Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

Function > Form

Club Member
Finally fixed a clunk plus a whump-whump-whump sound that I've been trying to nail down for a while. First I thought it was the sway bar link which was indeed part of the problem. The metal sleeve was a little crusty and busted open a bit - will post a pic later. Got a new sway link and the clunk is gone. Woo hoo!

But the whumping was still there on hard-ish acceleration. I thought it was the passenger cv/intermediate shaft that was worn at the splines causing some looseness. They checked out, but I swapped in a good replacement anyhow and kept the axle and int.shaft as spares.

Pulled the drivers cv............and the oil seal was DONE like dinner. Like oval. Popped a new one in, slotted the axle back in and she's golden. I guess this means I can come out to play now?

couple recent shots :)

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks! lol yeah man, it was a hot day that one. Love those steps, good for holding tools too.

This is Redhorse, just off Arcol road. You could take a dang camry to this lake. Heck, I've seen minivans and even a Chrysler Concord up at Govan Lake before too. That would be a long bumpy ride in a car.

As promised, the crusty link...

IMAG4288[1].jpg
IMAG4289[1].jpg

And the new one - oooooh purdy
IMAG4290[1].jpg

The Dynomax muffler setup to put in when I make the time. Still not sure if I should just clamp it or weld it. I only have fluxcore, so I was thinking the welds would be weak...what say you OVO?
IMAG4291[1].jpg

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
The Dynomax muffler setup to put in when I make the time. Still not sure if I should just clamp it or weld it. I only have fluxcore, so I was thinking the welds would be weak...what say you OVO?
[MENTION=2]aweber[/MENTION] - his entire buggy was built with a 140 flux welder, so I'm sure it will be more than enough for the exhaust :)

Function > Form

Club Member
[MENTION=2]aweber[/MENTION] - his entire buggy was built with a 140 flux welder, so I'm sure it will be more than enough for the exhaust :)

Thanks man, I was concerned about winter slop making the welds rust quickly. I imagine [MENTION=2]aweber[/MENTION] doesn't drive his buggy on the road/in the winter... ;) Pretty cool it was all done with flux.

[regardless, it's still going to be better than the stock setup that has been on for 213k!]

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Not even 140, 110 Amp ;) Justin builds exhaust by brazing with coat hangers ;) You will be fine!

Function > Form

Club Member
lol hangers?! Obviously I need to step up my game.

edit:

Ok so I did a little internet edumahcayshun - sounds like hangers are certainly widely used (mostly about 50 yrs ago lol), but most people -if they braze- use brazing rods now.

Well that settles it. Weld the exhaust I will.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Just a little light wheeling yesterday - I was starting to lose my sh!t not being able to get off road.

IMAG4329.jpg
IMAG4361[1].jpg
IMAG4335[1].jpg

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Go stand over by Andrew's CJ if you need to feel better about yourself. :lmao::lmao:

Last hijack - only half helps - while I'm technically still "faster", I'd say he has overall higher quality of work :(

On topic - still liking the ATM's? The Dodge will need new shoes next year.

Function > Form

Club Member
Last hijack - only half helps - while I'm technically still "faster", I'd say he has overall higher quality of work :(

no worries, keeps me informed of everyone's insecurities :)

On topic - still liking the ATM's? The Dodge will need new shoes next year.

Yeah they are pretty good (great price). Obviously I don't do a whole lot of crazy wheeling in mud, so I can't speak to how they would do there. They do hold ~1/2" pieces of gravel sometimes, so that would be the only 'complaint'. Even as an E-load tire, I think they are ok in the libby, but better when we are fully loaded for a trip with tools etc. Good grip on smooth rock, even in the rain. Maybe you saw already but I ran these at Crag - they did well there (it was dry tho).

They wear really well and evenly too - the tread still looks great and already have lots of kms on them. I have 5 and cycle in the spare as well though. Very quiet on the road.

Function > Form

Club Member
Weirdest thing ever while on our light wheeling adventure the other day, we lost a brake pad clip. Y'know, the ones that fit in the caliper to allow the tabs of the brake pad to slide on? Yeah, it fell out somewhere along the way. As you'd expect it started clacking around on every single friggin bump...I honestly thought it was either the sway link again, or the winch hook.

Of course I didn't happen to bring one along, and once I found out what it was, I just ignored it. Fixed it yesterday in about 5 minutes.

Function > Form

Club Member
Still getting annoying brake pad clicks. It's no biggie, but now I wonder if the tabs got worn down a little in the mud with all the rattling around. It totally goes away with a little brake grease on the tabs.

Replaced the exhaust yesterday, that stocker is a BEAST. Threw in the Dynomax with a little extra piping. I clamped the part near the cat and welded the rest. It's ugly (flux) but it works and I think I gained about 1.5" breakover height. I just used mild steel .030 instead of buying a roll of 309. Should be ok for as long as I have this heep and if it rusts super fast, I'll just bust out the welder again.

To be completely honest..... the idle and just off idle tone sounds mean, deep, nice. When you get on it though....yuck. It sounds like a friggin Grand Prix... and that's not a compliment. All in all, I guess it fit the bill sorta - smaller (better clearance), stainless again, cheap. It just doesn't sound great on the go pedal.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Also

Picked up some metal from metal supermarket

1/8" 2" square tube for a bumper swingaway, and some 4" C-channel for the bumper itself
and
some 3/16 plate for the front skid (rad protector) and transmission skid - just will do a final trim and drill some holes. I'll make a gas tank skid at some point also.

Function > Form

Club Member
Also got a sheet of 20ga SS for a drop down table off the rear gate. Planning to fold down the sides and tack the corners for stiffness.

Function > Form

Club Member
stocker (sounded like an old dude passing gas)

installed

better clearance...I think...?

I still don't totally love the sound with the skinny pedal mashed, but it will probably grow on me. Here is a short video of the start-up and idle:

Function > Form

Club Member
OK, so I now like(-ish) the muffler. Just took a few hail Mary runs in the backwoods in 4lo where it sounds like a desert rally truck lolol!!!

One thing is for sure, the power that I lost after the 32's is now back due to the muffler. My transmission used to be all over the place on the highway, now I can cruise easily usually without any downshifting to maintain speed.

Went for a nice little rip around Lavant Long Lake and found a great campsite. Didn't see a single person while we were out!

IMAG4801[1].jpg
IMAG4846[1].jpg
IMAG4857[1].jpg
IMAG4863[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMAG4869[1].jpg
    IMAG4869[1].jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 21