PROJECT: Big Country XJ

M

moto

One day me and a buddy of mine were walking through a parking lot and saw a really nice XJ. It just so happened that we were both looking for 2nd cars at the time. This perticular XJ wasn't what you would call exceptional. It had a modest lift and maybe 31s. There was just something about it. The next day when we met up, all we could both talk about was that XJ. Turns out we had both gone on the NET and spent a few hours looking up various bits about Jeep Cherokees.

And so a pact between...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Ahhhh, luxury 4 wheeling, AC & leather, nice! Keep the A/C, you'll have lots of friends on the trails that way. :) Looks good, if you need hints & advice, ping Root Moose, if there's anyone that knows *everything* about building a stockish XJ (ie: not hacking the shit out of it), it'll be him. :)

R

Root Moose

Lol, too funny, Terry.

Still some tuning to do but this is what 5" of lift and ~33" tires can look like. I expect the OP's Jeep will look similar when done (with respect to height).

http://fxide.ca/XJ_at_mine_2.jpg

http://fxide.ca/XJ_at_mine.jpg

Nobody directly notices my Jeep as modified - there's just something different about it that people pick up on. I had a middle-aged lady come up to me in a parking lot a few weeks ago and start talking about how she used to have an old boxy Cherokee, liked it better than what they have now, blah, blah, blah. Rose tinted glasses and all that but the point is that she didn't notice that it is overbuilt. Perfect.

Building a sleeper that can be used every day is where it's at.

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

Are you sure you want BW flares? I've been eyeing the Iceland Off-Road flares.

M

moto

Root Moose,

I took a look at those Iceland flares. They are pretty nice lookin' but I've had my eye on the BWs for awhile now and cant see anything else on my heep.

Thanks for the pic links. Gives me a good idea of what mine will look like.

Oh.. and nice Jeep BTW.

M

moto

A bit of progress today.

I got the last shackle bolt is out so the back side is ready for new stuff. I picking up the Ford 8.8 tomorrow. M.O.R.E. mounting kit on the way. Rear leafs and shocks on standby in the garage.

Finished trimming the cargo floor and sprayed it down with rust paint. Decided to PRC and rivet the new sheet down. Should be easier then welding and still yield the same in the end. Still have a bunch of cutting to do in the front. Inside and out will be done in bedliner when its completely repaired.

HaHa.. I tried to take pictures.. my phone told me "It is to cold to use the flash". No my garage isnt heated... and its damn cold!!

More to come soon!

Impact

Looks like you have some solid!

What kind of lift are you going with?

Good luck with the rust :)

M

moto

More progress today and a bunch of pictures. Had to take my DSLR out as my phone camera still wouldn't work because of the cold temperature!

Took a shot so you could see the area I'm working in. It's kinda tight, the lighting is bad and there is no heat but... it's a garage so I can't complain too much!

This one is just the heep on stands.. rear end is completely out.. the front end is in the process of reassembly.

The front is just mock fitted for now. I have a stripped hole that the spring tab bolt goes in so I need to drop the right side anyways to drill and tap it. The new steering kit is just kinda sitting in there but it'll be pulled before the drop pitman arm, adjustable trackbar and new stabilizer goes in.

This is the Ford 8.8 thats goin in. Its a but nasty on the outside but by the time im done she'll look newish. Got a fair deal on it and they even tossed in a spare set of calipers and the flange adapter!

The cargo area cutting is pretty well done. I imagine a but more trimming as the new sheet metal goes in. I shot it with rust paint to keep it healthy.

Driver and passenger floor pans are cut and sprayed.

Well that's it until next weekend!

M

moto

Well the build has resumed. I took leave the next two weeks in hopes that I can get it on the road. The goal for today was to get it off the front stands and onto the new 33/12.5/15 Toyo Open Country M/Ts. Mission accomplished. Lets jump right into it!

Nothing special here. Just a steering box brace.

A couple of pictures of fender trimming for the Bushwacker Flat Flares. Still need to do a bit of clean up on these and also cut and pound the pinch seam. Oh yeah... also found this new little patch of rust! Yippie!

We had to make a whole new drivers side brake line. I have to give my buddy full credit for this. He did a great job. New stainless steel lines off the hard line.

A bit of work on the Ford 8.8. The brackets are cut off. Now I need to clean, paint and prep for welding the new brackets.

The new steering and trackbar setup.

Yes.. its that dusty from all the cutting and grinding.

So tomorrow is pretty much dedicated to getting the 8.8 ready. Wednesday the axle should be fitted under the rig and tacked in. We are bringing it to a pro to get the brackets welded on properly. I hope to see it back early the following week. While the axle is getting welded we will switch focus to body work!! Yaaaay!

Attachments

• P1010137.jpg
    P1010137.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010154.jpg
    P1010154.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010144.jpg
    P1010144.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010147.jpg
    P1010147.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010152.jpg
    P1010152.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
M

moto

So today was all about the 8.8 axle. What a bitch! After pounding off all the rust I could.. it was time for the grinder and wire wheel. I didnt bother to do anything with the cover because for one, it has a hole in it, and two, I have a new Solid diff cover for it. I have new brake components but I left the rusty old bits on in case it fell off the stands and for the transport to the welder that is doing my spring perches and shock mounts.

So tomorrow we will take measurements from the old turdy for the spring perches and shock mounts then remove the paint from the approximate locations. Seems like doing the job twice but I didnt want the axle sitting exposed and all the heavy work is done. Next we will cut and tap the t-case output shaft and install the new yoke. From there the axle will go under the Jeep to set the correct driveshaft angle and then tack it in along with the shock mounts. Hopefully we can transport it to the welder right after we are done. If the day permits, we may start on some interior bodywork since we cant do much else until the axle comes back. Mind you.. there is never a problem finding little jobs to keep busy!!

Update to come tomorrow!

J

j-p618

come on slacker get this thing done i ve been waiting since december....lol

M

moto

Ok well the last two days have been like trying to run in sand but we managed to get a few things done.

The axle brackets have been welded up and painted. Plans are to remove the rusty flange adapters and clean them and paint them. I have two sets of calipers that were given to me by the junkyard so hopefully I can get a working pair out of them. New pads and rotors are set to be installed. We need to fabricate the solid brake line and link it into the new stainless lines that will come off the calipers.

The hack and tap yoke went on well enough. It was kinda dodgy being under the jeep while it was running and sitting on two rear stands but the t-case cut came out perfectly square. Drilling and taping the shaft was a pain in the ass but its done. The axle is a rebuilt front out of a cherokee and during the mock up of the rear axle, it looked like it would do the job as far as travel and whatnot go.

So that shuts us down until Monday. With any luck, the axle will be under the truck, new brakes on and shocks bolted up. My buddy will be doing that while I trim the rear wells for the Bushwacker flares and sort out a ton of other little things. We will need the rest of next week to finish the floors and other sundry jobs that seem to be piling up.

Happy Easter!

Impact

What steering kit did you go with?

Any plans for locking the front or rear?

Keep the pic's coming :)

M

moto

Steering kit is Rusty's. I plan to get lockers in the future.

M

moto

I didnt plan on working today but I passed on something else to get back into the garage. Time is ticking down on my leave and there is lots to do.

Today I cut out the rear fenders for the Bushwacker flares. I still have some cleaning up to do on the cuts, but it looks good.

I also separated the flanges off the rear axle to clean up the rust and prime and paint. I got one completely finished and the other is off and ready for cleaning and painting. While I was at it I removed the bake shields because they were completely toast.

Monday will be the next build day. I hope to get the axle finished and under the Jeep, the rear driveshaft bolted in and start working on the floors. Monday could be the first time the Jeep has been on its own 4 wheels in over 6 months!!

No pictures of todays work but there will be lots on Monday, Im sure.