blends". So I guess it's a good thing I didn't just patch it after all. Might be able to squeeze a bit more mileage and possibly a pony or two out of her after I replace this half blocked catalytic converter!

junkpile

Stole the right side cat off of a Liberty "y" pipe (the left had melted) a few years back to get my ol' Cherokee through an e-test and now that the Cherokee has been put out to pasture I might as well move it on over to the 4runner:)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367266103.497425.jpg
Then I stuck together some bits of stainless(ish) exhaust in to a new sleeker tailpipe that slips between the body and frame, up out of harms way
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367266409.864002.jpg

junkpile

While I still had it up on the stands I decided to swap in some front Comanche coils and shocks, they look like they just might fit with some minor adjustments,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286631.037938.jpg
They'll work upside down if I nick a bit off the narrow end,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286689.988654.jpg
Also I have to change the lower shock mount from a dog bone to the large toy bushing,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286736.423109.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286767.022837.jpg
It all fit in nicely!
However it sits about two inches taller than I think I can get away with, these shocks are about an inch longer than the originals but these coils leave only about 2" of droop. I took it for a quick 10km run around the block tonight, definitely more firm out back, but not too bad. I'll take it for a good run tomorrow and see....

junkpile

If you are looking for a bit of lift and extra load carrying capacity and curious about fitting the shocks and coils from a TJ/XJ/MJ into the rear of your 3rd gen T4r, you can. I think that the 4cyl coils would probably be just about the perfect spring rate, the 6cyl coils are pretty stiff when not loaded down. Netted almost 4" of lift,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367333341.848808.jpg
Soooo is anyone sitting on a pair of coils from the front of their 2.5l TJ?

98AT

Right on man that's interesting. I'm still on the fence about a lift, this idea now has me curious, looks like a nice height from the picture. So you used 4cyl TJ/XJ springs and shocks?

junkpile

Thanks man! I used the springs and shocks from my 6cyl Comanche, but I would like to try some 4cyl coils. I think they'd be a bit softer and sit about an inch lower than these.

98AT

You think they would work for the front also? You just still have your poly spacers up front? If the 4cyl sit an inch or so lower that would almost be the exact height I'm going for.

I was thinking about going for the OME 3" kit but this has me interested and would be a lot cheaper I imagine.

junkpile

First question- I'm not sure what you mean?
Second- yes I'm still running just the 1" poly spacers up front with stock coils on new KYB gas shocks and mounts

As far as cost goes, I had to replace the leaky front shocks and rusted mounts which cost me $270, plus the $10 of poly. I already had the Comanche coils and shocks i used in the rear so it cost me a grand total of $280.

Last edited:

junkpile

I put about 250kms on it today, other than being a touch too stiff in the rear it worked great! I had previously removed the front sway bar, and last night I broke three bolts removing the rear sway bar so I left if off. At first the added height and no sway bars felt a little twitchy at speed but by the end of today's run that twitchy feeling was gone, it felt very predictable. I really love these Sachs gas charged shocks I stuck in the rear, those clever German engineers got these right!

junkpile

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369098858.157834.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369098887.004967.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369098916.008805.jpg
I wasn't sure how the Comanche coils were going to flex but they seem to work very well, :) so far, after three weeks of seat time, I'm very happy with the on road and off-road manners. I really appreciate the extra load carrying capacity too!

98AT

Looks like you get some good rear flex with those coils. I just replaced coils and shocks on my 4runner last week,really happy with the ride.