Strange

J

JeepJen

Ty's parents gave us a generator in case of a power outage, but we need to be home in order to use that :) Battery back up is not a bad idea. I'll look into it when we can afford it. Did I mention we need to do the roof in the spring? :) Ah yes the joys

Billygoat

I was looking after my bros. place over xmas while he went down south. He's got two electric and one battery sump pump, with a charger attached to the battery incase of multiple outages (I guess) and sensors on the floor that trigger a call to his cell (it floods fast). Everything failed during that wind storm and we had to use his generator to save the basement from flooding. I got a 'Thanks Bud'. Not even a t-shirt.

Jen, I assume it's the total coliform count and not the e coli count that is up? What are the numbers? We had a hell of an issue that turned into sampling error (contamination at the faucet). I hate that bleach process, especially when you have to do it multiple times.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Man I love this country life :) (Except for the shoveling)

Gee, sure sounds like fun. Bad water, flooded basement, no more shingles. Lovin it I bet! I hate turning on my city tap and can be 95% assured there will be water there. I hate having my power wires buried under ground so power outages are rare as well. (Kanata doesn't count, their power sources are fawked!) I hate it, hate it, hate it!!!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I don't do roofs. I can pee in my backyard without getting a look from them. :)

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
That's pretty bad for the well, only thing I can think of is an animal fell in the well.

I had 2 regular pumps then one burnt out due to the hose being clogged. We're not sure, but we think a mouse crawled in from outside and died in there, the water was 1/4" from the edge of the sump pit when I noticed. That's when I bought the battery backup one, that way I have some protection in case of a long power outage, and it sounds an alarm if it comes on telling me the primary pump isn't doing it's job.

How often does your sump pump have to run? I know there are a couple people in our neighborhood that's pump runs not stop. Princess sells some cheap sump pumps that makes a good back-up. But you have to be home to notice.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
There is a battery backup Sump Pump at TSC right now for $199.00

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Ya but can you pee off your roof without getting a look from the neighbors?
Yes I can, although I am not climbing the roof to pee. And all this without generators, hundreds of sump pums, ruined dwels, bacterias in the water and such funny country life details. Oh, and without E-test. But what do I know....

Man, I love this country life - within the city.

J

JeepJen

Jen, I assume it's the total coliform count and not the e coli count that is up? What are the numbers? We had a hell of an issue that turned into sampling error (contamination at the faucet). I hate that bleach process, especially when you have to do it multiple times.

Yea, zero e-coli it's the coliform. First test was 7 second was 8 and I just did a 3rd test yesterday and just in case I did it from another tap. Fingers crossed it's the tap.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Jenn: is it possible to take a sample closer to the start of the system? Like before the pressure tank. Take one at the tap and one before the tank will indicate if it is in the well or in the house. As for all you city folk........:flipoff: You don't know what your all missing!!! Clean air, stary skies, no street lights and buses, ( well when the assholes aren't on strike).

To each his own. As for power outages, maybe twice in 4 years. :smokin:

Yup, I did the Ottawa thing for about 10 years, never again :D

No home owners association, and my Land Tax is about 1/3 :flipoff::flipoff:

Oh, and I can leave my car unlocked with the keys in it and it is still there in the morning, imagine that! :smokin:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
3 1/2 drives to work, then when you turn around and go home because the drive is taking so long you bitch about it. Falling on deaf ears my friend. Country folk knew the risks when moving outside of city limits. LOL

Wow has this thread ever gone off topic.

Sent from my iPhone

On 16-Jan-09, at 7:32 PM, "Mud Lite" wrote:

Jenn: is it possible to take a sample closer to the start of the system? Like before the pressure tank. Take one at the tap and one before the tank will indicate if it is in the well or in the house. As for all you city folk........
You don't know what your all missing!!! Clean air, stary skies, no street lights and buses, ( well when the assholes aren't on strike).

To each his own. As for power outages, maybe twice in 4 years.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
LOL!!!!!! My house is 26years old (not me :flipoff:) My parents are only on the second sump pump, never had a flood, never had any problem with the water,
and like Adrian and John have said. Clean air, no traffic lights, you can leave your keys in your car unlocked and it still will be there in the morning. With Kanata being so built up the drive even isn't that bad anymore. It's great!!

:flipoff::flipoff:!

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
My city? I don't ride the bus, and I'm not a driver, it has nothing to do with me. My drive isn't impacted much, as Stacy's isn't either. Don't see my Facebook/MSN bitching about it, unlike some. LoL I guess in percentages my drive has increased by 33%, from 10 mins to 15. Maybe I should call in sick once a week too! HAHAHAHA
My neighbour, what does that strange old man have to do with anything?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
We talk about where we want to buy. Do we buy out in the country? Lower priced houses, larger lots, your neighbor is not on your doorstep? The dogs would love it. But then spending essentially 2 hours a day at least going to and coming from work?

Time is money. Although not paid for it, I look at the commute as being part of how much I bring home every day as it is time sacrificed from my spare time which means the longer the commute, the less I make an hour. The advantage of being 5 minutes from a grocery store if you run out or forget something is also nice. There was a study about two years back that basically said if you are 20 minutes away from a hospital your chances of survival of an accident or medical emergency drops extremely (can't remember the stat but it was shocking). Plus the myth that you are better off raising kids in a small town. May be true for under 10 but once the teen years kick in, boredom ensues. Something about idle hands... I spent the first 6 years of my teens in a city of 12 million and the last in a town of 8000. Surprisingly, I saw more drug and alcohol abuse among kids my age in the small town. Course this was Rockland but I digress...

Course cities have their detriments as well (as has been well pointed out) and this is why we still bandy back and forth over this question. Each has their sacrifices and it is up to the individual to decide what they are willing to live with and what they won't.

One thing I won't live with again, dial up internet (shudder) ;)

J

JeepJen

There are definite pluses and minuses to both city and country. For me I'll take country with all it's flaws any day. To each his own.
For us there wasn't mush draw back. The commute, well the drive is the same amount of time for Tyler but now it's all spent driving instead of in traffic. We have no plans for children so the dilemma of which is a better environment to raise them doesn't matter to us. Though we have argued over it, him growing up in the country and me in the city. I honestly believe city is better because of what 2greys mentioned. Boredom ensues.

Back to the water for a second though. Got the second results in the mail today. I miss understood when I called in for the results. It says greater than 80! I think something was very wrong with the sample I took. John, I will take your suggestion of trying to get a sample before the tank. I do believe there is a tap don there I will investigate Sunday.