pass vehicle plates on a pickup

szabotage

my current truck has the blue plates as it was originally a tintop samurai, can I still run the same plates now that it's been converted to a pickup truck? if not what's the easiest way to go about getting the commercial (black plates) without having to go and re safety and re register?

L

Lil Warlock

If it's still classed as a passenger vehicle on the ownership, and not commercial, then you can still run the "blue" plates. If you were to decide to change it to commercial, there should be no need for a safety check, as this is just done at the MTO office.

Last edited:
G

Grumpy

Mike is that truck done and ready for the road??? Pics please!!

Loco

I'd wheel it
So Mike, this begs the question: Where are the pic's? I've been looking forward to seeing the final result of your build for ages. ;) :beer:

szabotage

kinda off topic but since it's my thread I'll allow this. :glasses:

obviously it's not done yet am still a ways to go, but It's starting to really look like a truck now than the hacked up half a truck it used to be

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

If the VIN hasn't changed I don't think you need to do anything. Call MTO to confirm though.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Careful calling MTO doesn't open a can of worms as you will then be telling them you "heavily modified" the factory configuration of a vehicle, I don't see the problem with running the blue plates except if you got some observant cop who had a actually knew that Suzuki's didn't come in a close resemblance to what you have created. For that matter that same cop might have a problem with your configuration even if it is plated as a truck. The black plate is really to represent a "commercial" vehicle like when a company I used to work for had black plates on our cargo vans as it was required (which would not allow us to travel on the Parkway in Ottawa) but we also had 1-ton Ford passenger vans and they could run blue plates. Do you think you really need to change the plates? ElCaminos and those Subuaru Baja's have beds.

dj

szabotage

I was thinking the same, Chris, but I don't think that'll stop cops (especially the young rookies who like to flex their vehicle legality muscles) from pulling me over to try and call my bluff. I'd rather avoid the headaches where I can.

back when there were more of, I remember seeing ranchero's, el camino's and brats sporting both either a blue or black plate, even the occasional p/u with a slide in camper sporting a blue plate. so maybe my question should be if cops would give me a hard time if I drove the above vehicle with blue plates. this will be a DD, and work truck, not just a trail vehicle.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Need to paint those links black. Fairly conspicuous.

Szabo there is just one reason why I think your plates are the least of your problems, if a cop knows anything he will be all over the non-stock suspension, the lights that may be legal but are not what came with the truck, the big tires and to clear this up what does your registration say? Suzuki Samurai? Or was it an LJ because it is not that much different than Terry's to a young cop who doesn't know a Sammy from a Sprint. He will be more interested in how tall you are and how loud your exhaust is, oh and yeah there favourite big tires without anyway to stop them from throwing stuff behind them. (Ask Terry....he got a ticket in for no mud flaps with 35's on his Runner as he threw snow on a cruisers hood lol). I would do it if MTO doesn't ask if why you want to change and they just accept that you like the look of a black plate better. It will still be registered as a SUV if it is now so it doesn't truly help your "truck" issue.

Dwayne

Oh and BTW the truck looks good :beer:

Last edited:

szabotage

everything's legit, numbers, name and model match, mudflaps will be going on as well as fender flares, as much as I hate them, I'm hoping to pick up some bfg at's of similar size so I don't have to run the swampers, and as for the lift, it really only has 2" up front and 3" in the rear from stock. it sits pretty low actually. it's mostly all virtual lift with cut front fenders and a raised bed (underneath the bed is also a storage space, air tank, dual batteries aside from the gas tank and muffler)

oh and when I get the time i do wanna paint the links black ;)

R

Root Moose

Meh. Just stay out of Kanata and you'll be fine (when I used to have a Samurai every time I went into Kanata with it I got pulled - never ticketed though). :)

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Trucks with custom plates or with the pic on them are blue. Even commercial. There only black if you get a regular plate.

szabotage

hey logan, I think that's the best idea yet, I don't mind cruising round with a duck, trillium or sports team on my plate. how much do those plates cost?

L

Lil Warlock

If you want to spend the money... you can have the plates your rinnin now personalized. They just register your current plates as personalized at MTO, and then you can run them on anything. Not sure of $$$. May charge full personalized price. Would have to check. Just an idea.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Fee Table
Personalized, Graphic and
Sample Plates

Cost

2 to 8 character personalized plates $251.65

2 to 6 character plates with a graphic $336.40

Convert a regular series plate to a personalized plate $251.65

Motorcycle plates (2 to 5 characters)
Please note that personalized licence plates are not available for limited-speed motorcycles. $251.65

Add a graphic to a personalized series plate $138.65

Regular series graphic plate $82.15

Regular series sample plate
(Out of Canada request $15.00, GST/HST not required) $16.95

Sample plate with a graphic $33.90

Reorder of personalized plates (i.e., replacement) $99.10

Reorder of graphic plates (i.e., replacement) $53.90

Prices include GST/HST. All personal cheques must be certified unless payment is sent by mail.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/plates.shtml

szabotage

thanks again, logan. I'm guessing I'd fit under the Regular series graphic plate for $82.15 since I just want a simple graphic with no personal message

szabotage

warlock, I'm sure I can run my current plate as personalized to the MTO but my concern is with cops who will negate that and challenge what appears to be a pass. veh. plate, just as rootmoose said he was constantly pulled over even tho he never got ticketed. I want to avoid the pull over headache explaining my situation like a broken record to every cop that wants to bust me. if a graphic plate can prevent that, I don't mind spending the extra lil bit to prevent that.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I'm with Dwayne, I think the colour of the plate is the last thing they'd pull you over for. If you did get pulled over, they might try to make an issue of it but don't know the specifics of the laws if it would be legit or not.

Unless things have changed in the last couple years, the black plates are not exclusively for commercial vehicles. They are truck plates. Mind you, MTO expects trucks to be commercial so the base plate is Commercial, that's what mine is as I use it for work. Most of them out there in reality have an extra little sticker (same size as the year validation) in the corner that says "Primarily for Personal Purposes". I had to take the extra sticker off when I switched it from personal use to business. With that sticker on, you can drive on the parkways no problem and it's not registered as a commercial vehicle.

If it's still registered as a Samurai, I'd leave the blue plate on as a Sam is pass vehicle. They never did make a Sam p/u did they?

If it were me, I'd leave it as is and play the dumb card if questioned. At that time, get it changed before you are pulled over a second time.

Last edited: