Strange

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
If the original plumber was any good, yes, there should be a valve before the pressure tank. Dont use the one that is on the tank itself, if there is any sludge in the tank, it will be in the sample. When you take the sample, make sure the pump is running so you know for certain the water in the sample is coming from the well, not backflow from the tank.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
We talk about where we want to buy. Do we buy out in the country? Lower priced houses, larger lots, your neighbor is not on your doorstep? The dogs would love it. But then spending essentially 2 hours a day at least going to and coming from work?

Time is money. Although not paid for it, I look at the commute as being part of how much I bring home every day as it is time sacrificed from my spare time which means the longer the commute, the less I make an hour. The advantage of being 5 minutes from a grocery store if you run out or forget something is also nice. There was a study about two years back that basically said if you are 20 minutes away from a hospital your chances of survival of an accident or medical emergency drops extremely (can't remember the stat but it was shocking). Plus the myth that you are better off raising kids in a small town. May be true for under 10 but once the teen years kick in, boredom ensues. Something about idle hands... I spent the first 6 years of my teens in a city of 12 million and the last in a town of 8000. Surprisingly, I saw more drug and alcohol abuse among kids my age in the small town. Course this was Rockland but I digress...

Course cities have their detriments as well (as has been well pointed out) and this is why we still bandy back and forth over this question. Each has their sacrifices and it is up to the individual to decide what they are willing to live with and what they won't.

One thing I won't live with again, dial up internet (shudder) ;)

I live a 5 minute drive from Walmart and 30 minutes regardless of weather from my work in Kanata. 10 minutes from two hospitals, lots of schools in the area. Hi-speed internet, reliable power, everything I could want in the city.

I also live on a few acres, farm behind me, no traffic, no noise, and lots of room to build a shop. Friendly neighbours. When I lived in Ottawa, I was only a few KM away from work but it still took 20 minutes to drive (30 min biking in). I was just as close to hospitals and groceries, but I had no room to turn around without hitting another person or house. And for the same money I pay now, I could only afford to live in less than friendly neighbourhoods.

Not all country living is miles from everything.

Jimbog

Club Member
Yes the country life is not total seclusion. I have 80 acres. And there is a Tim Horton's 8km from my door! less than 5 minutes from my house and 15 mins from a 24hr Walmart in Cornwall. Of course I can get to these places quicker because my car doors are unlocked and my keys and wallet are in the car already!LOL. We have 6 kids aged 8 -21 and they are never board, they have ATVs, Snowmobiles,my 4x4 truck to drive. We even have our own toboggan hill,and horses to ride in the summer. Our nearest neighbour is 3km away. Yes there is more work to do, laneway to plow in the winter,grass to cut in the summer, and we have cattle and horses and raise Newfie's so there is lots of work. But at the end of a hard days work on a hot summer night and you're laying on your back, with a cool breeze rolling by, looking up at the milkyway and the millions of stars, and all you hear is the crickets and the bullfrogs and the odd cow mooing. its very relaxing. Hard to relax like that in the city!

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
I'm 7 minutes from grocery, 10 minutes from Walmart and Home Depot, and 10 minutes from nearest hospital.

I find it is the ones who have never done the country living thing that defend the city living, but that is fine, we don't need more people taking up our space :flipoff:

oh and x4 on Jim...

Jimbog

Club Member
Good point Adrian and John, lets keep the city folk in the city!! LOL

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
And this is why I started with the line that we are still discussing what we are willing to sacrifice regarding buying a house...

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
we don't need more people taking up our space :flipoff:

Your right about not letting more people come out to the country

Dont worry, not taking your "country living" even for free :flipoff::flipoff:

Found that the live is too short to spend it driving to/back work (and 10 min. to the nearest cofee shop).

The discussion is pointless, I am out :smokin:.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Ditto on what Adrain, John & Jim have all said. I want out of the fawking city as much as I'd like to win the 649 Jackpot.
I'd much rather drive 30 min to everything than have to listen to the noise of the city.

N

NitroTy

Found that the live is too short to spend it driving to/back work (and 10 min. to the nearest cofee shop).

Life is too short to spend it sick because the city noise kept me up all night! :stir:
Oh, and it's cheaper and quicker to just make your own coffee.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I think when you get down to it, different strokes for different folks. And Mitko is right, this thread is pointless, you won't convince the people who like the city life that country living is superior and vice versa. Each has their advantages and disadvantages and it is up to each person to decide which is better for them. I wish I could...

Oh, PS your favourite band/sport team sucks :)

Life is too short to spend it sick because the city noise kept me up all night! :stir:
Oh, and it's cheaper and quicker to just make your own coffee.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I think when you get down to it, different strokes for different folks. And Mitko is right, this thread is pointless, you won't convince the people who like the city life that country living is superior and vice versa. Each has their advantages and disadvantages and it is up to each person to decide which is better for them. I wish I could...

Very true. I wish everyone had a chance to try both. I spent time living a few blocks from U of O, and being a 10 minute walk from whatever I wanted to do was awesome at that time of my life. I got used to the background noise, I enjoyed being able to head out at 2am and find a party down the street, or an open store for some munchies, or whatever I was looking for.

Now that I'm a bit older and looking to start a family, I'd much rather have a quiet area with lots of room for kids to run around. It's all about what you're looking for at that particular time in your life. There are still some nights that I wish we were in Ottawa to be closer to friends, but they are becoming fewer each month.

Loco

I'd wheel it
I like spending time in the hot tub buck necked not worrying about who is peeping over the fence or through thier windows. I know all my neighbours around me and can count on them to watch my little one if need be.

Out of context that could sound bad. LOL:lmao:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
And you can paint your garage any colour you want :)

For us, those are all the reasons to move out of the city. We are tired of the proximity of the neighbors, living across from an apartment building. The big problem with commute is my wife drives around for a living which would make the day that much more aggravating. Plus with my career, right now I am downtown/Walkley road but who knows, I could be in Kanata next year.

I wouldn't say it's pointless. It is just a fun discussion. Isn't that what forums are for?:smokin:

Personally I like having a life time supply of wood in my back yard. I also like the fact of being able to have a geothermal heat pump, and the rock to put it in. I like spending time in the hot tub buck necked not worrying about who is peeping over the fence or through thier windows. I know all my neighbours around me and can count on them to watch my little one if need be. I am sure that if I ever became a sled head the advantage of being able to leave from my property and be on the main trail in 30 seconds would be a huge bonus. Plus I love being far enough from the mall that Karen can't hear it's call every day......LoL. My first tax bill before we built the shop was 6.49 cents and we had the option of two installments. I know where my mechanic lives so I know he won't screew me on a repair.

Plus, I grew out of Kanata. There is no room to have 7 vehicles plus the bus. Plus I know what is in my water.:p

S

smith

Wow, this topic sure deviated, time for me to help!

I've lived both in the country and the city. Heck, for a summer we lived out at the cottage. It ain't TRUE country living until you have to use an outhouse for 6 months =)

Certain parts of the city are actually not that bad. I'm in nepean and i can leave my doors unlocked. Heck i've left my car windows down for a weekend with no problems, most of my neighbors even leave their garages open. There's just the one streetlight on the corner and that's it. It's almost "country dark" at night, which is nice considering i'm just a few kms from baseline/greenbank.

Everyones friendly, we have neighborhood parties with all the families but it's not your cliche "suburbia" environment. No one cares if your grass is longer than 1 and 1/2 inch. Hell, i don't think i mowed the left hand of my lot where i parked my bike trailer all year last year. And the guy across the street has a huge pile of scrap wood beside his house. Me and my neighbors would certainly get some complaints in Kanata real quick :flipoff: Cutting down a tree, shingling your roof, give it 10-20 minutes and at least one neighbor will be out there helping out.

I do prefer country living for the space and freedom, but it's getting a bit like suburbia no matter where you go. My parents live on silver lake where it was nice and quiet when i was a kid. Now we hear seadoos and lawn mowers all the time, kids screaming and the like. And these same people are complaining about the noises from our dirtbikes and quads... sigh.

But we're stuck in the city because the commute is short and both me and the wife work downtown and I don't see that changing until govy retirement time =) Well, for her since she's full time govy. Maybe if i sell enough iPhone apps on the Apple Store i can "buy her out" and convince her to move to the country with all the "bugs" (she's a city girl :) )