Build Project - SS Cherokee

R

Root Moose

Those look a lot like the Subaru DL front calipers (Yes, Subaru used to put the parking brake on the front axle). The piston assembly gives it away as DL calipers I think. Also the minor differences in the e-brake assembly parts compared to current Japanese stuff. Think mid 1980s till... something like 1992 or so. If I end up being wrong let me know so I can learn about a new caliper. :)

I had a set I tried to mock up on my axle but the emergency brake assembly didn't clear the leaf packs. Have you test fit the axle at this point? I'm only running ~4-5" of lift so it may not be an issue for you.

They are a good size caliper and they have the more or less standard Tokico e-brake mechanism. Run 'em unless you find a valid reason not to.

There are only so many 5 on 5.5" rotor assemblies out there. I'd guess that one has to be either a SJ Suzuki (front) or a SWB Sidekick/Tracker (front) rotor. They definitely are not Scout, CJ or Ford (vented). Might be early Willys/Kaiser CJ5 but doubt it.

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Your right about them being Sub DL front calipers - not only was I really confused when I was trying to ID them but I stumped the dudes at the parts store. I've taken all the measurments and thay are going to clear the leaves and with the extra width of the 9inch it's gunna work. I figure i'll run an adjustable prop valve so i can fine tune them once it's all set up.
Marek

Impact

Looking Good!
What ever happened to that D60 front???
Are you going to pick up new tires and rims?
Can't wait to see it out!

D

Dirk

Axle looks good, nice and clean. And the orange is a nice touch. :)
Good to see you're making progress.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thanx Dirk, they're getting there:cool:. With the 60 I figured I would loose too much ground clearance with only 35's - new wheels for sure as beadlocks are in my future - tires are still good but when these are ready to be replaced I just may step up to 37's. :D

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I still have the 60 but it's a (drum roll)... low pinion :rainbow:, a major contibutor to my decision not to build it!

D

Dirk

yeah, Chevy 60....as with most things, you are better off with Ford parts. :flipoff:

D

Dirk

I guess Dodge axles aren't worth much either...

but at least Marek is upgrading from that 30 and won't need this anymore

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Well I ordered the ARB for the front today :cool:, I can now cross that off the list! I've been checking out TMR for my joints, I may order those tomorrow.

Impact

Well I ordered the ARB for the front today :cool:, I can now cross that off the list! I've been checking out TMR for my joints, I may order those tomorrow.

Right now Northridge4x4.ca has a deal on ARB's... Can't remember what the deal is if you buy one, but if you buy 2 then you get the free compressor and the inflation kit... Free shipping too :) Not sure how that compares on cost to the one you ordered.
Are you building the axles in your garage? I would love to pop by one day...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I ordered through National (Dan in Smith Falls), they have a special deal on the go right now that if you buy 1 ARB you get the regular compressor free and if you buy 2 ARB's you get the upgraded one for free as well as a special deal on install. As I already have the upgraded compressor I figure it'll be good for the dodge for when i go to airbags in the rear.
I'm building them in my basement (to the dismay of my wife) and haul them to a buddies for any of the welding (that's all done for now).

Come by anytime, I'm in BC at the moment but i'll be home soon and i'll have some time off come mid march so weather permiting i'll likely be out in the driveway getting ready for Rausch!

Impact

I'm glad you found a good deal!

The wife is rolling back form OP "P" at the end of March.

BC Play or pleasure?

Near the Calcheek area?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Na, work - I've had a chance to get downtown a few times though - this whole city is a huge party right now! It's pretty incredible the entire downtown core is just nonstop partytime, and the weather's been great too.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Well I just got ack from BC (glad to be home) and had a package waiting for me! I'll be "building" my upper arms later this week. No more destroyed rubber bushings!!!!!