Project - Grumpy's Toy II

D

Dirk

Boatsides look pimp. :smokin:
Glad you got'r'done in time, enjpy your weekend, nothing like a shakedown run 8 hours from home.

G

Grumpy

Thanks guys, the boatsides were awesome down south, the truck spanked Otter's Trail for the first time....however, the 'Notch' had other plans for my truck......only two straight panels left, the hood and the DS front fender...pics and video to come....will continue on this build and fill in the blanks soon, stay tuned.

G

Grumpy

So I guess it's time to fire this thread back up.....just ordered all the steering parts I need to FINALLY complete my PS and Hi-steer set-up.....what a difference this is gonna make....can't wait....ordered up my shocks too with correct compressed and extended dimensions so no more "built in suspension limiting factor" due to incorrect shocks...or rather shocks that were fine before I completed the front YJ conversion.....next on the list is to pick up my tubing to build the cage and redo the rear of the truck......got some measuring to do first.....I won't have time or the parts to start on this till March but will be doing all the necessary prep work I can before that......

I'll post up some pics from my return from RC last spring to liven up the thread and you folks can examine just how badly I fucked up the new body in one weekend.....it's all good though, this has been a process of wheeling and modifying to suit my needs....definitely helps to know what body panels get in the way/must be removed/modified to create a better rig.....

Since there's little chance of this truck being on the road I'm concentrating on the trail aspect.....a little change of plot from a year ago when I specifically did the body swap to be able to plate it for road use.....and then build the buggy for extreme stuff......what I've learned is I love to wheel the shit outta the one I have built so far so I'm gonna stick with it and get rid of the buggy....any takers?? I'll sell it cheap....good starting point for a buggy, send me a PM if interested.....

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Holy Shit Batman, I got to get me some Lottery tickets. I never thought I'd see the day come where you are acutally selling a vehicle :eek: :eek:

If you sell the buggy, I get half since I gave it to you ;)

G

Grumpy

Yes, it's true time to thin the herd and start to focus on a couple of projects like finishing the Zuk and my '65.....

G

Grumpy

Okay folks, so down to 12 days before we leave for RC and I finally started turning wrenchs on the Zuk today. Made some good progress, a few things holding me up at the moment, (Can't lossen center bolt on crank pulley and missing engine bracket to bolt on PS pump) but got my high steer on and the frame bracket and steering box mounted. Cut off the old shock brackets on the front frame and will have to wait till the truck is mobile again to flex it out in the ditch to locate where the new shock mounts will be. Got some pics of today's progress and will load them up when I have some time. Probably gonna finish off the day by cutting off the rear body in preparations for some tube....

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
You're not going to cut up that purdy body you spent so much time last year swaping on are you??? :lmao::lmao:

G

Grumpy

Yeah, well that purdy body wasn't so purdy to begin with.......the rear was more rotten than the original......and yes it was cut off last night. So with a bit of tube, some bending, cutting and fitting and welding I'll have a stronger tail end to lean up against rocks when I need to. Plus I'll have better roll protection, a place to attach the harness and HiLift to and hopefully be able to close off all the spots that mud gets into at the rear of the truck! (new rear floor and inner fenders on their way...) Pics soon, just recharged the battery!

G

Grumpy

Good grief.....is that how I left off last year??? Got some updating to do including the most current carnage report from fall RC and it's a doozy...well at least for me......I don't tear things up like most other folks which is a surprise based on how I thrash that little truck.....Pics and updates to come...

G

Grumpy

Nope, did that a week ago....picked up my paint prep stuff today and will be heading out to the garage tonite to start sanding body panels......

G

Grumpy

Okay, so here's the carnage from the fall RC trip.....good thing this was my *spare* third member...lol

Attachments

• P4090008..jpg
    P4090008..jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 18
  • P4090005..jpg
    P4090005..jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P4090007..jpg
    P4090007..jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P4090001..jpg
    P4090001..jpg
    84 KB · Views: 19
  • P4090004..jpg
    P4090004..jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 13
G

Grumpy

Here's the front fender damage, PS compliments of spring RC in *The Notch* and DS from god knows where at fall RC (I'm sure my brother remembers where). So after the upcoming spring trip to RC off come the front fenders so I can tube it, for now a quick sanding and a shot of paint.....

Attachments

• P4130016..JPG
    P4130016..JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 15
  • P4130017..JPG
    P4130017..JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 14
  • P4130013..JPG
    P4130013..JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 10
G

Grumpy

My little project from the weekend, DS upper shock mount relocation.....just needed to gain about an inch or so upper clearance, ended up with 1 3/4" and flipped the shocks from L to R to hide the tire rub marks :mad:

Attachments

• P4090190..JPG
    P4090190..JPG
    79 KB · Views: 9
  • P4090191..JPG
    P4090191..JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P4130011..JPG
    P4130011..JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P4090009..jpg
    P4090009..jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 10
G

Grumpy

this is how the truck looked last fall after a couple of runs, North Augusta, a trip to Vermont to visit James and play in the backwoods, and spring and fall RC, so the new fresh metal was rusting quite nicely and it's soon time to loose the rust and shoot some paint on there, I swear it's not heading south again till the paint is on.....even if I have to get my brother to drive the Yukon while I'm on the trailer painting the Zuk.....

Attachments

• S 064..jpg
    S 064..jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
G

Grumpy

As soon as I get a chance I'll post up pics from the rear body build.....