Family SxS 4wd Buggy

daaboots

I thought some local folks would enjoy my latest project. I've build dune buggies before, but this is the first 4wd multi-passenger machine that I've ever tackled. The drive-train is from a 2009 RZR 800 and the engine is a 2002 Suzuki GSXR 600 street bike. I'll be running 30" 8 ply tires, 12" ground clearance, and 14" of suspension travel. The frame is completely designed by me in 3d CAD (Sketchup) and will used square tube on the bottom section of the frame and 1.5" round tube for the roll...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Very intrigued, and I'll be watching this.

Which powder coat kit did you get, and how do you like the results so far? Just using a regular oven, or build your own?

daaboots

I'm using the Eastwood dual voltage gun and a regular house oven. Results are pretty good now that I've gotten the hang of things. All parts are sandblasted and degreased before applying powder.

daaboots

wow, impressive.
Is sketchup any one can get? Or is it a cost commercial thing.

The personal version is free, and there are tons of tutorial videos on youtube to help get you going.
http://www.sketchup.com/download

DraftSight, used for the 2d CAD stuff, is made by the same company as SolidWorks. It's also free and there are many great tutorial videos as well. The really nice thing about DraftSight is that you can export your file as a DXF and have plate work cut by a laser cutting machine.
https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

daaboots

Working on getting the trans and engine mounted.

I had OVO member Mike (Mlorint) cut these plates for me using his CNC plasma table. Turned out great!

Last edited:

daaboots

Time for an update. Now that I sold my 250 Microburst, I really need to get moving on this one. I have a big run coming up on June 10 and I want to have it finished by then!

Rear upright mounts are finally done!

Finally finished the jig table for the rear upper a-arms.

Hopefully I'll get the rear lower a-arms done this week!

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
LOL - I should trade the Dodge for a Smart Car, the shop space would triple instantly.

Looks awesome, and I'll probably be reaching out to you next winter for a small part I need made. Presuming I don't say screw it and get an Atlas/Hero case.

daaboots

LOL - I should trade the Dodge for a Smart Car, the shop space would triple instantly.

Looks awesome, and I'll probably be reaching out to you next winter for a small part I need made. Presuming I don't say screw it and get an Atlas/Hero case.

I'm really enjoying the Smart car. It's the full electric model - no gas! My monthly payment is about the same as my monthly gas bill before, and it only uses about $35 worth of electricity a month.

I checked my schedule and I have lots of free time next winter :glasses: What did you have in mind?

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Looking for a specific way of doing a twin stick mount, and need the pivot point machined. Nothing major.

daaboots

Finished the rear a-arms! Next video will be up tomorrow.

Arched for max clearance in the bush - gives me an extra 1.5" under the arms.

junkpile

And why not right??!! The load is on the uppers. Great design!
(I'm assuming the coil overs are attached to the uppers...)