Buying a YJ

O

OzPlanet

I am buying a Red 87 YJ on Saturday from Cornwall. It has never been winter driven. No rust what so ever. Frame is good. 212000km $3000

What do you think good buy ?

R

Root Moose

Yes. I'm not a fan of the carb or transmission but rust free is worth a lot to me.

O

OzPlanet

It is a 5 speed, so it does have that going for it :)

Is there anything I should be looking for once I get it ?

This will be my first Jeep and 4x4, I am getting it becuase I need a winter Vehicule. I am currently driving a Dodge Ram Lowered real low...too low and fast for Winter.

Should be fun to lift. I am thinking of a 2.5" Lift and 1" body lift with 33" tires.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
It's a YJ, no need for a bodylift on a YJ!

Spring over it, add a SYE on the t-case, a track bar and front sway bar disconnects and you can run 33's all day long. Re-gear to 4.56 and add a locker and you have a very capable trail truck.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Exactly as described above, brings back fond memories...

O

OzPlanet

So what do I need for SOA ? New Axle perches U bolts Welder ?

Any place locally I can buy SYE,Trackbar ?

Gears and locker will be after the lift ;)

R

Root Moose

IMO, the only reason to ever add a BL is if you have swapped in a different driveline that needs the clearance (tranny hump). Even then I'd be more inclined to cut the floor first. I dislike the look of BLs that much (but that's just me).

Rust free?

Your going to winter drive it?

I'm crying inside.

:(

D

DoctorPhate

Check for rust around the steering box and rear shackles and check that the rockers are solid.

Other then that, lift her and wheel her like a cheap whore.

O

OzPlanet

Ok good to know. I have been doing some reading online and there have been no clear answers as to what is needed to run 33"

Rust free. Not to worry. It will stay rust free. I am the type that will take everything apart and and put a good coat of paint on it so it stays rust free for years. I like it to be clean before I make a mess.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
For the Drop pitman question assuming it is like a TJ there is no point unless you are over 4". You would probably do more harm than good.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
So what do I need for SOA ? New Axle perches U bolts Welder ?

Any place locally I can buy SYE,Trackbar ?

Gears and locker will be after the lift ;)

Yes, new perches and Ubolts, build the track bar yourself, no one sells SYE's locally as far as I know, you can probably get one from PJF4x4 in Montreal.
New shock mounts will need to be fabbed. Relocate brake lines.

That will fit 33's easy. Very easy. Even with worn out front springs my TruXus had no issues.

O

OzPlanet

I was thinking getting new leafs/Ubolts made a Malmbergs.

Now since I am putting new perches on do I really need a SYE ? Is it becuase the shaft will not be long enough or to correct the pinion angle ?

Shock mount ? Wouldn't I just need new longer shocks ?

New longer SS brake lines...

Truxus are the tires I am looking at :D

R

Root Moose

Now since I am putting new perches on do I really need a SYE ? Is it becuase the shaft will not be long enough or to correct the pinion angle ?

You'll need a SYE for two reasons (mostly):

1.) the new angle of the propellor shaft will cause vibrations

2.) If you flex the Jeep the propellor shaft may (read: will) pull out of the transfer case leaving you with a little bit of trail side fun to deal with.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Sounds like a great find, I thought rust free YJs were non-existant around here.

SOA is about 5.5" lift, so do get a drop pitman arm. Get longer shocks, that way they won't limit flex.

Not needed right away but a rear axle ladder bar is also a great investment, without it your rear springs will wear out quickly and if you off-road axle wrap will be a problem.

Depending on the tires and gearing you end up with your speedo will be off so you may need a speedo gear for your t-case if you don't want to always need to calculate your real speed.

Enjoy the new truck. :beer:

O

OzPlanet

5.5 that is a big lift for 33" tires. Don't get me wrong I like lifted but won't it look like a 10" lift and a 20" tire ?

I want it to look good.

If I was changin gears I would go right to 35-38" tires right away.

R

Root Moose

I bought my YJ with 33" tires, a 4" spring lift and TJ flares (tub cut to accept - gives ~1"-1.5" more clearance). It seems ok but given the blown engine I've never driven it to see if it rubs anywhere. :)

It doesn't look "bubbly gummy" at all. It's a good look IMO.

That said, it'll be getting long arms once I turn my attention to it.

Last edited:
O

OzPlanet

I bought my YJ with 33" tires, a 4" spring lift and TJ flares (tub cut to accept - gives ~1"-1.5" more clearance). It seems ok but given the blown engine I've never driven it to see if it rubs anywhere. :)

It doesn't look "bubbly gummy" at all. It's a good look IMO.

That said, it'll be getting long arms once I turn my attention to it.

I am really looking at a lift kit instead of just a SOA. New springs/bushings brackets shackles and shocks.

The guess work has been figured out. Plus, the summer is almost over, don't know how many weekends I will have to work on the Jeep. I needs to get all the bugs worked out before winter so I have a reliable ride for the bitter cold.

Then next year I'll look into spring conversion and a full link suspension. This way I can apply it to both my Jeep and the Ram.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
It's your money man, but lift springs ride like shit compared to a SOA set up, not that a SOA rides all that great, but it's still better.
You get a lot more flex out of a SOA as well. I guess there just isn't as many people building YJ's anymore to give you the advice you seek, with TJ's being so prevalent these days.
You were worried about wheel room, here's the only profile picture I have of mine on 33 x 12.5's, have a few others of it on 33 x 9.5's too: