Build Project - SS Cherokee

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Took some time yesterday to freshen up the TH400 alittle. My plan by November is to have a complete rebuild kit from monster including the TC, and manual reverse pattern valve body and all the necessary accessories. At the same time I need to get all the necessary parts from Advanced Adapters to mate the ATLAS to it, I've been thinking/researching what stall to go with on the torque converter, what do you guys think?

GOPR0609 (800x600).jpgGOPR0610 (800x600).jpg

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I've been thinking/researching what stall to go with on the torque converter, what do you guys think?

I run ~1800 stall and like it - I would like a little higher though, I would recommend ~2200 stall.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Typically convertors are matched to the cam - might be worthwhile talking to the engine builder? I know the LS crowd is pretty happy with 2K and up.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
For sure, we had talked about that last fall when the motor was torn down - this fall it's getting put together - we'll definitely be matching the cam to the converter.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Who's doing the build? Any details you're willing to share? I've heard rumors of a 400 SBC based mill, curious as to why when everyone else seems to be going LS. I had been debating between stroking the 350, or picking up a 5.3/6.0, and $$$ to get fuel injection on an old school SBC seemed a bit much for what you get (TBI).

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
A local guy is doing the build, i'll post full details on the motor soon but basically its a 406 SBC (6.6L) that will for all intents and purposes be a brand new motor - this was a buddies project that I took over and I liked the fact its a total rebuild with some killer parts and the simplicity of it all, and with a projected 450HP and over 500 ft/lbs torque I have a hotrod motor! I did toss around the idea for a long time of just finding a 6.0L but I kept coming back to this one. Yes, the fuel injection on this is $$$, that part sucks.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
He should be receiving the new output shaft for his transmission this week, then he'll get it put back together. The thing is a beast - he just needs it to run so he can tune the suspension. How's the West? did you get snow today!?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So i'll be going with a 2200 stall TC, that will match the cam that has a duration of 270° Intake / 278° Exhaust, and a lift of .480'' Intake / .498'' Exhaust. The cam that's going in is a Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4 X4270H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft.

Badweld

What the Heck!!
First it was the big Pitbulls, now it v8s.
You guys are making me look bad with your atlas transfer cases and your 2200 stalls....:D
Good work. Its inspiring.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
lol, I just gotta have that sweet V8 sound coming out of the tail pipe when I'm warming up those pitbulls! Are you going to WAC at the end of the month?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So I found myself in the garage this afternoon and a few hours later this happened... and so it begins...

DSCF4921.JPGDSCF4923.JPGDSCF4925.JPGDSCF4927.JPGDSCF4930.JPG

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Got abit more done today - pulled the front end out, disconnected a few lines from the motor, pulled the seats and disconnected the rear driveshaft. Slowly but surely - I'm not planning to actually pull the motor for a week or two. Next up is tearing the dash out. Figured I'd pull the rear cover off the 14bolt - needs to be serviced and some new oil.

I seem to be running out of floor space!

DSCF4932.JPGDSCF4933.JPGDSCF4934.JPGDSCF4935.JPG

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
just put in a big order with TMR - I've decided since it literally is getting stripped down to the bones I might as well cut everything Jeep out of it and redo it, making it stronger and lighter. I always said I would beat this until the chassis started to come apart - well, this season saw 2 cracks in the subframe (two that I know of anyway). i'll do the subframe in square tubing but the rest will be in DOM. And since I'm going that far I've decided to triangulate a 4 link in the front! I've always hated panhard bars and will be happy to scrap it.

I'll most likely do aluminum for the floors with an emphasis on the KISS principle. If everything goes smoothly this winter I should have one kick ass rig come spring, a redneck hotrod!

O.D.

Club Member
Why not just get a fabbed tube frame and be done with it? Sounds like you are literally starting from scratch again!!!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
If it wasn't for the new drive train i would seriously consider it but this way i only need to buy a few hundred bucks in Steel versus 3 to 4 grand plus all the hidden costs of building a bare chassis.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Getting rid of the firewall too? (one of the best things I ever did) Gonna be :smokin: