Project - Bluebird Bus RV Conversion

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
nice, should look sharp! picked a name for it yet?

Not yet, I imagine the first night of drunkenness in it at RC and it will get named, whether I like it or not :beer:

Got 8' of the floor ripped out to the metal today.

It was rubber, then plywood, then more rubber before I got to the metal.

Water was apparently coming in the hole in the floor for the fuel filler neck and creating mold in the back, but good news is there is no rust. The floor looks like it is galvanized or something. :)

So, what do you think would be the best way to lay the new floor? I'm thinking of sealing all the bolt/screw holes with automotive seam sealer, then a coat of TremClad, then plywood, then laminate underlay (the thick stuff you use over concrete in the basement - It has a built in vapor barrier), then laminate flooring.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Sounds good, they have laminate tile now, I would go with that as anything soft on on a motorhome floor takes a beating and I think even laminate "hardwood" might get scratched up. Besides when you get the motorhome up or down to whatever temperature you want the tile holds it better. I really like the marble in the new RV as it is nice and cool on the feet on a hot day.

http://www.busnut.com/conv101.html

The busnut site is very good. they are mostly focused on coach conversions but there is lots that crosses over.
Hmmm just checked the link I guess not all of it is available all the time, well there are lots of ideas on that site looking at other buses.

Last edited:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
So, After two weeks of not working on the bus due to a bad back.... From working on the bus..... I went back at it again this weekend and the floor is all ripped up now.

Next will be to wash it, paint it and seal all the holes in preparation for the new floor.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Cleaned up the Rust/Old Silicone with a grinder and wire wheel. Painted the rust with a rust converter and a fresh coat of white tremclad.

Ready to seal all the bolt holes from the seats next! Almost done the boring stuff :beer:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Geebus! That angle makes it look like a bowling alley.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Guys :beer:

I want this thing to last a while so doing the little extra to the floor now should pay off in the long run.

O.D.

Club Member
"Easy GripStrip™ installation – Lays directly over your old floor; no floor prep or messy glue needed! Looks and feels like real wood… feel the knots! Water-resistant. Perfect in high moisture areas… basements, kitchens, and bathrooms. Warm comfort and quiet under foot. Install an entire floor cleanly, easily in just a few hours. 25 year residential warranty."

Awesome :beer:

Badweld

Just curious if the Allison (545 ithink) is much bigger than the 47re. May be a better option for the shitty 47re in my 96 dodge. Thoughts?

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Specs:

Net input power 235 hp (175 kW)
Net input torque 445 lb-ft (603 N·m)
Vehicle weight Up to 30,000 lbs (13,608 kg) GVW

But the MT643 would be better, it has lock up in 3rd and 4th and the following rating:

Net input power 250 hp (186 kW)
Net input torque 640 lb-ft (868 N·m)
Vehicle weight Up to 42,000 lbs (19,051 kg) GVW or GCW

I might swap to that one in the future to get better MPG and handle more TQ so I can turn up the Cummins more ;)