Build Project Avalanche

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I am over due an update. As always, thanks to Andrew for all the long hours. And thank you to Mike I and Tim for dropping in occasionally to see how things were going and to lend a hand.

After deciding not to go with the 203/205 doubler, I called up North West Fab and had them send me out a black box. The black box is an underdrive with 2.72:1 ratio. This will essentially give me 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 5:1 ratio's (technically 4.68:1). Crawl ratio is now ~78. I had great service from NWF, always got someone on the phone when I called, and they rushed my order to get me an un-anodized black box assembled and out the door in three business days. I also ordered triple cable shifters from them as well.

After driving it shortly for two days at WAC, I was very happy with the new changes. 5:1 is pretty awesome, reverse shift pattern is nice too. I am looking forward to Phil Factor and Rausch later in the season!

You can virtually get 360 degree clocking out of one of these. We disassembled and rotated the halves to get the clocking we wanted.

Buggy gutted:

Because the driver side exhaust was going to be in the way of the new side mount for the transfer case, re-doing the exhaust got bumped up to this year. Andrew fabbed it, I poorly welded it :p

New side mount for the np205:

Andrew shortening the tail shaft on the transmission:

New shifter (Winters, reverse gate pattern), the triple shifters, and the rear steer valve re-mounted.

Rebuilt drive shafts and a new hanger bearing mount for the rear:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Did you have to change the input on the 205 at all? How much length did it end up adding to the drivetrain? I've been doing some reading on the Black Box (and likely will do the same for the ORD Magnum box) as it seems like the way to go for more gearing options with my 205 case as well.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
The nice thing about the black box is it is completely customizable. My ford 205 has a 32 spline input to mate to the th400, so I ordered a black box with 32 spline input, 32 spline output, and ford bolt pattern. It is possible to switch it up at a later time if I change transfer cases (say from np205 to atlas), I would just have to swap out the back half of the black box.

It's 7.25" long (so says the literature) and includes a 1/4" bracket that mates between the transfer case and the black box. I can measure it though... it seems to me we thought it was shorter than it actually was.

Did you have to change the input on the 205 at all? How much length did it end up adding to the drivetrain? I've been doing some reading on the Black Box (and likely will do the same for the ORD Magnum box) as it seems like the way to go for more gearing options with my 205 case as well.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I also clocked the 205 up from the original location, so now it is no longer hanging down below the chassis!

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I picked up a new trailer today. 15k lbs gvwr, tri-axle, 20' deck. It needs a little work, but is mostly serviceable as is. The plan this week is to re-do part of the wiring. The brakes weren't working, the front markers don't work, and there's some sketchiness in the rear tail lights. I'll service the bearings and call it good for now.

It will need a couple of cross members replaced, probably 6 new tires (it definitely needs 3), and hopefully a full deck if the cost of 5 sheets of checker plate isn't too bad. The rust is mostly surface, although there are a few holes, mostly in the front.

DSC_3090_800x by bradleyfitz, on Flickr

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Certainly fits the buggy a heck of a lot better. How long until a slide in camper ends up in the Dodge?

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Looks like I haven't done much to the buggy in a while :p

Last thing I did was back in 2015. The transmission wasn't sticking in park after the rebuild, so it had to get pulled again. Once we had it out, we discovered that one of the brackets can be installed two ways (unlike the th350), and mine was accidentally installed backwards (50/50 chance!). So while the transmission was out yet again, I installed a Moroso deep aluminum pan and their re-usable gasket.

Here's a pic of how the park pawl bracket should be installed. If it's flipped the other way, park won't stay engaged.

The only thing I did last year, was Andrew and I found a slightly better placement for the front driveshaft carrier bearing, which eliminated the rubbing that was happening under compression / articulation. It wasn't picture worthy :p
Oh, and I added some exhaust wrap so JeanGuy doesn't melt his sandles again. Still need to add heat shields, as the mufflers aren't wrapped, just the pipe.

The other day I was surfing kijiji and today I went and picked up some new tires :glasses:

54" TTC baja claw next to a 47" LTB.

Last edited:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Running them as is, or planning on any cutting? And what's the plan for the 47's?

As designed until I see how they perform. I'm not sure if I will get them installed this year, as I still have to order the 2" oem shafts. Plus new wheels. Oy.

The LTB's and my old wheels will eventually go up for sale.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
As designed until I see how they perform. I'm not sure if I will get them installed this year, as I still have to order the 2" oem shafts. Plus new wheels. Oy.

The LTB's and my old wheels will eventually go up for sale.

Didn't think about the new wheels. MRAP pattern isn't the same, is it? They seem to be the cheapest 20" option.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Didn't think about the new wheels. MRAP pattern isn't the same, is it? They seem to be the cheapest 20" option.

MRAP is a different pattern, so you would have to run am adaptor. I haven't looked too much yet, but I will likely just run a set of stazworks double beadlocks.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
MRAP is a different pattern, so you would have to run am adaptor. I haven't looked too much yet, but I will likely just run a set of stazworks double beadlocks.

Just get Andrew to throw together a set of rims like he did to move his jeep :flipoff:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I sent my trailer over to Mike Lorint.

Out with the old.

In with the new 7k axles.

Still a few mods to do. Some clearancing over the tires and new spare tire mounts (I got two spares).
All parts sourced from Cerka. They were the cheapest, even with shipping. http://www.cerka.ca/

If anyone is interested in my old 5k axles (two with brakes, one without), let me know! I have ~8 wheels and tires, most of them in not so good condition.

Last edited: