Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

Function > Form

Club Member
Bad news: uggggghhhh....diagnosing a wiring problem...it started with just the lefthand running tail light out at night (brake lights still work when brake pedal pressed). I will have to buy myself a new circuit tester...mine is pooched..

BUT the good news: WE BOUGHT SOME LANDDDDDDD (near Griffith)

We also picked up a vintage tent trailer last weekend (I totally and seriously LOVE the smell of old canvas) and I found out after the purchase that our 4-pin isn't powering up the trailer lights. I suspect a fuse issue or bad ground since it works with the PO's vehicle. Got it for $500, metal frame is solid, plywood floor is in pretty good shape, a-frame, wiring and swivel jack are new, plus it has a 'cage' for a 20lb propane tank. This is not a fancy piece of hardware though. Very basic accommodations. perfect...

Here are a couple shots after bringing her home (I used to talk about my kids this way...)

Open, it's like this Heilite trailer, more or less. It has the tent material going sideways rather than front-back in newer tent trailers. The one in this link is in pristine shape like 9/10, ours is about a 7/10. But I will very likely be modding and updating it. Just one more project lol
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292140

Minion

I apparently just ran into the exact same electrical gremlin on the Ranger last night. Wonder which of us will actually get it fixed first. lol.

Function > Form

Club Member
bah I'll work on it this weekend - picking up some extra lights from a member in case it is related to the ground contacts within the lights that are a common problem.

good luck on yours buddy!

Function > Form

Club Member
Skipped the extra lights and just checked out the fuses last Thursday...aaaaaand blew a 10A mini-fuse...not sure how that happened. Will have to trace it, but for now the tails and trailer lighting are back in bidness. BEAT YA [MENTION=2643]Minion[/MENTION] lol

Over the weekend I purchased a Viair 88P for OBA, plus a gauge (also Viair) from Amazon. I'll be installing a small tank -thinking of a 5 gallon- to run air tools and of course for airing up tires.

Can't remember if I posted this before, but I also found a half-decent 500W inverter (it's a Stanley plus it's modified sine wave) combo for the jeep as a 110V power unit and to hook up to solar also. The solar will be mobile for now, likely set up on the top of the trailer for travelling, but with a quick release of some sort to set up a camping base. After the cabin is built (mayyyyybe by next winter), it will be set up more permanently. Will only be running a 100W system on a single deep cycle.

Minion

You did beat me, even considering that I originally meant to work on them last night, I finally installed a radio instead. But my first step now is gonna be to check those fuses. Which probably always should have been my first step.

junkpile

Congrats on the land acquisition! Great area too. If I may be so bold as to ask what sorta land did you buy? What sorta cabin are you planning?

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks [MENTION=641]junkpile[/MENTION] no worries. :D

It's 3.2 acres, *not* waterfront (but there is an easily accessible/fishable lake nearby), mostly hardwood, a couple open flat spots, on a seasonally maintained road....and 5 minute drive to more crown land than I could explore in a lifetime...plans are to build a basic bunkie-style cabin with stove, solar, basic water (rain barrels + pump + grey water recycling etc).

Function > Form

Club Member
I don't have pics of most of the property as we were too busy dreaming and freaking out about it to think about taking more pics.

The main flat/open spot which is beside a small ravine. An old 2 ft high rock wall runs part way through here.

Everything you can see on the right side is our land.

Looking up from the ravine to the flat spot - puppers is presiding over the ceremonies.

~10 mins away on crown roads... I'm in love

Function > Form

Club Member
Lookin janky with the skid - I kinda like it. These were taken up at our new (as of last week) property....there was about 5-6" of snow up there already. Had been there a while!

Here is a pic of the viair. Tested it out on the tires to add about 10psi this weekend - pretty quick....only took about 30 seconds on each. Impressive.

Last edited:

trixter192

Club Member
I don't have pics of most of the property as we were too busy dreaming and freaking out about it to think about taking more pics.

The main flat/open spot which is beside a small ravine. An old 2 ft high rock wall runs part way through here.

Everything you can see on the right side is our land.

Looking up from the ravine to the flat spot - puppers is presiding over the ceremonies.

~10 mins away on crown roads... I'm in love

Will you invite OVO to a private event? We can cut our own trails

Minion

I say we don't cut trails, we just clear some camping sites and wheel on all that crown land.

Function > Form

Club Member
Got some cool gear this weekend...Hario coffee grinder for the cabin/road trips and a .22 springer (Crossman Benjamin Classic break barrel)! I'm already shooting pretty tight groupings (at 10 metres...inside), the scope still needs a little tweaking. It was a good day.

Fun drive this morning. I pulled someone out of their driveway with a strap lol. It was a mazda 3, and it was also only in ~4" of snow but was it in a low spot ...they were going to pull it with some weak-looking rope and a new 4Runner. I stopped and asked if they needed a hand...they said they didn't have proper gear and asked if I did. I said "I *might* have a couple things"...when I opened up the back of the jeep they just said "WHOA". Suffice to say, the guy with the 4R is going to 'buy a few things'.

Only took a quick couple yanks and they were out. Made some new neighbour friends in the process.

Function > Form

Club Member
Replaced the STUPID 2-piece FCA lug nuts and a few mismatched ones ...I had 18, 19 AND 21 mm nuts. The 18s were the ones where the outside cap came off. What genius designed these?!?

I bought some one-piece chrome acorn lugs of amazon (White Knight 1704S-20AM 1/2-Inch), jeez they made it look newer somehow lol. Jank level reduced to about 4 from an 8.

Starting my spring to-do list...it's not too bad but I haven't done any work on it to speak of over the winter.
fix the dang evap leak/solenoid
fluid flush
one sway link
psgr front axle seal
TC lever tweak (notchy, bit loose)
trailer wiring....ugh
cut some skids
a bit of rust to cut and patch here and there
rear bumper??? low priority

IMAG0492[1].jpg
IMAG0527[1].jpg