Need a baterie

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
i ran the yellowtop from cosco in my truck for years, it worked well, but not what i would consider optima standards. was not the same looking as total abttery as mentioned, and had the higher CCA (there were different levels avialable) but in the end it died what i would call premture for sure. replaced it with a motomaster and that worked till i sold truck. i was going the route of an adyssey next.

gl

That looks like some good quality drunk posting there... Spellchecker broken? ;)

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I had 2 optima's one crapped out. The other I sold with the old jeep. The new jeep I got an odyssey. And its been an awesome battery.

I have heard many stories of optima's crapping out. Havnt heard a single case of an odyssey crapping out.

Yes the odyssey's are Mil spec. They are a far superior battery once looking at the specs. If I remember correctly they are designed to last like 10-12years or something like that.
Worth the little bit extra money in my opinion.

B

Big-Hoe

I bought two Canadian tire spirals, one 5 years ago and one 2 years ago. I run the older one in the Tahoe and it has been in three different vehicles now. The second one I bought for a dual battery setup in the Tahoe. I thought I might need two because I only drive the 'hoe on weekends and we leave the tunes on for long periods while fishing and camping. No problems at all so far, never needed to bother with the dual battery so my friend started using it in his truck. He is a courier, averaging 1000 km's a week and has had the battery for over a year. Before that it just sat in my basement getting charged every month or two when I might remember to do it.
I have no complaints with the CP batteries. However, I don't winch and I have 4 spare alternators for my truck. I frequently check my charging system for output, corrosion, poor connections, frayed or otherwise damaged wires and I use dielectric grease like it's going out of style.
I am certainly not an electrical engineer, but I would venture a guess and suggest how you use your battery is far more important than which one you should buy. If you are winching with rotten cables, poor connections and a bad alternator. Buy batteries from the scrap yard. If you honestly take care of the above mentioned, I would think any high quality battery would serve you well. If you don't take proper care of the whole system, even NASA spec batteries will die prematurely.
Just my 2 cents, or maybe 20 cents, since I seem to have gone off on a bit of a rant, LOL!

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
On Sunday my Jeep failed to start, not enough power in the battery. I charged my Optima Yellow Top overnight and it was the same in the morning. So yesterday I read through these posts and was planning to go buy an Odyssey the next day. Last night, before taking out the Optima for recycling, I jiggle the wires and tried to start the Jeep one more time and it turned over and started no problem!

So a lesson to everyone, always check your connections before blaming the battery. This is the second time that dirty connections made me think my battery was done; the first time it cost me a weekend of wheeling as I returned home before discovering the real problem.

07RUBI

IT did turn up that my bat is still good it was some accessories plus on it that was drawing the power some how when it wanted lol not all the time so after the plug in set up no more problem but i will still get a new bat just cuz of the age of it

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Got a 34/78-PC1500 (top and side posts) today which fits great on the YJ tray.

Odyssey.jpg

$337.29+core+tax at Total Battery with "Reward" membership (I had to give them an e-mail address).

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
There is some truth with the DieHard Platinum being rebadged Odyssey's. What they really are is rebadged Enersys batteries who make the Odyssey batteries:
http://www.enersysreservepower.com/
Here is a list that they build for:
Cyclon [formally Gates spiral wound VRLA]
Monobloc
DataSafe series [Wet and VRLA]
Genesis [VRLA]
Dyna-Batt for Performance Distributors
NP [VRLA]
NP-Gel [Gel Cell VRLA]
XE, (Extreme Environments) [Formally Hawker XT]
Hawker Siddley [Aircraft]
Odyssey, (US) ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site
DieHard Platinum [AGM Starting], (US) 1-800-349-4358, contact local Sears store, contact local NTB, (National Tire and Battery) store, or http://www.sears.com/
Dyna-Batt for Performance Distributors
Stinger, (US) +1-727-572-9255 or Stinger Electronics | Welcome
Power2 SP [AGM]
Power2 dB SP [AGM]
SPV [AGM]
Black Panther for Crischell Automotive Products, (US) 1-800-44CRANK
Predator
Powersafe Series [Wet and VRLA]
V Series [VRLA]
VHB Industrial Batteries Ltd., (Canada) +1-905-790-0730 or vhbbatteries.com
Varta bloc Series [VRLA]
Trolling Thunder [Deep Cycle AGM]

98AT

Go get a Battery @ Kenny U-Pull for $15.I picked up a practically Brand new AC Delco for my truck 2yrs ago and its still running strong,I bought another 2 last time I was there,both AC Delco and almost brand new,I paid a whopping $30 for both.These batteries brand new from a reatiler are $200+