Build Project Avalanche

BlueAngel

I was waiting for the thread :)

Glad to hear the border crossing went well... Time to buy a 3/4" socket set :) 1 5/16" lug nuts :p

Congrats and I can't wait to wheel with the new beast!

Steve, I hope you don't feel undersized :eek:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
A couple of comparison picks against the Jeep. It's big, but it's not as f*#k off huge as I thought it was going to be from the seller's add. The biggest thing is the length. Gawd it's long.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I gotta say that pic doesn't do it justice on how big it is compared to seeing it from the road. It makes your 36's look like wagon wheels. I love it though! Can't wait to see you eat up the rocks.

G

Grumpy

Steve, I hope you don't feel undersized :eek:

Nah, I'll still follow you guys wherever I can, you know that much!! I guess this means there's not too many places Brad WON'T go now eh?? How about that puddle that swallowed the Jeep at RC...what's it called....Froggy hole or something??? LOL

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Nah, I'll still follow you guys wherever I can, you know that much!! I guess this means there's not too many places Brad WON'T go now eh?? How about that puddle that swallowed the Jeep at RC...what's it called....Froggy hole or something??? LOL

Hmm, maybe. We will see how much time I have to do work on it before. I wouldn't want to ruin the wood floor going through that water hole :banghead:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
As Steve mentioned earlier, it appeared that I had cut the sides off my trailer. Indeed I had. The trailer deck is 80" and the buggy is 90" wide, so the sides had to go. We built out the deck with 1" square tubing, added support where the tire would sit, gussets where the tire sits, two new D-rings in the rear, two new D-rings in the front, and a new spare tire mount(s). Just needs paint, a second spare tire, a second set of axle brakes, and maybe a ring welded to the spare tire mountfor locking up the spare. And a relocated license plate mount. Still not sure where to put that (currently zip tied to the back rail).

Props to Mike for the time, skills, and spare tire mount idea.

Before, during, and after pics...

G

Grumpy

I'm thinkin those railway ties are not a permanent addition to that once purdy trailer...

D

DasZuk

Nice looking buggy !
As somebody who did get turned around once at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls... because he was too muddy...

It's not fun - The Canadian border guards were working to rule at the time, and looking for ways to antagonize the Canadian public.
Had to go back and wash off the "bad" American mud before we could come home, but the few minutes we were in no-mans land was enough to undo the weekend "Duty Free" exemption... and we were treated as if we had only been in the states long enough to find a carwash and get all squeaky clean...

I'll make sure I'm clean next time.

:banghead:

Cochise

A couple of comparison picks against the Jeep. It's big, but it's not as f*#k off huge as I thought it was going to be from the seller's add. The biggest thing is the length. Gawd it's long.

Very, very nice!

Your TJ already made my Xj look like, uh, a station wagon. That buggy is a monster. Congrats!

:beer:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I had some starting issues shortly after I got this thing home. I've been poking at it here and there, suspecting fuel delivery as the problem, but recognizing that it could be electrical. The wiring on this buggy leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks to the help of Adrian, Mike L, and my buddy Mike, we finally got it resolved last weekend.

Using a pressure tester at the fuel rail, Adrian and I first discovered that the fuel pump was priming to 55psi, but then immediately dropping to 0psi. While cranking, it would only be at ~30psi. Fuel pump could definitely have been a problem... over the weeks following that, every time I tried to turn the engine over (after fixing some electrical), the fuel pressure seemed to be getting less and less, pointing more towards the fuel pump as the problem.

Ultimately, we discovered the real problem was water in the fuel cell. A lot of water. ~4 quarts of water.

Note the separation. That's water on the bottom, gas on the top.

After draining all the water from the fuel cell, we purged the fuel line from the tank to the fuel rail. We then pulled the spark plugs and cranked the engine over until we were certain there was nothing but gasoline coming out of that fuel line. The engine fired right up after doing that, although it was still weak pressure at the fuel rail. We tested Mike I.'s fuel pump in place of mine and there was a noticeable difference, so I ordered a new fuel pump.

Airtex e8248
Pressure: 110-120 PSI
Flow: 60-70 GPH

Supposedly the Vortec 8100 is a bit picky about fuel pressure / flow and this is the fuel pump everyone seems to recommend. I installed it yesterday and it's running much better.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Groovin'

Busted out the tire groover today and went to town on the boggers. Took a little more than an hour to groove ... like buttah!

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I got some of the wiring sorted out last weekend.
Switch 1. Lights
Switch 2. Lights
Switch 3. Lights
Switch 4. Lights

:p

Awwww ya. Dig that red light. Party at Brad's buggy!