Buying a YJ

O

OzPlanet

I just thinking if the jeep has 212,000km the springs must be worn along with the bushings and pretty well everything else.

Then the cost of a SYE at around $3-400. Then a new CV drive shaft cause most SYE call for a new drive shaft.

Can I just get away with a transfer case drop to make up for the SYE. I know the lift kit that is all they do. I know when I flipped my axle on my ram from SOA to SUA I just moved the axle back 1/2 inch to make up for the difference in travel or else I would have had to get a shorter drive shaft.

Do they do that with a SOA move the axle 1/2 back to help with the drive shaft.

Also then I was reading about if I don't change to SYE and a CV the pinion angle will be off too much and since the axle is solid changing the angle will change castor.

O

OzPlanet

Ya I am fully into suspension right now. The suspension in my ram is completly new, front to back every nut bolt spring...

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
We never said SOA was cheap or easy, just better, especially for a daily driver. But if you're only going to 2.5" lift springs and choose a good kit (do your research) the ride won't suffer that much.

And to add to the SOA thread here's a pic of mine on SOA, no BL, and 33s:

It does help when you have true 33" tires, many out there measure less than what's printed on the sidewall.

You can find more pics here:
http://ovo.ca/delormer/tellico2001/tellico2001.htm

O

OzPlanet

What fender flares do you have on there ?

I do like the look of the jeep, I think 33" are just right. After seeing that picture I guess I'll bite the bullet. SOA here we come.

I think I should actually get the Jeep first :D I get it tomorrow...I am so excited. I will for sure post pictures when it gets home.

R

Root Moose

I do like the look of the jeep, I think 33" are just right. After seeing that picture I guess I'll bite the bullet. SOA here we come.

SOA is definitely the way to go if you are keeping leaves on the Jeep.

O

OzPlanet

Well, all went well. I now the proud owner of a 87 Jeep YJ :D

No holes in the frame very solid frame. Looks very good there is still paint on the frame.

The only body rust is the center body mount on the passenger side. The box of the body mount is rusted on one side a small hole about 2" in diameter.

The Jeep was rust protected so there is a crap load of grease mud on the underside. I spent an hour with the pressure washer cleaning the engine bay and the frame off. The fuel lines and brake lines were shiny after cleaning so I think I don't even have to replace a line.

The rad is shot. Once I started washing it the fins fell apart.

The Jeep had a hard time maintaining 100km/h max I got out of it was 120 down hill then the shaking started, tires.

Is this normal not to be able to maintain highway ? Or is the engine is big trouble.

The carb is in need of a replacement. Everything is loose. Won't start unless you pump the gas.

Brand new exhaust put on yesterday. Front to back except the tail pipe.

Softtop is garbage as expected :)

I can only shift into 2H and 4H will not move into Neutral. He said it is just seized becuase it hasn't been moved in years. I assume that is common.

The floors are spotless not even surfase rust. Still has the black carpet. The carpet is in mint shape. No winter driving so no salt stains.

The drivers seat is busted the back is broken in half. I guess someone pulled on it too hard and broke the bracing in the seat. The rest of the seats look like there were never even sat on.

The only guage that doesn't work is the oil pressure it goes off the scale when running.

I filled up the gas tank and no leaks :D

The clutch release near the bottom, no slipping at all.

The starter make one hell of a racket when starting. New starter or does it just need adjustment ?

The steering has play. Doesn't seem like tie rods probably the steering box or a joint cause the jeep tracks straight no wandering what so ever.

I drove all the way from Cornwall top down my head is BURNT.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Welcome to ovo! Got any pics of the new buy?

First thing i would be doing is taking out that carpet. Jeep floors love to rot from the inside out.

As for your highway speed. It depends on what size of tires are on it. If they are around a 31" than yes thats normal. Besides, it's a heep. No need to go fast.

:beer:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
As for the TrXus tires. They are awsome! Amazing in the winter. The only problem is they wear really fast. Expect to only get a year and a half to years max out of them if it your DD.

O.D.

Club Member
That's a nice find. Looks pretty solid from the pics.

You should swap tubs with RootMoose, considering you are going to drive it in the winter :beer::beer: Chris, this would be a perfect swap :)

And BTW, that's not undercoating.... It's just various components leaking :)

I love the YJ's. + with it being an '87, what a great year for a SBC swap :smokin:

Here are the pictures...

O

OzPlanet

I love the YJ's. + with it being an '87, what a great year for a SBC swap :smokin:

That is exactly what I was thinking V8. The straight 6 is tired.

I need to start collecting parts, this is going to be fun :D

R

Root Moose

Yep, that's what I'm going to be doing too (SBC).

My big debate is whether to run the Gen I SBC I have lying around or put a modern GenIII/IV in. The modern SBCs are so much better... but would it really make a difference in a YJ? Who knows, by the time I get around to it maybe I'll just do a "modern" ChryCo 4.0 (MY97+). I like the idea of being able to work on all of my Jeeps from the same FSM. :)

Wanna buy a pickup (MY90) with a fresh 305 to go into your YJ? I'll make you a great deal. LOL

R

Root Moose

You should swap tubs with RootMoose, considering you are going to drive it in the winter :beer::beer: Chris, this would be a perfect swap :)

It would, it would.

I think when I start focusing on the YJ I'll run the tub as it is. It is sealed to the outside, but is far from perfect. Get all the other stuff sorted first.

The other plan I was thinking...

I have a good frame to start with - will do the engine and suspension build up on that chassis and swap the tub (RE: VIN) with what I've been building at the end. Since I dislike bodywork so much I may take the rough tub somewhere to get done. Still on the fence whether it will be worth it.

We'll see. I've ben shooting down some of the balls I have up in the air (not moving, XJ done) so I may even get to this over the winter. Maybe.

R

Root Moose

LOL Too many!

Just finishing up the XJ. Should be drivable by tomorrow evening (fingers crossed).

Need to spend some quality time with my S2000. I'm about as fast as I can be on the track with a stock car. I desperately need a new soft top as well.

I bought the YJ on a whim. I'd like to get to it this winter so that the parts truck for the drivetrain can disappear from the property.

I've got Richard's 2 door XJ coming to me. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Now I need an MJ to fall into my lap too. ;)

Oh and there is Karin's daily driver Civic, and my daily driver Civic Si (Karin's track whip).

Mobil Oil and Sunoco both love me. :)

Last edited:
O

OzPlanet

Well, lets see here...

Stripped the interior scruffed and painted the floors fixed 1 hole. Then gave it a coat of bed liner.

Took the pressure washer to the under body took off tons of grime. Scrapped the frame down to rust and gave everything a nice coat of black tremclad sprayed with a sprayer reduced 1/3. The under is nice and clean and black. I can touch alomst everything and not get dirty hands :) I like that.

Took apart the shifter for the transfer case. Cleaned it up and gave it a coat of black. Put it back together with some antiseize. Shifts great now.

Picked up a hard top thanks to Danny. Got some full size doors from Eganville $100. Everything fit perfectly.

I ordered a new transmission mount and Radiator from Capps.

I have an appointment for Monday to get a safety at Brunos Performance. All that I have left is install the new parts. Free up my heater cables so they are functional.

O

OzPlanet

I have been driving the jeep now for a couple weeks.

Big issue is the pinging on acceleration, hard to maintain 100km\h.

Got new hubs bearings for the front. The entire jeep shakes above 70km.

The choke does not work at all so starting in the morning is a chore, then when it does start it will not stay running. Need to read up on carburators again it has been a long time since I have had my hands on a carb :)