PROJECT!!! Buggy Build

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Mockup of new rear axle truss/upper link mount

Closeup

Location of upper links

No, the sign post is not my upper link, I just used it to show where/how they will sit. :flipoff:
There is 11 or 12" of vertical separation at the axle which allows the upper links to be almost flat.

How much vertical separation should I be aiming for at the frame?
As it is going now, with the adjustable upper frame mounts, in the loweset location there will be about 3", 4.5" in the center and 6" in the upper hole.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
There is 11 or 12" of vertical separation at the axle which allows the upper links to be almost flat.

How much vertical separation should I be aiming for at the frame?
As it is going now, with the adjustable upper frame mounts, in the loweset location there will be about 3", 4.5" in the center and 6" in the upper hole.

???

M

Morley

Sorry can't help you out Farmboy... but your truck is looking good..
Love the beadlocks...

Is it just me, or is every project truck on here a toyota :D

Edited:

I take that back.. Richard has his Military grade chevy Rock eating machine on here too :)

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
5 out of 6 current projects are Toyotas.... :D

EXACTLY!!! Toyotas are taking over!!! Considering all the Zuks switching to Toy running gear I guess we just got a head start by starting with a Toy. :flipoff::flipoff:

Should be a good year for the 6 bolt team!

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I got a lot accomplished this weekend at the shop. Blew a brake line on the F150 on Thursday so while it sat in a shop Friday, I took the car and got an extra day to work on the Yota.

Rear axle truss inplace and all welded up.

Positioning the upper links

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
With the upper link mounts tacked in place, I cycled the suspension to check for binding. All seemed good so I burned in the finish welds

I seem to have lost the pics of the frame mounts for the upper links. I'll post them up as soon as I find them.

Took a page from Adrian's build for my upper coil mounts

Re-mounted the stock gas tank sideways, a bit higher and further back to clear the new suspension. Also gets it up from the damage-prone stock location and it should also put more weight on the rear tires.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Started modifying the box for re-installation. After puting the tires on the truck and taking a few measurements, I decided to bob 18" out of the bed and shorten the frame accordingly. I'm also going to dovetail but won't know exactly how much untill I get the box sides back on the truck. I'll also be opening up the wheel wells for tire clearance and adjusting the floor for the new location of the gas tank.

Before

Section to remove. I kept the back 6" intact for the lights.

Back off

Side removed

Just the floor left

Puting it all back together

Got to love baler twine and 2x6s for temp supports

Looks like that last cross member is going to have to go

I can now determine that the dovetail will be 12" which will bring the sides in basically as tight to the frame as I can. I sliced 12" out of the center of the rear portion of the bed so I would only have one weld in this piece. In doing this, I have removed the licence plate bracket and lights so I'll have to find another location for the plate.

Rear piece in place

New departure angle :D

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
The to do list is getting shorter!!!

Plumb rear brakes
Plumb gas tank
Mount rear shocks
Make floor for the bed
Weld bed back together
Clearance front fenders for the tires
Paint
Install Hi-Steer
Install 4.7 gears
Re-route exhaust
Fix 2 leaking tires

I should just make it. :D

I'm also working a deal on a snazzy new trailer :D:smokin:

Last edited:
M

Morley

Your project is looking great!

Did you re-position and weld in the rear cross-member back in place after removing the ass end of the frame for extra support?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Your project is looking great!

Did you re-position and weld in the rear cross-member back in place after removing the ass end of the frame for extra support?

Thanks and Not yet.
The stock one went in the scrap heap. The new one will most likely be accomplished by a heavy duty bumper.

G

Grumpy

Jon there is something wrong with some of the pics you posted, they don't seem to open up...but the few I've seen plus the progress yer making tell me that MAYBE this project might actually see a trail in the near future.....(sorry I had to say it!!!)....anyways, keep on it, it'll be fun seeing you break yer shit on the trail!!! (although for those who have never seen Wilson's fab work or his welding ability...I can tell you they are "spot on"!!)

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
John there is something wrong with some of the pics you posted, they don't seem to open up...but the few I've seen plus the progress yer making tell me that MAYBE this project might actually see a trail in the near future.....(sorry I had to say it!!!)....anyways, keep on it, it'll be fun seeing you break yer shit on the trail!!! (although for those who have never seen Wilson's fab work or his welding ability...I can tell you they are "spot on"!!)

Uh, Steve, my name is Jon not John. :flipoff: Not sure about the pics, they should open in the thread on their own.

R

Root Moose

Dig it.

IT's nice working with "clean" sheet metal, eh? Dealing with rust to do a project is always so demoralizing I find.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Dig it.

IT's nice working with "clean" sheet metal, eh? Dealing with rust to do a project is always so demoralizing I find.

No kidding. Clean sheet metal (once you get past the bondo) and mint frame, no rust anywhere on this baby (unless you count surface rust on the stuff I'm adding) :D

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Found the pics of the frame mount for the upper links.

Links sit flat in the lowest hole, not sure if I'll ever adjust them or not but it was easy enough to build it in while I was making them.

R

Root Moose

Would you consider some U shaped gussets to box the vertical parts of the mount? Orient the U so the link still has full travel.

I realize it's big/heavy steel but untriangulated structures bug me. LOL