PROJECT ~~ ODTJ I (Renamed!)

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Is there some sort of retainers to keep the coils in the buckets or are the shocks going to do that?

Let's see, since you built the rig last year, you have now changed the suspension, axles, tires & rims, skid, rear bumper...... What else you going to change before you actually get this on the road???? :D

O.D.

Club Member
I guess i could instead have spent the last few years just posting on OVO and make sny remarks at every opportunity but you've filled that position quite nicely :flipoff::flipoff:

BTW, in any of the runs or events that i have been a part of (4 i think since joining last year)... I have never seen you out?? :beer::beer:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Now hold on there, that's a little harsh. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I was simply inquireing as to what else you were planning. From what I can see of the pics you've been doing great work and using top quality parts to do it, curious if you're going to beat on it as hard as you've built it to take. Seemed to me a little odd (read different than most) to make as many changes as you have as quickly has you have since the full rebuild last year.

Made 2 trips to Rausch Creek last year & ran Craig lake July long weekend. Been building my buggy for the last year and a half -- you've got a idea of how long it takes from your frame-off, add on all the extra time for the fab work then compound it with no job.

You obviously got offended by (what seemed to me as) a rather obvious and simple question, my appologies for that but there is no need to be an ass about it.

O.D.

Club Member
Now hold on there, that's a little harsh. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I was simply inquireing as to what else you were planning. From what I can see of the pics you've been doing great work and using top quality parts to do it, curious if you're going to beat on it as hard as you've built it to take. Seemed to me a little odd (read different than most) to make as many changes as you have as quickly has you have since the full rebuild last year.

Made 2 trips to Rausch Creek last year & ran Craig lake July long weekend. Been building my buggy for the last year and a half -- you've got a idea of how long it takes from your frame-off, add on all the extra time for the fab work then compound it with no job.

You obviously got offended by (what seemed to me as) a rather obvious and simple question, my appologies for that but there is no need to be an ass about it.

How did i miss this!!!

*lol* Not offended at all man.. Just dishing back that's all. It's all in fun

However this:
Let's see, since you built the rig last year, you have now changed the suspension, axles, tires & rims, skid, rear bumper...... What else you going to change before you actually get this on the road???? :D
does not equate to

I was simply inquireing as to what else you were planning.
In any event, the main reason i did it the way i did was that quite simply... I could not have afforded to do all i wanted to do at once. Splitting out over 2-3 years lessens the blow so to speak. While yes, I have bought and then sold, i do so while minimizing the loss as much as possible. I don't mind losing a bit in the interest of a hobbie and so do so with allot of research behind it. I had full intentions of going short arm and first and then long arm. I had full intentions of going stock axles and then upgrading to more durable axles the next year.

I would have been out much sooner last year, however because of situations beyond my control AND keeping in mind the notion of doing some upgrades this winter i choose to forego most wheeling. (Basically, i would have had to sink a fair amount of coin into the axles to get my safety, however i knew that i was going to sell them and saw it as a waste to move forward so i took the high road...).

Let's hope that both YOU and I get out sooner than later to enjoy this supposed very warm and dry summer we are going to have :beer:

O.D.

Club Member
Spent quite a bit of time lately trying to get the front lined up and balanced, front to back /side to side. Once i had the measurements needed for the trackbar, i quickly realized that my Clayton trackbar was just too long. To add to that the fact that the axle side bracket bolt holes were 5/8" and i needed 3/8" and suffice it to say i had a bit of work ahead of me.

So.... I decided to just go for it and hack a piece off the trackbar. I ended up using my pipe cutter and it worked wonders!!!

I then was able to weld it up nicely:

Once i had this done, i then tackled the axle side bracket. I ended up getting some 1/8" sheet metal in 1.5" strip. I cut off two pieces 1.5" long, drilled a 3/8" hole through it and then was able to get the area cleared of paint and weld them into place:

This took allot longer than i was expecting.........

Tonight i started tackling the Motor Mount lift.. Went not bad. Hopefully will get that finished up tomorrow night.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Did ya finish welding the track bar or did you leave that little bit un-welded for drainage? :stir: :flipoff:

O.D.

Club Member
Did ya finish welding the track bar or did you leave that little bit un-welded for drainage? :stir: :flipoff:

LOL I knew you'd pick up on that!!! :)

I ran out of wire. I had the camera. I took some pics... The next day i bought some more wire. And then.... Yup, i finished her up.

R

Root Moose

This took allot longer than i was expecting.........

Yep. It took me all afternoon Sunday to weld on the OAB bracket and make my Panhard.

I have no idea where the time goes when I get in the garage. It's a time warp.

O.D.

Club Member
Well, i took the advice of CJMunky and hooked up some straps on the rims and worked the suspension over.....

Front clears extremely well. I only hit on full turn to the left on the LCA. When i was cycling it out, the rear tires do eventually hit my coil pads on the frame side however it's quite the ways up. My only solution to that would be I guess to play with the backspacing but that will be for another year :)

I will also do a bit of trimming of the sheet metal on the fronts of the rear wheel wells. Mainly for aesthetics though as i don't think the shocks will allow the tires to cycle up that much into the wheel wells.

C

CJMunky

Glad to see the hoist worked out for you. I love using a redneck forklift to cycle suspension.

This is a gorgeous jeep by the way, I have been following the teardown and rebuild since you posted it on JK.

Last edited:

O.D.

Club Member
Well, i had a day to myself so i focussed on finishing up the rear. I pulled the rear out, primed it up, then shot with a few coats of rustoleum. I then tackled the frame mounted rear coil brackets. I never liked the way the rear coils were on such a nasty angle so i picked up a relocation bracket kit from Rusty's and started in on the installation. It was a dirty spot to get to in removing the old one however once out it went quite well.

I then had a hell of a time getting some bump stops in place because of the variances through the chain on bolt sizes and corresponding holes!! I ended up hacking off the end of these Allen head bolts and welding them to threaded rod. That allowed the bolt to make it through the bump stop but still thread into the relocation bracket up top..

I am now on to the Transfer case. I need to pull it and remove the existing SYE and then install:

Tera Extreme Short SYE
Tera 4:1
Tera 2lo

Once this is in progress, i can then paint the skid plate and weld in some plate on the bottom of the frame to replace those rivnuts.....

Left to do:

Tie up the brakes
Finish welding the frame side CA mounts
Get a new Driveshaft
Tie in the rear bench seat
Figure out what to do with the front seats
Make some harness bars
Hook up the seatbelts
Finish my front hoop/stinger
Set up the ARB and lines
Misc bunch of other crap....

Good Times.

O.D.

Club Member
So, i finished the TC overhaul.... I got it pulled out on Sunday and started in on Tuesday. I was able to do all 3 components really at the same time. A good number of the parts attached to the front half had to be re-used so i did that first. Basically disassembled it completely. Of course i ran out of table space :)

I then re-assembled Tera 4:1 with all the attached parts, then i installed the 2lo directly into the 4:1. Then the SYE went into the 4:1. The only problem i had is that one of the gear rings somehow got flipped. Once i had it all ready for the back half, i found it making an odd noise when i spun everything... I ALMOST ignored it and continued. But instead, .... I pulled the camera, reviewed my photos i had taken and sure as fawk, i noticed the reversal.... A few minutes later, the sound was gone. Got it connected back together with the back half and it's ready to go. I just have to now get it back into the truck. All in all, once i had it out, about 4 hrs to complete...... When i did the SYE the first time, i think it took over 13hrs *lol*

Worked on the skid plate last night (Etch, POR15). On we go.

O.D.

Club Member
It's been a while since i updated this build.... Been very busy, trying to cram every moment i have into this thing. I was really hoping to have it completed for Spring Fever, but it just didn't happen. The one mistake i made when i started this was NOT getting it safetied when i first bought it. As a result of this, i can't get plates until i setup my emergency brakes.

In any event, i have pretty much completed everything i wanted to for this year, less a few things.

- I still want to cut to fit a stinger/tie ins for the front.
- I would still really like to hook up the harnesses

I had it out on some "Backroads" today and really had a chance to test it out. Few things have come up, negative and positive:

PROS:

• The 5.13 gears are awesome. I am very impressed with the power i have running these 37" tires.
  • The seats are VERY comfortable
  • The 4:1 is unreal. I did a few nice climbs and didn't even have to touch the gas pedal :)
  • Just over 24" of clearance at the skid plate.

CONS:

• My front ARB will not hold air :( It almost seems as though it's something in the diff itself. At first i thought it was the solenoid, but after poking around today, i don't think so...
  • My 2lo is not working. Where i should have 2WD in low, i have Neutral. I do have some linkage issues with the TC and am thinking this might be the culprit. I haven't decided yet whether i pull the TC out again or just run it as is for this summer. I do have the 4 lo which is really what i was after
  • Those front seats are hard to get in and out of !!!!
  • I am rubbing on the rear back fender wells on full stuff. I just might do some sheetmetal cutting but i am not sure how i would go about getting a soft edge by bevelling inwards??
  • I have about 2 full turns of the steering wheel more in one direction. So, i have i have to pull the pitman arm and re-align it all.

Overall, i am extremely pleased to date. I just can't wait to get "Properly" on the road. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.