Wanted: Built Yota

M

Morley

Looking to buy a built 4Runner, or Tacoma... Solid Axle only pls...
Let me know what you have...

Also will consider other makes, but prefer Toyota's...
Thanks!!

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Yup:

http://www.ovo.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=476

Do a solid axle swap and your golden :)

The Frame in this truck is in amazing shape, a perfect starting point.

If you SAS an IFS truck you get IFS power steering box for hi-steer and a stronger frame, you also get 3" wider track width and can use all the IFS hub/brakes on the solid axle to match the 3" wider rear...

Almost impossible to find an 85 with a solid axle without a rotten frame... I know, been there :p

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Let me know what you have...

Also will consider other makes, but prefer Toyota's...
Thanks!!
Which one is better than Toyota right out of the box? 2 solid axles, solid NON rusted frame, lockers front and rear, coil suspension, etc; unuquie by itself.

just bring your cash babe :)

M

Morley

Which one is better than Toyota right out of the box? 2 solid axles, solid NON rusted frame, lockers front and rear, coil suspension, etc; unuquie by itself.

just bring your cash babe :)

Do you have a rig for sale?

M

Morley

Thanks for the fast response...
I did see your add, and appreciate your response... However, I have never done axle swaps and to be quite honest, I find it a little intimidating, hence why I was looking for a built yota, so that I can just repair what breaks, rather than fab and build...

I own a 97 Tacoma 4x4, 5spd 3.4L V6 that I would love to SAS, but don't have the know how to do it :confused:

That's another option, if someone could do it for me, I would be willing to pay for the job.

Yup:

http://www.ovo.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=476

Do a solid axle swap and your golden :)

The Frame in this truck is in amazing shape, a perfect starting point.

If you SAS an IFS truck you get IFS power steering box for hi-steer and a stronger frame, you also get 3" wider track width and can use all the IFS hub/brakes on the solid axle to match the 3" wider rear...

Almost impossible to find an 85 with a solid axle without a rotten frame... I know, been there :p

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I can understand what your feeling, been there too.. I never did any real fab work at all until I built my truck.. But once I got into it, I never looked back.. The SAS is actually one of the easier mods. Would only take a weekend with a couple guys... My motto has always been, If you learn to build it yourself, you can fix it on the trail when/if it breaks ;)

Here is my build-up, and I did it all with no prior experience and basic tools such as 110 welder, grinder, torches, etc...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402170

No better feeling that to see a project come together that you did yourself....

M

Morley

Tell me what you think of this unit... He wants $5000 firm....

1989 toyota 4 runner
Modified for offroad, lots of money invested
35" boggers, hydraulic heavy duty military winch 8500lbs,
4 1/2" suspension and 3" body lift, Locked front and back, welded front and easy locker in the rear, Rear disk brakes.

$5000 Firm

Frame has small crack near the front.. needs welding...
========

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Tell me what you think of this unit... He wants $5000 firm....

1989 toyota 4 runner
Modified for offroad, lots of money invested
35" boggers, hydraulic heavy duty military winch 8500lbs,
4 1/2" suspension and 3" body lift, Locked front and back, welded front and easy locker in the rear, Rear disk brakes.

$5000 Firm

Frame has small crack near the front.. needs welding...

Depends what you want out of it. It looks nice, but with 7 1/2" of total lift it is going to be real unstable, welded front just plain sucks, Boggers suck on the road. Crack in the frame is suspect, cause if there is one, odds are there will be others or will be soon...

Bottom line, I think it is about 2K over priced and if you want to daily drive it, I would say not to get it. But it could be fixed.

Remove body lift, put 33's on it, replace welded front, fix frame...

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
Do you have a rig for sale?
yea. and forget to mention - there is 2 sets of wheels with it - 31s on alus for DD and brand new 34s Interco SS on steels for everywhere else - no limits. plus 9000 Warn winch and many, many more. if interested PM me

M

Morley

I dont need it as a Daily Driver, but I would need to safety it so that I can drive it to the trails :)

Mitko, check your PM's ;)

Depends what you want out of it. It looks nice, but with 7 1/2" of total lift it is going to be real unstable, welded front just plain sucks, Boggers suck on the road. Crack in the frame is suspect, cause if there is one, odds are there will be others or will be soon...

Bottom line, I think it is about 2K over priced and if you want to daily drive it, I would say not to get it. But it could be fixed.

Remove body lift, put 33's on it, replace welded front, fix frame...

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Don't forget that as an 89, you'd also need to have it e-tested (depending on where you live). I agree with Adrian...I cracked the frame in my S-10 years ago, and while it was fixable, it was just the first of many to come.

G

Gadzooks

That is a very nice mall cruiser. But it all depends on what you want to do with it? I know you said you want to register it, so I am assuming you would drive it on the st then? boggers are insane on the st, and with a welded front end you'd be up for a real treat driving that thing around. Last thing you want to do is buy a truck and start un-modding it, doesn't seem to make much sense. Plus as Adrian mentioned, it is way too tall for trail driving. I am sure there are several people on here who would gladly do a SAS swap for you. I wouldn't suggest doing it to the taco though, seems like too nice of a truck to be messing with in the trails. This coming from a fellow taco owner about to lift his truck!
ha

M

Morley

That is a very nice mall cruiser. But it all depends on what you want to do with it? I know you said you want to register it, so I am assuming you would drive it on the st then? boggers are insane on the st, and with a welded front end you'd be up for a real treat driving that thing around. Last thing you want to do is buy a truck and start un-modding it, doesn't seem to make much sense. Plus as Adrian mentioned, it is way too tall for trail driving. I am sure there are several people on here who would gladly do a SAS swap for you. I wouldn't suggest doing it to the taco though, seems like too nice of a truck to be messing with in the trails. This coming from a fellow taco owner about to lift his truck!
ha

I hear ya on the street vs trail vehicle...
The only reason I would want it street legal is to ride it "to" the trail and back home... Since I dont want to buy a trailer and haul my trail rig around. :(

As for my Taco, she's starting to rust around the rear fenders, {inevitable with these trucks} and I think it would be a very capable truck, running on 35's, SAS and locked... I'd be pretty happy with that...

My last truck had 35's Toyo MT's and that was fun, but limited as it was IFS and too new to bang up in the trails :D

Here is what she looked like last summer...

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

I'd say it's a no brainer. Don't go screwing around with some old rusted out piece of sh!t; false economy.

Beg, borrow, pay, steal the expertise you need to SFA that puppy.

Loco

I'd wheel it
I'd say it's a no brainer. Don't go screwing around with some old rusted out piece of sh!t; false economy.

Beg, borrow, pay, steal the expertise you need to SFA that puppy.

X2

You've already got a solid platform to start with. SAS it throw on some 35's and giver'. I'm sure you'll find plenty of volunteers that would love to help you tear into a clean looking truck like that.

Just my 2 cents

S

slamigo

In theory, I'd say to build up that Taco, but if it's your only ride, I wouldn't do it. It's much better to have a DD and a vehicle to offroad and work on. You don't want to mess something up on a Sunday afternoon and not be able to get to work on Monday.
Also, SAS is not overly complicated, but it does take some welding, that should be done by a professional. Your insurance company may also have a different opinion on any modifications you're planning to that Taco as well. It would be a real shame to drop 4-5k building it up and then not be able to insure it.
Just something to think about.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
In theory, I'd say to build up that Taco, but if it's your only ride, I wouldn't do it. It's much better to have a DD and a vehicle to offroad and work on. You don't want to mess something up on a Sunday afternoon and not be able to get to work on Monday.
Also, SAS is not overly complicated, but it does take some welding, that should be done by a professional. Your insurance company may also have a different opinion on any modifications you're planning to that Taco as well. It would be a real shame to drop 4-5k building it up and then not be able to insure it.
Just something to think about.

Yup, wheeling your DD sucks, been there, won't go back....

SAS the Taco, dovetail the rear and buy a car for DD :)

http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=80

M

Morley

I've already got a car for commuting, thats why I'm ok with converting my taco for trail.

Thanks for the all pro offroad link... Not sure what all is needed there though..
I feel like such a newbie... :(

Can I just find some old yota axles and just buy the "Basic Link and Bracket Kit" and "SAS Steering Kit"