PROJECT - 86'd CJ

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
How do you widen the front? Is that the IFS hub kit I heard someone mention on another thread?

There are a couple different ways, normal wheel spacers, IFS hubs with caliper moved to outside of mounting location (Trial Only Mod as far as I am concerned) or the proper way with the sky manufacturing widening kit, which still uses IFS hubs but the spacer spaced the caliper back to the original location, you use FJ40 rotors (vented) and IFS calipers.

szabotage

I"ve used POr before with good results, although it didn't stop the rust, it did slow it down and was a very durable finish once baked.I"m sure if you remove the rust completely once sealed, will inhibit any rust.

sprayed nice too. never sagged and I shot it pretty thick. I'd use it for underbody, floors, and rockers over higher name non hi build primers or sealers. I've worked with dupont, sikkens, PPG and ICI finishing systems over the course of 9 odd years and agree this is a comparable product to the hi end paints.

Mini-T

Sasquatch
UPDATE!!!!

Test fit the body today. Looks like I'll have 17" of ground clearance at the t-case. My rear wheel wells seem to have a lot of space, about 10". I'm not too sure what to do about it because it looks like too much.

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Looks to me like the inside of your rear tires will rub on the tub during up travel...

What backspacing are your rims?

Mini-T

Sasquatch
I don't think the pic shows the right perspective. I'm not sure on the backspacing. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Mini-T

Sasquatch
My wheels are 3 3/4" backspacing. Here is a pic from the back looking into the wheel well with as much flex as I could get with my small jack under the opposite front leaf spring. You can see that the inside of the wheel well is sitting in a bit from the frame. Oh and the cream coloured bar is a temporary crossmember.

Here is a shot showing how much/little it was flexed for the previous pic.

I set the grill and hood on to see where the front fenders will be sitting. I guess with tube fenders it will have about the same amount of space front and rear in the wheel wells.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I think the ride height looks fine the way it is. Wouldn't worry about it being 10" at the wheel. You need to have enough room for full flex without hitting.

R

Root Moose

What Jon said. Don't change anything until you are sitting at full fighting weight and have flexed out teh springs a bunch. The springs will "relax" after a few weeks driving.

Mini-T

Sasquatch
As far as I know these springs are least 8 years old. I think they have relaxed and are close to retirement.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I have 7" in the rear to the fender flare ... I rub at full stuff. I wouldn't worry about it until later either (if it's worth worrying about?).

D

dunny

So far I'm planning to use POR15's Metal Ready in the prep for paint. It etches and leaves a zinc phosphate coating that promotes adhesion.

Tremclad covers everything I want in my exterior finish. Flat finish, easy to touch up, readily available, and decently tough.

The jury is out for me on POR, ive spent a ton on it on my rebuild and its peeling off my trany, frame is still okay, but it hasnt been run yet. AND YES, i did allll the prep.

Im now just using armour coat from CT, slappin it on.

I spent a couple of weekends doing my MDJuan tub... i sanded it all down and used the duplicolour spray in with an undercoating gun (duplicolour bedliner btw is overprice here btw, hit walmart in Ogdensburg if youre over at the UPS store, its over $20 a gallon or whatever the big can is)

D

dunny

Man, after looking at the rest of the thread, its looking really sweet, cant wait to see more pics as it progresses

Mini-T

Sasquatch
UPDATE!!!

Frame access plug tacked in place (I finished welding it after the photo). Its a JIC nut and plug.

Rear U-bolt skid plates welded up and ready for paint.

Frame reinforcing almost done.

Locating the body mount.

Body mount replaced.

Mini-T

Sasquatch
Nice X-member. Got pics of how you bolt to the 'case?

The bottom plate is 1/4" and those are flat head cap screws. I still need to put a gusset on each side of the tranny that runs to the tube (didn't have the right size stock laying around).

Good progress.....ready for spring fever?

I hope so. The list of things to buy/make is getting shorter, unlike the beard. LOL

Takin advantage of the warm weather eh!!

Yeah, cold tools suck.