Recommendations on Welding stuff

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I've got a Hobart 135 and it has served me extremely well but wish I had bigger.

Go with the 180 and get gas from TSC. Hwy 43 in Kempville is the is the closest to you. Watch the flyers as they go on sale every couple weeks for 10% off. Also, don't go too small on the tank size. Mine's 7" dia 30" tall (not including valve). Been happy with how long it lasts so far, using C25

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thought about it and portability is not even remotely a big requirement in what I see needing. So I decided I may as well go whole hog and get a 180.

How much was your tank and how much do you get out of it before refilling?

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Since you are going with the 180 I will also point out that I found that when I switched from using the 140 I find that my gas consumption is substantially less. I think this is because you don't have to do as many passes to achieve the desired weld and gas use is consistent in the fact that when the trigger is pulled I think no matter the size of the welder the gas output is basically the same. Can anybody verify this?
Also I rent my tank for $65 a year and I don't know it's volume but it costs $95 to fill. One of the guys at my local welding supply store pointed out earlier this year that I was using quite a bit more (5 tanks in 3 months) with all the projects going on in my garage and suggested the next size bottle up which is only $20 more per year rental and $10 more per fill but holds 45% more gas which is a signifcant savings when using lots of gas. One thing I don't like was that this next size up only comes in a low Oxygen mixture so it burns quite a bit colder and there is a lot more splatter which I have had to adjust my welding style to compensate for. I may consider going to the full size bottle next time as I believe it is again only $20 more per year but holds twice the volume of the standard tank for again only $10 more and I will get my normal mix back but have to buy a larger cart to hold the big tank :banghead:. There is probably no way you would ever need the big tanks Chris but I am pointing this out to show that gas per volume goes up exponentially the smaller the container. I know this as I used to use spitfire torch tanks and the cost of filling them a couple times of year was a good deal more than renting standard tanks and having them filled the once I needed for the same amount of gas.
John Farley do you have one of the bought tanks still? If so if you have a chance could you measure the height and diameter so we have an idea of the volume? When I last looked at buying TSC was not around but still even at $300 that is still 4 years worth of rental but at only $30 per fill I would like to know at what time that balances out for somebody who uses as much gas as I do.
Jon Wilson how much to fill your tank?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Makes sense, I figure I will probably buy over rent. I am pretty sure I won't be evenremotely close to the amount you do butI got a quote for 185 for a tank and 65 to fill. Forgot to ask what size that tank was which is a tad important.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Well final inspection on my new circuit passed. My new welder should be in around Wednesday. Decided to go whole-hog and going with the Miller 180. Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Proud owner of a new Millermatic 180. Started getting it setup and hit a snag. With the regulator that comes with it (pardon my lack of proper terms) when I hooked it up to the cylinder and turn on the cylinder, gas shoots out of the bottom. There looks to be two holes and one has a nipple for the host that hooks up to the rear of the welder. That is brain dead simple. The other hole I suspect is supposed to be plugged. The manual (yes I read the manual) doesn't mention anything about this and I think there is supposed to be a screw in there but isn't (see picture)

20110906165420219..jpg

Also the small handle on the regulator when I turn it all the way counter clockwise, it comes off. Sound like a faulty part?

D

Dirk

Check with where you purchased it, seems like it's bad or wrong regulator.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeah Umm, let's just say it was operator error and forget we even talked about it :)

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Here is the results of my first welding project.

A cart. Not bad if I may say so. Note how the picture is far enough back and enough out of focus that you can't see the hack job of welding I did :)

Attachments

• 20110915163707693..jpg
    20110915163707693..jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 6
B

Big-Hoe

2Greys, do you still need some scrap to work with, we've got some angle iron at the shop? I believe it is 3" x 8' x 1/4", I would have to check again to be sure, haven't looked at it in a while but i could grab you a couple if you want.