Need a baterie

07RUBI

Hey guy i need a new bat for my JK and was wondering if u had any suggestion on which one to buy, i was looking at optima s but i know there's other type out there and just wanted ur advice/ideas

Z

zuk4life

i have had the same optima since 2002. thats got to say something about how good they are .it still works like new .

A

Andy4802

Optima's quality has gone downhill IMO. I replaced my redtop twice on the same warranty (yes 3 batteries)... Since the last time it died I switched to cheap WalMart Energizer batteries for all 3 of my trucks and they work awesome.

louie

I have had less then stellar results from optimas, but know many that have good results with them. Personally I have had great results with odyssey's!

T

troy0873

I love Optimas, had a red top in my 03 Tiburon with a fairly big stereo never had a problem now i have a yellow top in my jeep no problem, and i use the winch quite a bit.

O.D.

Club Member
where are people buying thier crappy optimas? If you are getting them at Walmart or Costco, that is the reason. Go to Total Battery!

Why is that John?

I had read that somewhere else as well however i don't understand how a product can be of lower quality in one store than the other? Are the wally/ cco batteries a sub make just for them??

07RUBI

I think im gona go with the yellow top since i plan to get a winch and more lights and all the good stuff and from what i read the yellow is made for that and spare my alt to thanks for the help guys

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
+1 for total Battery - But while your there get the odyssey - fuck Optima ;) Since I made the switch from the yellow top optima I had, things have been great. Have not had to put a charger on the Buggy for three years now and it always start, even after sitting for 4 months in the winter.. I always has the power to run the winch, even with the motor off and the buggy on it's side ;)

I heard the the difference in quality for the big box stores is a wives tale but can't find the source anymore...

Compare the specs for yourself:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php

http://www.odysseybattery.com/autospecs.html

W

whateverworks

Why is that John?

I had read that somewhere else as well however i don't understand how a product can be of lower quality in one store than the other? Are the wally/ cco batteries a sub make just for them??

I'll answer that...
Walmart and Costco control the price they pay for these batteries... And in that sense they are manufactured cheeper than say an Optima you would get from Total Battery or other places that only deal in batteries... You will be able to tell the difference by looking at them if they are side by side as well
The walmart or costco optima will have a different shade of grey bottom on them compared to one from Total Battery...
I have had the same Optima red top for almost 8 years and absolutely no issues with it what so ever..
I have heard many raves about Odyssey batteries as well but can not confirm this from personal experience.
As with anything in this world... You get what you pay for.
Kelly

R

Root Moose

I replaced the Optima in my Jeep with an Odyssey after the Opti crapped the bed (~3 years, Walmart version - before I knew about the above).

Maybe it's all in my head but there was noticeable difference in even stupid things like how solid and non-waivering the backlight on the instrumentation was. Jeep started without hardly turning over too. It could be that I got used to the Optima in its dying days but the known good, temp battery I got in there so that I could go buy the Odyssey showed the same characteristics.

I put a small Odyssey in the race car also... saved at least 10 lbs off the OEM battery that came with the car.

The Odysseys are more expensive but you get what you are paying for in this instance (rare these days). Whether that is something you think is worth paying for is something only you can answer.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
The Walmart thing makes sense now to me. I believe the Odessy's are also built to MIL Spec as well, another + You can get my 1500 for ~250 from Summit, saving over $100 from Total Battery if you want to save some cash....

R

Root Moose

It's not just batteries either. Things like lawn tractors and such at big chains are not the same as the ones you get at a specialty store. Sometimes the model nmbers on items differ, sometimes not. Hell of a way for a company to screw their reputation but then the MBAs are ruling the world now and running everything into the ground on the merit of getting shareholders a few more pennies next quarter.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
I've read on a plumber's forum that big chain stores are willing to accept product with minor defects to get a lower price, compared to specialty plumbing supply stores. So American Standard is not standardized everywhere ;)

I got a Yellow Top from Total Battery several years ago and it's been great to me.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
There has been numerous threads on Jeepforum about Optimas and how their quality has dropped over the last few years. They are now recommending the DieHard Platinum (not the Gold) which supposedly is an Odyssey repackaged. Unfortunately it is not available above the border.

Caveat: I have an Optima Yellowtop (bought at Total Battery) and it is about four years old and haven't had any issues with it. I got it for my jeep right after I bought it. However when I was looking, at that time everyone was recommending them and within 6 months the tide had turned. Next time I need one I will probably either get an Odyssey or go south and get a DieHard Platinum. Regarding Costco/Walmart, what has been said above is very true. Future Shop is another one where they were doing the same thing (don't think this is true anymore since Best Buy bought them out). This was predominantly in their printers where they would get the company to make a specific model for them that would always be a couple bucks cheaper so they could keep their prices lower.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I've had the same red top optima in mine for almost 5 years now no problems and it's a walmart one. I think i got lucky with it because i read somewhere that the optimas that wallyworld sell are remanufatured (or reconditioned) hence the much lower price. When it does finally die i'll either get a non-remanufactured optima or an odessy, depending on what's the better deal at that time.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
My blue top is from Costco. Total Battery didn't have any in stock at the time and I think the Odyssey was $100 more, so I went with the Optima. I've had good success with the motomaster batteries from CT. Good warranty... I had to exchange 3 dead batteries before I determined the jeep had a parasitic drain and was killing them :p Just bought one for Melissa's car, $119 with a five year warranty.

For what it's worth, I very distinctly remember an optima rep on pirate saying that there was no difference between the optima you buy at any store. They are all the same. (or so I recall)

O.D.

Club Member
Interesting concept.. I could easily see that happening...

Thanks for the rational.

Baja

I am running the CT spiral in my jeep and have not had any problems. Very good warrenty, although they are pretty much the same price as a optima. I killed 3 optimas (2 red and a yellow) before switching.

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
i ran the yellowtop from cosco in my truck for years, it worked well, but not what i would consider optima standards. was not the same looking as total abttery as mentioned, and had the higher CCA (there were different levels avialable) but in the end it died what i would call premture for sure. replaced it with a motomaster and that worked till i sold truck. i was going the route of an adyssey next.

gl