05 TJ 3.5 inch lift kit installation help needed

K

KBjeep

I uhmm cut a hole in the floor. x2 don't recommend it but it was pretty easy to remove them!

bradleyfitz

Club Member
The biggest stumbling block in doing a lift on a tj is the upper rear shock bolts. The nuts are so small a lot of people have problems with the welds breaking and the bolts spinning. To fix it at that point you need to raist the tub off the frame and chisel off the old nuts. If you are doing a Body lift it makes it easier to get at.

Cut the head off and replace with a regular nut. It's tight fitting and you're blind putting the nut on the bolt, but with a little tape to hold the nut in the wrench, it can be done fairly easily.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
The catch is first getting the bolt off of the spinning nut. When I did my lift that was the thing that scared me the most of happening. With a body lift it is supposedly easier to do. Fortunately I didn't have the problem.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thats a drastic way of doing it. Granted if you have no choice... But if the owner was planning on doing a body lift anyways (he didn't say but it opens up some definite opportunities) you can chisel off the old bolts and put new ones or go with bar eliminators.

DannyL

not drastic at all. people cut into their trucks all the time and this is in the inside pretty much covered by the seat rails and seat. granted i have a plasma but a hole saw can do the job just as good. however this is what is going on the next time the shocks need changing http://www.quadratec.com/products/16191_504.htm

We just install the bar pin eliminators. If the bolts are toast the mount is welded in, saves time and grief and WAY easier next time you change shocks!

Life too short to waste time on a Jeep flaw....

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
l agree so much easier
I wouldn't do BPEs unless absolutely necessary, the only real advantage is it makes it less of a pain changing shocks. The big disadvantage especially with the TJ is you lose almost an inch in up travel as you have to increase your bumpstops otherwise you could end up bottoming out the shock. Most lifts that come with shocks don't take into account BPEs. Something to keep in mind at least. I do agree though they could have designed that spot a lot better. No wonder a lot of people end up outboarding their shocks.

Mud Rookie

Mall Cruiser
Well after along and VERY informative read and many and I mean many discussions with all of you and others I have made the decision to get this done professionally at PJF4x4. I have been dealing with Ozzie from PJF and he has been truly amazing. I have called him at least a dozen times over the past month and half asking him good question, silly questions and questions that I already knew the answers for yet wanted a professional second opinion. After all was said and done he gave me an option that I could not refuse. Instead of me going with a 2.5 in lift with 1 in spacers, I am now going to jump to a full blown 4 in lift with all the fixings. Spring, shocks, front and rear lower control arms, rear adjustable upper control arms, front and rear sway bar links, SYE and Tom Woods CV shaft, front and rear new TB bushings, lower pitman arm, extended stainless steel brakes lines front and back etc........................

I just figured that I am buying everything there that I would get them to put it all together. To me that just make more sense plus I will know that it will be done to spec, no issues and no problems. I really think that it will be worth the cost in the long run. As for the 2.5 inch lift kit that I currently have (still in the box) Ozzie has agreed to take it all back and allow me to buy the 4 incher with all the trimmings, now if that's not amazing service then I am not sure what is.

So I cannot thank you all enough for all your feedback, opinions, advice, remarks and help. You guys are really awesome and trust me when I say, your not off the ropes just yet. I will more than likely be asking for more feedback, opinions, advice, remarks and help in the not so distant future.... There are many other things that I have planned for my Rig so stay tuned...

As for all the spare parts that I will have please see the " for sale " part of the forum. I will be posting them all there... today.

Thanks again everyone

Danny
aka: Mud Rookie

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Sometimes it's best to bring in the professionals especially considering the amount of work that is going to be involved all at once.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
My first lift was installed on a Wrench-it weekend, I drove home Saturday night with lift springs in the front and stock springs in the back, I'm sure a few people were laughing at my Jeep! You'll also get it done and enjoy the new ride sooner.

I'll keep my offer open for anyone else that wants work done.

Mud Rookie

Mall Cruiser
One last question, I promise.

Now that I have decided to get my 4 inch lift kit installed professionally, I am stuck with 4 new 1 inch poly spring spacers..... Now my question is this, Can I add these to the lift and give it 5 inches ???? Considering that I am installing new and longer front and rear lower CA and rear upper adjustable CA as well as longer break lines, pitman arm etc.....Would I have any issues with the extra inch. Or should I simply stay with the 4 inches ??