Repair and Replace 90's YJ

dougiet

ETHANOL PROBLEMS WITH OLDER YEAR PARTS PRE 2003

SPOKE WITH DELPHI TECH, "EITHER ETHANOL HIGHER THAN 15% IN THE GAS FROM THE GAS STATION, OR OLDER PARTS TOO LONG ON THE SELLER'S SHELF"

ETHANOL ON OLDER PARTS STOCK IS HARSH. ENGINE OIL IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR THE DIAPHRAGM. 3 PUMPS, 2 MFOOO9'S 1 CARTER

ON THE ENGINE, GET A SMALL HOSE TO THE FUEL PUMP INLET AND POUR A TEASPOON OF MINERAL SPIRITS IN AS YOU CRANK THE ENGINE UNTIL THE OIL IS SEEN AT THE THREADED OUTLET.

dougiet

Found out that a gas station 'Drumond Fuels' sell ethanol free in 91 octanes. Just siphoned out 18 liters of ethanol of gas and bought 20 liters of this ethanol-free gas to go in the tank.
Installed the Carter replacement fuel pump, the motor started of course but the pump is making a banging noise when running, I am not making this up.
There are the two Delphi pumps arriving later today.

dougiet

The banging noise was like the whole motor like cylinder combustion, removed the rocker cover ran the motor, some pushrods like 4 did not cycle or move the intake valve rockers only but the rest did operate. After 40 seconds the noise oiled up with the motor running with good.
I drained the oil and let drain for 2 days, I believe gummy from gas and corrosion from ethanol or not driven is or are it.?
The engine has a good throttle response. Now the exhaust smells like ethanol-free gas.

Last edited:

dougiet

The trip to the garage for certification was canceled due to bad weather, looking into September.

Using ethanol-free gas 91 from Drummonds, CT in Bells Corners sells ethanol free 91.

I will drive around the block a few times today to roll the motor and see how well the fuel pump goes.

I plan to park the Jeep in November, I am curious if the engine could use a flush again.

I am thinking of diesel fuel 1 quart to 3-quarts oil mix.

dougiet

Removed the distributor and used the drill on the oil pump. Backed off all rocker bolts and drilled away for 10 minutes to charge the lifters. I need a good engine flush. This engine needs to be driven for christ's sake, this mechanical fuel pump issue has delayed the long drive by 6 weeks.

The idea of Dextron II added to the oil will provide some assistance.

Any suggestions?

dougiet

The pump has arrived. Will plan how and where to mount this quality pump.

Attachments

• RED PUMP.jpg
    RED PUMP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

dougiet

Parts are slow for delivery, the engine block off plate is the hold-up.

Went to all box stores for the metal plate but was sol.

Fortunately, I was able to get a 5/16 th barb at 1/2 inch pipe thread for the fuel line, spent a long time getting that pieced together. Princess Auto does not carry 5/16 barbs.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
My Subaru has been in pieces waiting on a high pressure PS line for a month now, so I feel your pain. DD'ing a gas 2500 isn't the best thing with current fuel prices.

dougiet

The fuel pump failures started the first week of July. I was ready then for getting certified.

I need some wind for the sails.

dougiet

The electric fuel pump works! Using a 5/16 barb and fuel line the Holley Red pump drew fuel from the tank with no problem, the motor runs much better and has no hesitation from the carb under load. The throttle response is more predictable and ready. A good sense of confidence was the first advantage I noted.

The pump is loud and should quiet up as it breaks in I guess. I raised the pump up into the brackets and is protected more with the frame rail.

Holley up an in.jpg

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
External pumps are loud. It's the one reason I keep eyeing up the Holley Sniper setup that would bolt right into my fuel cell.

dougiet

The increase in performance with installing an electric pump is a good reason to go to a computer carb!
I still am working out issues with the rest of the YJ for now, but I agree with many other people who suggested a sniper.

dougiet

Hi Richard, Yes there is rubber but hard to see in the final picture. The pump buzz quiets up as the motor runs.
Looking forward to next spring as you work on your Toyota.

dougiet

What a ride!
I drove this shit box for the first time, 45 kilometers. Drove the 80 k roads easily thru the farmlands past Stittsville to Richmond. Put in $40.00 gas there but watching the gas gauge move should have been $100.00!
Lots of power, lots of pedal too, and she drove straight on the roads with all the wind whistling off the mirrors it was a blast.
No oil burning smell, no leaks, and the radiator did the job. The brakes are strong it will stop on a dime.
The rear driveshaft needs alignment to the TC.
Too bad I can drive now near the end of September, but worth all the hands-on wrenching, and the junky new parts.
I have learned a lot about Jeeps here on the Ottawa Valley Offroaders web forum.

Thank You to all who offered their advice with my YJ.