Buying a YJ

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
You got any pics of it cleaned up? Get rid of the carb and swap in that SBC :D

It common for the old jeeps to get the shakes, heck and heep. Balance the tires and start with that.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
I have been driving the jeep now for a couple weeks.

Big issue is the pinging on acceleration, hard to maintain 100km\h.

The choke does not work at all so starting in the morning is a chore, then when it does start it will not stay running. Need to read up on carburators again it has been a long time since I have had my hands on a carb :)
Welcome to the real world brother.
Those old emision friendly "computer controled" carburators are nothing but PITA - BTDT.
Swap to Weber carb is what I would do (if I am ever so rich to buy a ****).

O

OzPlanet

I just want to keep the think going for the winter not put a cent into it.

Then come summer next year I'll look for a 4x4 ram for driveline and axles. I already have ideas of lengthening the frame extending the front end. Doing a coil conversion and put the front axle way out front. This way the v8 will be sitting farther back better center of gravity.

I have always wanted to fab up my own 4-link long arm suspension.

O

OzPlanet

I know the shake is the wheel bearings. It is less of a shake and more of a grinding like I am running on gears instead of tires. I'll take some picture tomorrow and get them posted ;)

O

OzPlanet

At least replace the bearings!! If they seise up , your in for a wold of hurt if it pulls you into a ditch, or worse. Keep it safe. or you may not make it through winter.

:confused:

Already have the bearings just needed the space to do the work. Finally got my truck out of the driveway. The driveshaft snapped on me and took out the tranny. So I just swapped in a used one.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Could the shaking be death wobble? Basically at 45mph the whole front will start shaking violently.
If so, it is usually attributed to loose trackbar but as said work your way up to that. May just be the tires.
I have been driving the jeep now for a couple weeks.

Big issue is the pinging on acceleration, hard to maintain 100km\h.

Got new hubs bearings for the front. The entire jeep shakes above 70km.

The choke does not work at all so starting in the morning is a chore, then when it does start it will not stay running. Need to read up on carburators again it has been a long time since I have had my hands on a carb :)

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Could the shaking be death wobble? Basically at 45mph the whole front will start shaking violently.
If so, it is usually attributed to loose trackbar but as said work your way up to that. May just be the tires.

It's a YJ, it doesn't have a track bar. YJ's don't have the common quirks that TJ's do, they have their own set of quirks. I owned one, drove it in to the ground (had a fun time doing it) and got smart and bought a 'Yota.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
It looks very pretty (went and showed it some love yesterday), just wish I could drive it!

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
You sure about this? The few I've looked under have them. Both front and rear.
Not that they need them but the factory installs them. Perhaps some years did and some didn't?

I know some years did have them. Not sure about all of them though.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I assume when he said trackpar, he did mean panhard, right? Anywho, did not know that the factory installed them. Mine didn't have one after SOA, it did have a trackbar though, had terrible wheel hop without it.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
AFAIK all YJs came with front and rear track bars. I played with them installed and removed and what I found was the rear is not noticeable but the front helps reduce steering slop on the road. I also tested with and without on a RTI ramp and there was little difference in articulation.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I assume when he said trackpar, he did mean panhard, right? Anywho, did not know that the factory installed them. Mine didn't have one after SOA, it did have a trackbar though, had terrible wheel hop without it.

Trac bar and panhard are the same thing. You're thinking of an anti-wrap bar.

O

OzPlanet

Picked up a set of Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 30x9.5r15 they will be installed tomorrow at Bruno's along with 1.5" spacers for some extra turning clearance. I will be sure to take some pictures of the new tires.

O

OzPlanet

I didn't go super crazy on the width knowing how old the Jeep is and how week the axles are. The size is 30x9.50r15 they did not have the correct nuts to install the 1.5" spacers, I will take some picture when they get put on. The spacers should make a difference in the look of the Jeep.

I am also getting some TJ flares they are much bigger than the YJ ones. It should look good.

I couldn't help but take it off road into the mud. I found a hydro road in the new Minto development in Kanata behind the houses. They did well, went up a steep muddy grade with no problems at all.

I sure hope OVO has a bunch of mud trails. I am not much into rocks, I love to watch the fast paced mud racing.