Build Project Avalanche

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
That's fast, most guys I've heard spend an hour each tire.
Must be something about your reach advantage -- either that or this is just the first pass, easier to cut more than less.

G

Grumpy

Brad, I'm guessing your effort spent on grooving the tires is for superior on-road wet weather traction.....right??? LOL

bradleyfitz

Club Member
New roofline ... the existing bars were right above my head, with only 1" head clearance.

Tarquinn

Great post on info about importing a buggy. I thought about it before but assumed it would be to hard and or too expensive.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Winsor didn't care for my railroad tie ramps, so I changed it up a little and put the tie's back in the garden :)

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Just before our trip to RC, I removed the wal-mart battery that was ratchet strapped to the battery tray (that was too small for the battery). I went with a new battery box from Ballistic and the Optima Blue Top.

Since I'm not at spring fever, I decided I would take some time to rectify some of the problems that is causing me not to be there...
The buggy is only running on 4.5 cylinders. Three are not firing at all, and one is weak. I picked up a new fuel rail, new injectors, and new wiring harness off of ebay. Great deal. The fuel rail turned out to be of no use because it didn't match up, but everything else was good. It sounds so good now. Throttle response is awesome. I can't wait to get back out on the trails.

The new fuel rail and parts:

Old injector that wasn't firing (I wonder why!!!) on the left. New one on the right.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
For those that haven't heard, I had a massive tranny leak in Rausch Creek in the spring. A couple of weekends ago I finally found some free time to start looking at the buggy again. The tranny looks fine and so does the TC. The adapter plate from the Ford np205 to the th400 had begun to separate a bit, causing the leak. I found one sheared bolt, one fallen out bolt, and several loose bolts. I was planning on twin sticking the np205, and one thing led to another...

- TC is out
- Bucket seats are out
- Harnesses are out
- tranny / tc cover is out
- wood floor is out (good riddance!)

Things discovered along the way:
1) The front seats have two subframe bars. The rear one was only half welded to the chassis. The front one was not welded at all :banghead: (just floating there, only being held in place because it was attached to the seat)
2) The 5th 'seat' was not bolted to the floor or the frame, just held in place by the lap harness.
3) The exhaust on the driver side is not welded together, just fit together.

I'm sure I will discover more as I delve further into the buggy.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Nice to strip it back and get it done right.
Well if you decide to up it with 3/4" hardwood flooring, I officially finished using my floor nailer today (after 7 months). :D

bradleyfitz

Club Member
With the TC out, modifying the shift rails to twin stick the 205 was pretty simple. I pulled the rear shift rail and lengthened the two sections.

I just need a new shifter mount and I will be able to install the new shift levers.

I also de-skinned the buggy. I wasn't a big fan of the tin, I had cut myself on it several times, and I figured it would make the seat / floor installation easier.

D

Dannyboy33

If you go Aluminum Ed Savage has a bunch of it sheet actually of the thinner stuff, I bought some 1/4" thick stuff for skid plates on the Rhino it was 2.50 a pound. Cost me 35 bucks for what I needed.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Well, after I installed the TC, I found out one of the lower bolt holes on the transmission was stripped. This makes sense, since this is where the TC separated from the tranny. So out it came again and I helicoiled all of the bolt holes.

That's one less thing to worry about, hopefully. The TC is bolted up once again, hopefully for the last time!