Family runner

98AT

I wanted to go with OME 890 coils and Bilstein Shocks but nobody local has access to OME that I could find, I didn't have time to go to the states and my suspension really needed replacing ASAP.

I decided to go with HD Moog Coils and Bilstein Shocks and I'm really happy with the ride. Lifted the truck up about 1" front and 1.25" rear, nice and stiff but not to harsh. I tow a trailer fairly often so I wanted something stiffer out back and these coils are perfect, the Bilstein Shocks are fantastic also but not cheap!

Also installed poly sway bar bushings and end link bushings, what a difference in overall ride now . Handling and overall response is greatly improved.

Last edited:

junkpile

I sold my last pair of mini truck axles the other day, I was happy that someone was going to use them, but a little regretful because I had planned to use the front axle spindles and hubs to do a FROR rear full floater/disc brake upgrade on the Family Runner. Then I remember my old wheeling buddy had an 83' and I was pretty sure it was still on his family farm somewhere, a few phone calls later I'm the proud owner of a rotten moldy old pickup! (With the hubs and spindles I need)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
14/01/24/ahutaguq.jpg

Dragged her from her grave site and headed for home!

Last edited:

junkpile

I was lucky that all four tires were still beaded, I was able to brake it free from the ice with a mere 50psi forced into each tire!! Boom, pop, boom, bam!! It popped up out of the frozen ground. Unfortunately the rear pinion bearings are piled up so badly I had to literally drag it the 1000 feet out of the bush, through the field, and onto the trailer.

junkpile

I spent a few evening hours on it this week and got the 20r running again! Unbelievable after sitting for the better part of a decade!

Last edited:

ToyTaco

Round head lights + 20r = 79-80 hilux. you have to watch the interchange with the tcase, it only fits the L43 4spd. the splines look like marlin's total spline system but are raised and will not fully seat on any other tranny ... trust me I found out the hard way, I used an 80 tcase to build the crawlbox damn thing would't seat on my w56. I had it machined to fit.

junkpile

Good to know sir! My brother has the 83'. I'll check the vin on the white one. We're thinking of sticking this 20R in his while he rebuilds his 22R. I've read there may be a few minor wiring discrepancies and I'll have to make an adapter for the 22R carb to fit. Anything else you know of that could be an issue?

junkpile

Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to keep it simple. The fj axle would need to be regeared, it doesn't have a selectable locker and I'm not keen on the angled driveline for a daily driver. The tank is on the passenger side though.

There are a few companies out there that sell weld on adapter brackets for approx $200 what I like about the $700 fror kit is it comes with bolt on adapters and forged alloy axle shafts and hardware and rotors and brake lines and seals. The shipping I'm guessing won't be cheap though

Last edited:

junkpile

FINALLY got a weekend with the boys together to run some trail up Haliburton way. We had an awesome time on some fairly challenging trail. We completed approx 5kms stretch of deep mud-rocky hill climb-rocky hill descent-deep mud-repeat, in 7hrs!! All rigs survived without damage, but some noises were experienced that may require further inspection :) Did I mention it was a great time?!