Project 444

M

Morley

I can measure, but the rear coils were not the main or, only reason.. He generally felt that the
truck, having a custom 4 link etc, is just not suited for the road.. And I agree "to an extent"... But it's not by any means ever going to be used on the road, unless I am getting ''to'' and ''from'' a trail...

I have 2 other main DD's (camry and Taco) to do my daily activities..

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Might need to find a friend of a friend of a friend or something like that with a little hole in the wall of a shop that you can bribe into giving you the safety. :D

I wonder how the kit-car guys get safeties?

Good luck though.

D

Dirk

Safety checks in Ontario follow certain criteria, like working lights, brakes, certain amount of tread left on the tires, no holes into the passenger cabin, exhaust must end past the passenger cabin, working seat belts (if the vehicle was originally equipped with them), windshield not cracked (in the drivers view or wiper path or something like that), your horn has to work, steering linkage cannot have more than a small amount of play, and a couple others I can't think of at the moment.
Most mechanics are good judges of overall mechanical fitness of vehicles and usually after meeting the criteria the vehicle must meet will pass the safety inspection if modifications are done well and look sturdy. (this has always been my experience)
Some people, mechanics not excluded, take it upon themselves to crusade against anything they feel improper, even if it meets the norms set forth by a governing body. Maybe this is what you are dealing with?
Ask around for shops that deal with modified 4x4's regularly and check there if they would safety check the vehicle. It may be that the mechanic you are dealing with is not experienced with modified vehicles and therefore not comfortable certifying it.
Also, are you in the City? Try a smaller shop outside of the City, chaces are they are more experienced with modified trucks.
If they know you are getting it safetied for yourself, not to sell it certified, sometimes makes them feel safer and pass your vehicle. Also, safeties are valid for 30 days only, if you know the shop, promising you wont drive it on the road for 30 days, or licansing it on the 29th day may elliviate their concerns for getting stung, should you have an accident and it comes back onto them.

Last edited:
J

Joust

We need to find a club friendly guy thats qualified to give safeties.
I do not want to circumvent the true safety rules. I wouldn't want to drive an unsafe vehicle anyway.
but some of these guys are real sticklers. A guy In Carleton Place failed my car because the rear windshield wiper didn't travers the entire windshield. seems a plastic cog had lost some teeth. I said that this is not a basic safety requirement but he insisted that the rules stipulate that all stock equipment MUST be 100% functional.
These kinds of rules, I want to bend.

M

Morley

Pumpkin protection, Draglink stabilizer, tie rod stabilizer.
Steering has been much improved...

M

Morley

They're limiter straps...

Speaking of which, I would like to change to nylon.. Anyone have recommendations on brand?

M

Morley

This build is finished and for sale... see classified section...