PROJECT ~~ ODTJ I (Renamed!)

O.D.

Club Member
It has been a long time since I had a pitman arm off. I thought the were keyed to only go on one way? Regardless, I think you need to adjust your drag link to suit the steering to fix the problem.

- Disconnect drag link.
- find center of steering box
- lock steering wheel
- align front wheels dead straight
- adjust drag link length to suit
- test drive and tune if required.

What i want to do is pull the pitman arm and then turn the steering wheel a full turn, then just put the pitman arm back on in the exact location/direction it was in. In doing so, i would in theory gain a complete turn one way and lose a complete turn the other way, thus making it equal?? Right now i can turn the steering wheel to the left say a complete 2 rotations more than turning to the right.

What i am thinking happened was at some point when i had everything apart, Harley (My son), was messing around in the cab and must have turned the steering wheel because when i started to tear it apart again, i purposely left everything centered.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Be very carefull doing it with the steering wheel unconnected you could end up killing the clock spring in the steering wheel. One turn should be ok but if you get an airbag light coming on afterwards it may be pooched. You probably already know this but just making sure. :)

O.D.

Club Member
Be very carefull doing it with the steering wheel unconnected you could end up killing the clock spring in the steering wheel. One turn should be ok but if you get an airbag light coming on afterwards it may be pooched. You probably already know this but just making sure. :)

I wont' be disconnecting the steering wheel. It's the pitman arm. Steering wheel stays on. In my 2yrs of building this jeep, i have never removed the steering wheel from the column :).

O.D.

Club Member
Well.... She's done. Plated and legal on the road. But i tell ya. It sure does drive differently as compared to when it was on 35's and 4.5SA's and the stock axles... I took it out last night in an abandoned rock pit. Had a blast. It climbed like crazy but I do need to get my front locker leak fixed. It would be that last piece that would make a world of difference. On a couple of tries, as i approached the top of a wall, both back tires would spin and the front was basically open. Had the fronts been both locked, it would have just climbed right up and over. I also tested out the articulation on a bunch of off centered mounds of stone.. was amazed by the movement.