Repair and Replace 90's YJ

toytech

Club Member
Way to go! I remember the first drive in mine after the boys and I finished it, such an awesome feeling.

dougiet

I started to enjoy the drive from the get-go! Cruising down the country roads I ended up almost running out of gas near Richmond. I forgot to stop and fill the tank after I headed out!

Will paint these colors in the spring.
new jeep 3.jpg

dougiet

Clicking noise from TC when in D and 4wd hi
When the TC is in 2wd it works well, in 4wd hi the shift lever feels and sounds engaged. In 4wd hi with the tranny in D under slow acceleration there is a rapid clicking noise. When the tranny is placed in reverse with slow acceleration the noise will randomly be heard.
In 4wd hi rolling with the tranny in N there is random clicking.

Is the TC shifter adjustable on the outside of the TC? or am I going into the TC to replace and repair it?

Also, I have not tested the operation of the TC in 4wd low.

Another test was the jeep on four jack stands with all tires off the ground with the engine running in D the TC was placed in 4wd hi and low with no noises. Only when the jeep is on the road are these noises heard.

Attachments

• TC adust.jpg
    TC adust.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dougiet

Yes, Kunker I will move to the dana 30 as the TC shift linkage was set to spot on and did not require any adjustment.

dougiet

Have stored the jeep till May drove 350 k's and she just kept getting better performance. The fuel economy was good, the engine oil on the dipstick hardly moved, handling was straight, acceleration was good, no rattles or squeaks, shocks, and spring packs were a-ok.

Have to do a driveshaft alignment.
all for this year..jpg

Last edited:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
The fuel economy was good, the engine oil on the dipstick hardly moved, handling was straight, acieration was good, no rattles or squeaks, shocks and spring packs were a-ok,.

That's gotta be one of the rarest unicorn Jeeps there are! Or it just shows how much sweat and tears you actually put in to this thing.

dougiet

Looking forward to seeing you at the Kanata car show one day per month. It is the new meeting spot?

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
We're still meeting at High Five Sports Pub in Bells Corners last Thursday of the month, so we will have one this Thursday. We also have a newbie run June 3rd you could join if you're ready, it's a power line and most of it is gentle with optional obstacles to the sides.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Love the red. Newbie run at the Gorge would be a great first trail, I would highly recommend it.

toytech

Club Member
The Gorge was the first ride I took mine on. Was great to see what it was capable of.
The red looks great

dougiet

Another job that was done today in an effort to get my Jeep YJ ready for road certification inspection was installing a backup switch for a B&M ratchet shifter. There was a metal tab on the side where the switch can be positioned and adjusted so that the shift lever when in reverse would close the micro switch and light the backup lights.
Had to mark and drill holes on the mounting tab as needed, then try again and again to get those little nuts on the threads all while leaning over the seats!

1691387526739.png1691387542683.png1691387552776.png1691387564634.png
Link...B&M Micro switch

Last edited:

dougiet

I need to install Daytime Running Lights. Since 1989 it is law in Canada.
Amazon sells a modular that wires in for LEDs, also there are DRLs that come with LED light strips which needs to be wired in.

There is a factory modular for the YJ, get it on ebay.

1691388042589.png