Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

junkpile

"Jank level" ?? What's that mean? Origin? I like the sound of that!

Nice short list you have, I gotta get a list together for mine, it'll help me to focus when I do have a window of "personal" time to fill. I really want to partake in this years 30th anni Spring Fling so I need to focus! Lol!

Oh! Short list- sliders! I need sliders to keep my rotten rockers and doors together when I try to climb Pinion Pass!

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
lol nope, it's an internetz slang thing. I saw someone post a picture of themselves and they said 'nvmnd my janky toes' lol and god they were naaaaaasssttyyyyyyyyy

Fortunately I had Mike L cut out my rust and build sliders for me a couple years ago. Haven't made any hardcore use of them yet. I'd like to go to SF too. Gotta start planning my weekends so I can actually wheel it. I'd really like to do Quinn some time, perhaps this year.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
The challenge. Rotted out roof around the 3rd brakelight.

Angle grinder time - I ain't got no time for smooth finishes!!!

At least it works...the old 3rd brake light housing was melllllltttteeeeeddddddd

Rustoleum on all the bare stuff

my workspace - that table is uber handy

template time

Getting started - my right arm was pumped for 6 hours...

Getting curvy - this was tricky...I used a small curved dolly, a 2x10, a 12" roller, end of the vise with different profiles etc, lots of different shapes needed to get it just right.

Pretty close - I think I did another hour or so of hammering to get it just right.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Removed my tool drawer - I HATED IT. Honestly, I like being able to move my tool box etc around for different items, the drawer was too limiting. I installed a 12" Alpine sub and a big Rockford amp instead - no you're right, I'm definitely not planning this as I go lol but hey it sounds great.

Rearranged the tool box to better distribute the regular just-in-case tools/gear for every day driving. I put the apocalypse-level tools/gear into a rubbermaid container that I will only throw in on occasion.

We also went up to our property for the first time overnight in the vintage trailer. Saturday was GORGE - got a bit of a sunburn!!! I picked up a 500W inverter (connect to 12V with clamps) and ran a plug-in drill and jigsaw for about 2 hours. The jeep had a 6W solar panel hooked up so the voltage didn't dip below 12.28V! Impressive. Also ran an unused LED from a fishtank (18W) and charged up our phones from inside the trailer. We ran a convection heater for a little to take the chill off, but overnight wasn't too bad at all. Puppers was happy to be inside.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Starting my spring to-do list...it's not too bad but I haven't done any work on it to speak of over the winter.
fix the dang evap leak/solenoid
fluid flush
one sway link
psgr front axle seal
TC lever tweak (notchy, bit loose)
trailer wiring....ugh
cut some skids
a bit of rust to cut and patch here and there
rear bumper??? low priority

OK doing a bit better on this list.
Evap - ugh no luck so far, can't find the leak. I'm going to keep clearing the codes.
Flush will wait til after the mud/water
Sway link - done
Front axle seal - done this past weekend but it was a major PITA...always have to friggin butcher them to get them out
TC lever - it's going to the 'want to do' list instead of the 'have to do'
Trailer wiring - DONE, bad fuse
Skids - I made a front one only. Might cut a TC skid before SF but not sure.
Rust, yep! I have some.
Bumper - nah

+battery tie down. It broke.

Function > Form

Club Member
Didn't end up making any skids for SF which was a blast btw. Thanks to the organizers for everything. Loved the raffle.......haha 2 days before SF I bought a snatch block....and then ended up winning a nice Warn recovery kit in a bag that included one at the raffle lol

I ran the stock/modified trail without any issue. [MENTION=1905]pynenburg[/MENTION] [technically [MENTION=526]Logan[/MENTION] was supposed to lead but he broke doing cool things] took us up a short pile of boulders which was a nice little challenge, but nothing crazy. Both libbies made it with some spotting, that's it. On Sunday my libby buddy and I took to the trails for a 2wd-as-far-as-you-can session just for S&Gs. The sand pit/hill was fun, made it up quite a few times without 4by.

IMAG1100[1].jpg
received_10154354882012251[1].jpg
received_10154354882722251[1].jpg
received_10154354882747251[1].jpg

On the DAGNABBIT side of things, pretty sure I finally fubar'ed the steering rack. She's a little loose and not in a good way. Will have to source a remanned one and get her in there soon as the psgr toe is out a heck of a lot (maybe 3 or 4* !!!!) and the inner blocks are getting ramped. I'll probably just put in a new tie rod, do a rough alignment to get me through the next few days.

Attachments

• received_10154355095412251[1].jpg
    received_10154355095412251[1].jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
On Sunday my libby buddy and I took to the trails for a 2wd-as-far-as-you-can session just for S&Gs. The sand pit/hill was fun, made it up quite a few times without 4by.

How far down did you go? 28K down you can catch asphalt and from there catch Hwy 41, if you know the way. :)

Function > Form

Club Member
[MENTION=3]Twinkie[/MENTION] haha not that far. We went until the big hill maybe about 12-14 kms in? and took the bypass to get up as we weren't really up for a mudding session.

Sorry I haven't stopped by yet with that snatch block - my brother was in town from out west all week.

Function > Form

Club Member
Gave up a little pride and paid a shop to install a new steering rack...it was leaky af and the alignment was fubar'ed. It's a total PITA to do in the libby and it needed it done asap. So, many hundred bones later.....she's all good, better than ever.

With all my 'new found time', I spent most of the weekend fixing the mega-cracked/heaved garage floor with some 6000 psi concrete, and some resurfacer and a broom for my OCD. I also spent some time grading it towards the centre for water flow out the big door. Getting there! Need to put some eavestroughs on too. Old houses, eh?

Hope to be out on the trails again soon.

Function > Form

Club Member
ALL CLUNKS AND RATTLES ARE FIXED (for now, it's a jeep whaddya gonna do).

The upper ball joint boot was torn and I couldn't see it (it was on the inner side) ...it had a little grit work its way in. Also, I turfed the front sway - one of the holes was ovaled out...suspect I may need to install my longer links on a new to me bar. It was one of the many clunks. It's so smooth. I am soooooo pleased.

Went to our property and unearthed a few interesting things:

1933 plate...must have been a 'rich dude' as my mom said to me
IMAG1424[1].jpg

Ford cam? gear
IMAG1425[1].jpg
IMAG1426[1].jpg

Headlight lens?
IMAG1427[1].jpg

Old pizza cutter, no AT/MT tread on this bad boy
IMAG1405[1].jpg

Function > Form

Club Member
Those old bottles in the backround are cool too!

Agreed. There are prolly 15 or so various whole bottles and a whole lot more broken ones.

We've also found parts of an old wood stove with a date of 1896 on the casting, old leaf springs from a wagon or car, unsure which, various wagon/gate/fence hooks and latches, bed springs, shoes/boots, etc etc etc. Very interesting pieces of history!