05 TJ 3.5 inch lift kit installation help needed

Mud Rookie

Mall Cruiser
Hey everyone,

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got everything I need to do a proper lift on my TJ. Was not cheap but at least its going to be done right.................

Now my dilemma is to either have it done at a garage and pay through the nose or ask for some help on here and make it a learning experience, I am somewhat mechanically inclined...... I would really want to help out during the process. I could come to you. Let me know if someone would be interested in sparing a weekend...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Short of the SYE (I've got no experience with that stuff), it should be all pretty easy bolt-ons. If you've got garage space and beer, I'm sure more than a few folks will be willing to help out.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Maybe the club can arrange a Wrench-It day in the spring, get a bunch of experienced members to help out newcomers wrench on their trucks; the people getting work done supply the food and drinks (not necessarily alcoholic :flipoff:). I'll offer my place, just means everyone has to drive out to Dunrobin.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Maybe the club can arrange a Wrench-It day in the spring, get a bunch of experienced members to help out newcomers wrench on their trucks; the people getting work done supply the food and drinks (not necessarily alcoholic :flipoff:). I'll offer my place, just means everyone has to drive out to Dunrobin.

IN :beer:

could also offer up my place, but it would mean a longer drive.

Mud Rookie

Mall Cruiser
O5 Jeep TJ Sport
6 speed manual
Dana 44 rear
4.0L
Stock - No lift at the moment

and she's really pretty... LOL !!!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
i might in for this too - would make for a good day, providing all the bolts where lubed beforehand! :D

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Might be in if there is still room. I did an SYE this past August. The Rugged Ridge is pretty much identical to the Teraflex. Catch is you need a set of snap ring AND lock ring pliers.

trixter192

Club Member
I might be in for a build day. I'm researching a new lift/LT kit. I learned a lot from Mike on the 3" kit, but you never know when you run into problems. On that note, if anyone needs a spare hand let me know. I may not be knowledgeable but I can hand a wrench.

Mud Rookie

Mall Cruiser
The entire under carriage is lubed. I get her oil sprayed twice a year. All the bolts will come off without any issues I promise... !

rikker001

what size of ties you going to run with the lift, check your skid bolts and body mount bolts (if you are planning a body lift) they are a pain because you can't lube them.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
The biggest stumbling block in doing a lift on a tj is the upper rear shock bolts. The nuts are so small a lot of people have problems with the welds breaking and the bolts spinning. To fix it at that point you need to raist the tub off the frame and chisel off the old nuts. If you are doing a Body lift it makes it easier to get at.