Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

Function > Form

Club Member
There seems to be gear oil (based on smell) leaking out onto one of the backing plates of the rear brakes. Thinking it is likely the axle bearing. There is no noise at the moment, but I'll be checking the level tonight when I get a chance.

Any advice? Don't drive it? Fine for a bit if I continue to check fluid? Obviously I'll keep it out of the water/mud for now. #noobquestions

junkpile

That'd be a leaking axle seal, possibly worn out but also possibly caused by a bearing on its way out. Could also be your breather tube is blocked causing pressure to be forced out the path of least resistance...
If it gets bad enough it'll cover your rotor/drum and ruin your pads/shoes reducing your braking ability.

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks man, I'll have a look at the breather tube first. We did some very minor water crossings recently, could have some junk in the tube.

I think the bearing and seal are a single piece in the 8.25"...iirc

junkpile

Nope, but easy enough job, c-clip style axles.
I don't think I've ever heard of any bearing with an integral seal??

Function > Form

Club Member
I blame the interwebz for my misinformation! lol OK more seriously, my bad. I was actually reading too fast and didn't remember it correctly. It's the axle that functions as the 'race' which is what I was remembering.

Yeah, brake assembly off, rotate axle to access the centre pin and take it out, push in, c-clip off, slide axle out, don't rotate the axle/assembly or the spider gears will fall out...? Any other tips? :D

Function > Form

Club Member
Replaced the rear axle seal and bearing because it was leaking all over the backing plate. I checked the diff breather tube, but it was clear. FWIW, XJ axle shafts are ~3/4" SHORTER than the KJ (studs are a bit shorter also). Now you know. Anyone need stock XJ shafts??

Slide hammers are cool. The inside of the diff is cool. Working on the jeep is cool.

Minion

I had the axle's out of the Ranger before the July camping trip and it was pretty cool. First time doing that, I'm sure after a few more years of wheeling pulling axle shafts will lose some novelty. LOL

Function > Form

Club Member
Yeah I thought of that while I was working on it - I was remembering you did that before the expedition. Sadly I couldn't make it.

Mostly, I was surprised how easy it was and it really drove home how much simpler a solid axle is than independent.

Function > Form

Club Member
IMAG4962[1].jpg

Cleaned out the last of the diff sludge off the inside of the wheel/backing plate and wheel well. That stuff is friggin nasty. I still get little whiffs of it through the vents. fml - "mechanic's cologne"

I also re-coated the steps in prep for winter and did a little garage floor patching.

Found some old solid wood desk drawers with dovetailed corners - I will be refinishing and modding the old deep desk drawer (file depth, but made before hanging file folders existed) to fit in the back to hold recovery gear and an emergency bug out kit (stove, fuel, blankets, food, water filter etc).

I have a few others - lmk if you are interested. Full disclosure: these are curb-side beauties with a lot of 'character'. :D

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
oh ya - whomever it was (I deleted your pm) that suggested the RTV on the brake pads that clicked incessantly - that did the trick, thanks a ton.

Function > Form

Club Member
Finally made the front skid - bit of a hackjob for now, but it'll do the trick.

Going to trim the edges later so it's a bit more like this:
_____
\____/

IMAG5065[1].jpg
IMAG5067[1].jpg
IMAG5072[1].jpg

Function > Form

Club Member
The skid is holding up well. Will need to paint it before (and during and after) winter.

Took my folks (71 and 75) up to Darling Hydroline. They loved off-roading...they were overlanders before overlanding was a thing. Once upon a time when I lived at home (in the 80s), they drove a beastly E250 with a 460ci and a home built interior with sink, curtains, fold-out bed etc. So, that said, they enjoyed it. I took them up and over a few fun spots. My dad took some pics with his DSLR of me descending onto this area that I'll upload later. If you've been there, you probably recognize this spot.

IMAG5164[1].jpg