PJF PARCK 26-27 september

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
FYI a few people asked on price (including me), I saw on the PJF site today that he posts the fees as:

Entrance prices:
Truck + driver: 1 day $30**
2 day $50**
Spectators: $5 per day**

**Please note entry fees are to be paid in cash only

not certain if they updated or not but make sure to have some cashola with ya.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Hey just so you know Dirk and I are going to go ahead so that I am there before everybody in case I have problems with the hill and I don't keep everybody out on the highway. So do not look for us at the truck stop.

Dwayne
:beer:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Uploaded my Pics:

http://ovo.ca/gallery2/v/TrailRides/PJF2009/

Video to come ;)

Was a great weekend, with all the trucks in our group suffering some kind of breakage.

Justin - Rear Axle Shaft
Mike - Front T-Case
Dirk - Leaf Spring Bolt
Dwayne - Rear Window and I think his front locker finally.
Andy - Birfield and front locker
Tim - Cracked T-Case again.

Dirk and Tim where able to fix their stuff and wheel the second day, Andy replaced the Birf but then found out the locker was screwed. Dwayne was able to go both days. :glasses:

Baja

It was a great weekend. Defiantly got my eyes opened lol
Thanks Guys for letting me tag along.

Buster

Club Member
Yes it was a blast! Had a great time as always. Adrian, I wait with anticipation of the axle breaking vid. Can you hear the bang???:D

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
I had a great time as well, Was overall a great weekend.

thanks very much for the truc ktery (although I am running out of cases for you :( It is much better mounted this time, no more rubber bushing, now aluminum mount thanks to Justin whom had some with him, just some modding to make it all work, and lasted rest of weekend!

Also special thanks to Justin for letting me sleep int he pimp slide in ;) made my life much easier, and nice and toasty warm Sat with that heater ;) Thank again

I am looking forward to going back.. and I definitely want to see that video's!

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Adrian: I don't see any picks of th truck?

My Tranny case is cracked around the coolant ports due to me using teflon tape on the threads of the fittings, duh.. Pierre came out Thurs night and we tried to weld the cracks but with no luck. Tranny is coming out and Pierre is going to swap the case...

:(:(

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Uploaded my Pics:

http://ovo.ca/gallery2/v/TrailRides/PJF2009/

Video to come ;)

Was a great weekend, with all the trucks in our group suffering some kind of breakage.

Justin - Rear Axle Shaft
Mike - Front T-Case
Dirk - Leaf Spring Bolt
Dwayne - Rear Window and I think his front locker finally.
Andy - Birfield and front locker
Tim - Cracked T-Case again.

Dirk and Tim where able to fix their stuff and wheel the second day, Andy replaced the Birf but then found out the locker was screwed. Dwayne was able to go both days. :glasses:

Good on ya Tim!!

D

Dirk

Fantastic weekend at PJF, can't wait for next year to go back, with a little more comfortable accomodations.
Only had the broken spring locating bolt and a crushed passenger door & b-pillar. :)
Noticed how oddly my tires reacted to changes in ambient temperature....:banghead:....but was very happy to finally be able to use my winches. :smokin:

Good pics Adrian, might use the frontal shot over the large rocks as my new avatar. Lets see the video.

Also, the cliff seems quite easy with a properly equipped rig. :lmao:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
What an awesome weekend! That place definitely really opens your eyes. Thanks for the ride Dirk. Great pics Adrian. Can't wait to see the vids. There was 62 trucks in total on saturday so it was an awesome turn out. Some really cool ones. Can't wait till next year!

:beer::beer:

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
Video's never do it justice.. You have to be there to really appreciate it :)

nice job tough Adrian, helps with the memories :beer

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
My Tranny case is cracked around the coolant ports due to me using teflon tape on the threads of the fittings, duh.. Pierre came out Thurs night and we tried to weld the cracks but with no luck. Tranny is coming out and Pierre is going to swap the case...

:(:(

It's not the teflon tape that's to blame - it's overtightening or using an NPT fitting where an NPS is called for.

NPT disadvantages:

Supplemental sealant required for NPT.
Some risk of sealant contaminating fluid system for NPT.
Tapered threads act as mechanical jack and can crack cast housings when over-tightened.
Difficult to establish accurate torque ratings due to tapered threads.
No swivel-action on assembly.
Shaped fittings such as elbows and Tees can be difficult to tighten so that they are both correctly oriented and tightened sufficiently to seal.
Poor disassembly / reassembly performance due to inerrant thread damage.
Any side-load on fitting will cause leaks.
Can be easily cross-threaded on assembly without realizing it as user assumes tightness is due to tapered thread instead of correctly identifying a cross-threaded condition.
Few options available as hose-ends from high performance aftermarket.

quoted from:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Plumbing/

(I don't write this just to hear myself type ya know! :flipoff:)

Good luck with the fix.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Yea, they probably say that because the lubricity of the teflon will mask the overtorquing.

Trust me on this, it is the tapered thread that does the cracking as it acts exactly like a screw-jack. It's not as if aluminum has some wierd chemical reaction with teflon that causes cracking. They also don;t say anything about what method fo sealing should be used - because just saying "don;t use teflon tape" is all well and good, but if it IS an NPT fitting, not using any suplemental sealant WILL cause it to leak.

The other reason they may be saying that is, perhaps all TCI cases come with NPSM or ORFS ports which people mistake for NOT and then add tape where it isn't needed and maybe of thay add a few feet to the fitting it increases the thread OD enough to be a problem - but I find this highly unlikely as you'd notice that on assembly.

What are the fittings on your case? My TH400 is NPSM, which is rare as hell (most don't know this, only one co. on Summit sells the correct (expensive) fittings, and most people just jam NPT in there and it works ok)

That's why I hate "tech" like that which is just statements with no real theory or tech attached - it doesn't allow you to figure out exactly what is going on.

But do what you want.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
But do what you want.

What do you reccomend Oh Wise One? :D

Off the top of my head:
Re tap the holes for a better thread style?
Use an NPT to AN adapter then you atleas can have a swivel fitting?
Loosely fit a NPT adapter and seal it with JB Weld that it can be "glued" in place rather than torqued?
?????