Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
If you go the money Odyssey, but they are hella expensive.
I have had luck with Northstar or the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra one (especially when they are on sale). Do not buy Optima, mine lasted like 8 years but I got it just before they moved to Mexico. Since then their quality has been hit and miss

junkpile

You know, I’ve heard lotsa griping about Optimas, yet I’ve had nothing but good luck with Optima. Still not cheap though.
Worth it weight in gold is one of Canadian Tire’s smart chargers, cost ya about $100 but surprising what they’ll bring back from the dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks guys, kirkland conventional. I have a motomaster 10A/2A and tried to quick charge and trickle charge. Couldn't get it past 11.8 or so. I may try it on the trickle charger a bit longer.

I'll have a look at an oddessy - thanks guys. I have heard the same about the Optima widely from car racers and off roaders. I think I will stay away from them since the production moved.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Last spring I really killed my Odyssey, it was low enough my smart charger refused to do anything. I had to use a dumb charger to bring it up enough for my smart charger to take over and after a long time it recovered. I used it all summer including some winching and haven't had a problem. It may not be 100% but it's good enough I don't need to go spend another $300+ yet.

junkpile

Yeah cool eh! Those smart chargers work wonders, real game changer. I’ve had luck piggy backing a know good battery to a dead one just to get it started. The smart charger needs to see a minimum voltage before it’ll agree to play. That old school 10a/2a charger wont yield the same effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Function > Form

Club Member
Ya it says 'Automatic Charger' on the front which I assume is different and it is indeed a dumb charger. I will still try to trickle charge it to see if it revives.

Function > Form

Club Member
Haven't picked up a new charger yet. But, in order to move her into the garage for the winter, I boosted it with the JGC, and it had enough juice to spin the starter... -ish. The damn solenoid is out! One more for the list...

I ended up pushing it in with the JGC with a tire in between - I'll pull the starter another day once I have finished reworking the garage set up.