Family runner

junkpile

The gas tank on this thing has proven to be a bit of a liability as it hangs below the frame rail and is protected by a fairly light weight (and mine was rotten) skid. After a bit of searching I learned that the rear aux tank from a 90's era Ford pickup would fit out back behind the axle. So I cut out the spare tire carrier and plated the inner rails,

Grafted the pump and level units to the stock Ford sending unit,

Made up some overly heavy (1.5x0.25) tank straps and stuffed the new tank in place,

I had to reroute the exhaust, and the filler tube.

junkpile

Still have some work to do on the filler tube, need to incorporate a vent tube. It burps at you if you fill too quickly. Otherwise I've put two tanks of fuel through it successfully. Now I need to build a skid plate.

The COG has changed but it doesn't feel that much different. Overall very happy.

junkpile

sweet! Clean job on an annoying issue with these trucks!

Thanks buddy, it took me a while to finally get it all done but went pretty smoothly. I think I might modify the two cross members and get very close to a flat belly. Essentially gaining 3"-4" of break over clearance....Maybe

ToyTaco

Gas tank looks good back there. What year and model of a tank is it from? I'm planning another build similar to this.

junkpile

What is the little vertical wing in the bumper support visible behind the tire? Just for extra rigidity?[/QUOTE]

Those were where my giant mud flaps used to hang.

junkpile

Well with another winter tire season knocking on our door I felt it time to give the old KM2's a rest. I picked up some tire machines this fall so I figured I'd put them to work installing a new set of Arctic Claws in the LT235/85R16 variety. They have a nice deep well sipped tread and I've had good performance with previous sets on my (now retired) 2WD 1/2ton. They'd be an ideal fit on a 6" wide rim but mounted easily on my 7"s. Suuuuuuper Skinnnny! The 4cyl has a bit more pep available now spinning these shorter pizza cutters too [emoji39]

junkpile

The Family runner rolled 418500kms yesterday on our way home from Parc Omega (eldest sons 4th b-day) I think that signals 100,000kms of faithful, reliable service for our fam. It'll be 4yrs in late February or early March. No signs of slowing down either. Now if only someone would treat her to a bit of body work, show her the respect she deserves ;)
Cheers!

98AT

Another 4runner with 400k+! They are hard to beat, that's for sure. I have basically the identical runner as yours (4cyl/5spd) and I'm at 462k, hands down the most reliable vehicle I will probably ever own.

Function > Form

Club Member
wow guys 400k+ is nutty!!! I'm at 220k in the liberty and hoping to go another 100-150 but it's hit and miss - some toast out before that *crossing fingers*

SpidermanGeek

My 97 limited (v6) is sitting at 290k. Doesn't even burn oil. The drivetrain will definitely outlive the body/frame. I gotta get around to fixing my e-locker though.