Wetum winter road Dates to be announced

badcompany

Club Member
If anyone is interested in a weekend excursion and some very cold camping I'm trying to get a group togeather.

What you will need is:
a good running vehicle
winter camping gear just in case
but most of all a sense of adventure

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I did not know you could drive there - I thought it was rail access only. Neat.

badcompany

Club Member
thanks for sharing. took the hydro dam tour years back but never went further than chisasabi.

I know your truck is new but what is the plan in case of mechanical faliure?

This trip will not be 1/10 of what you have done but fun none the less

Last edited:

bzzr2

If the truck breaks down the only plan I have is to hike to ppl, worst case scenario I carry a spot beacon on all of my trips.

I dunno, I would say this trip will be a 10 on 10 since I have only seen where winter roads start during the summer and have always wanted to drive one!!

I am all for going all the way to Attawapiskat!

badcompany

Club Member
Attawapiskat, because of the covid I'm leaning on leave in the morning and back at night, with little to no contact with anyone outside of the group going, providing there will be a group:). Lets see when the time comes.

bzzr2

i have a trip in mind that some you youtubers shared... within Ontario and very North.... soon as the snow melts :cool:

bzzr2

Windigo Lk!! It is as far as I know the Northernmost point we can drive a truck in Ontario. From Ottawa it is about 2200km one way. I would love to be wrong and find somewhere even further North! This is a plan for late spring for me, as soon as the road is traversable beyond Pickle Lk. My thought is that it might be fun to head to Sudbury, take Portelance rd to hwy 560, then head west to the Sultan rd and then go along Superior to get some early gravel, alternatively to do these sections on the way back to get some late gravel travel. I know a few great camping locations along Superior. I am open to suggestions and extra/interesting detours along the way.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Yeah, I've only been to Pickle Lake, but was curious how much further the road goes, and how passable it is based on the Google Maps pics.

Most of my knowledge of logging roads and the like came from my family working in the field - what resources are you using to find these types of roads?

bzzr2

Hey Kunker, This was a random find watching 'Epic Family Road Trip' on Youtube. when I am out exploring I usually have an idea of some of the roads based on satellite images then get out with my handheld GPS and see where things take me.

bzzr2

Sounds like a pretty cool trip, and you won't have to self isolate when you get home! LoL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_599 to Pickle Lake, then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ontario_Resource_Trail to Windigo Lake. Makes me want a RTT or small adventure trailer. LoL No ground tent for me that far out in the boonies!

haha ya that is kinda the idea with the potential for limitations/restrictions on interprovincial travel. the diesel makes me much more self sufficient than the Gladiator or Tacoma could have based on mpg's. As prepped now I can travel an easy 1200-1300km without a fuel up. Food for the trip is not much of an issue if under two weeks.

bzzr2

To be fair I have to carry 60L of Diesel in the bed to get that range. I don't have an auxiliary tank or anything fancy!