PROJECT!!! Buggy Build

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I finally got another truck and can get back to wheeling. This is essentially a resurection of my old truck with a mint frame and extra-cab. The goal of this build is to have a solid, dependable truck that I can beat the snot out of without too much worry. There is also a very definiate attempt to do this for as little out of pocket expense as possible. I will be selling/trading existing stuff as much as possible to fund this project. To date, including cash received for birthday &...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Started removing stuff this weekend: Sway bar, torque arm, mud flaps, remainder of brush guard, expanded mesh from in front of bottom of rad, front bumper.

I cheated on removing the swaybar and torque arm, I simply cut off what I could get to with a grinder/sawzall. I'll get around to removing the remainder later but atleast for now axle movement will be much improved....

Fabed up a winch mount from stuff I had lying around. I'll make some sort of a tube bumper to finish it off. Also contemplating making a grill out of 3/4 square rather than choping up the original one for winch clearance.

Picked up the 38s, bed, hi-steer and 4.7s this past weekend. Hopefully sometime this week I'll get the Hi-steer installed. Next weekend the rims and beadlocks arrive. Once I have them welded up, I'll install the tires and can clearance the firewall and start modifying the bed.

More pics:

D

Dirk

Clean looking body and frame.....

what gears in the axles?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Clean looking body and frame.....

what gears in the axles?

The frame is MINT like the day it came off the assembly line -- or better. It was sandblasted, POR-15 (or something similar) inside and out then painted. No rust holes for me. :flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:

For now gears are stock 4.10s. I'll be upgrading to 5.29s when I've also saved up enough for Longfields and a spool. With 4.7s in the T-case I should be fine.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
So I planned on doing a bunch of work on the truck today but :banghead::banghead::banghead: nothing went right.

I had planned on installing the hi-steer and preping the box for remount but I got neither done. After an hour of searching for the gas line for my mig (found it finally) then another hour looking for the 10lb spool adapter for the welder (did not find it), time ran out. I did manage to get one pipe bent for the front bumper and finished buring in the winch mount to atleast convince myself that SOMETHING got done.

Tomorrow morning I'll pick up a new adapter and head for the shop. Hopefully I'll get accomplished what I set out to do today.

Pics to come tomorrow.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I hate days like that...any reason for the exo cage rather than interior?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I hate days like that...any reason for the exo cage rather than interior?

Why not? A lot of Toys seem to have them. Also, if I happen to flop again or beat it off the trees or rocks, the hope is that the doors may still work and not break the glass. :smokin:

Besides, I like to be different.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I'm actually a fan of the exo cages but they don't seem to be all that common. Can't wait to see some pics of the cage...maybe it'll give me some motivation.

D

Dirk

Planning on Exocage myself....
Battle scars from rocks and trees are cool...but then fixing sheetmetal and glass isn't so much fun. And of course there is the whole "roll over and don't get crushed thing"....and the little Toy cab doesn't leave much room for a cage inside. ....my $0.02

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Just don't try to go on craig lake with an exo, you will get stuck between trees :lmao::lmao:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Just don't try to go on craig lake with an exo, you will get stuck between trees :lmao::lmao:

Is it that tight? I haven't been there yet.

I'll be building it tight when I get to it. It should still be narrower than the tires and not too worried about the sheetmetal, mostly want to keep the glass intact and the doors mostly opperational.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
More goodies arrived today. 15x10 rims from CZ and DIY beadlocks from Depot :smokin::smokin:
Got them all cleaned up and ready for welding next time I get to the shop.

If I could get the fawkin gallery to work I'd have some pics up :banghead:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
AARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! :banghead::pissed::banghead::pissed::banghead:
Why do computers hate me so much?!?!?!

Thanks to Terry, I got some more pics to the gallery but I can't get them to link here... I click on the pic I want and nothing changes in the address bar so I have nothing to copy & paste to here....

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member

Thanks to Terry, I got some more pics to the gallery but I can't get them to link here... I click on the pic I want and nothing changes in the address bar so I have nothing to copy & paste to here....

Go to http://ovo.ca/gallery2 , not ovo.ca and follow that stupid fu**ing banner link thing. Look in your address bar, you will see the URL for *that* picture. Paste it here as "Insert Image".

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Cleaned the edge of the rim for welding
http://ovo.ca/gallery2/v/MembersRigs/Wilson/cleanedrim.JPG.html

Ready for welding
http://ovo.ca/gallery2/v/MembersRigs/Wilson/ringreadyforwelding.JPG.html

Closeup
http://ovo.ca/gallery2/v/MembersRigs/Wilson/rimcloseup.JPG.html

These rings set inside the lip of the rim so the welding is on the outer face of the rim rather than on the edge. This should make mounting the tires easier as the rim diameter is still the same. I also hope that there will be less chance of leaks with the bead of the tire against the weld. There is also a steel inside ring to help reduce the coning experienced by other beadlocks.

Now if I could just find the time to get back to the shop....

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Do it like this:

Right click on the picture and choose "Copy image location" then hit the image icon
And put the resulting text in the box.

like this