PROJECT ~~ ODTJ I (Renamed!)

O.D.

Club Member
Hi all,

Well after much searching and researching and then searching again, i have finally closed the initial search for my base project. It's a 1997 Jeep TJ with the 2.5L, 5spd, D30/35 and Hard top. The jeep as purchased was in very good shape. Other than the front fenders being shot, the rest of the body was relatively rust free other than surface rust here and there.... Based on what i have seen to date and from what i was told by the original owner, this TJ was rarely off-road and i...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

You've been busy since the last time I saw it!

Whatever you do, don't spend any money on the Dana 35. The 30 will be fine on 35s. Get a high pinion out of a XJ for cheap to bench build and for the bit of extra strength.

O.D.

Club Member
Yeah, been a bit busy :)

I ended up making a massive swap+$. For my stock +$:

- Fenders
- Roll Cage
- Tires
- Suspension
- Both axles

I got:
- PS Ricochet Rails
- PS Rocker Corners
- PS Full Roll cage
- PS Flat Fenders w/3" tube flares
- 5 X 35X12.5 MT Baja Radials on Procomp Extreme wheels
- 4.5" RE HD Superflex suspension system with Fabtech shocks and SS brake lines all around
- D30 with 4.10's / D35 with 4.10's and a lockrite
- 1 ton tie rod

Wayyyyy ahead of schedule but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

O.D.

Club Member
Made some progress today.. I still have to get the heater core out, and deal with stripped windshield hinge bolts but after that, the tub should be ready to come off!!!

O.D.

Club Member
Can anyone offer suggestions of good Body work people in the Local area with decent prices? I am looking to get all the body parts + some brackets and bolts painted. Everything will be stripped right now and i should be able to deliver it all on trailer(s). There are some surface rust areas and unfortunately a hole behind the PS seat where the cage mounts that I would want fixed....

Any suggestions?

I am contemplating trying it myself, however i really don't want to fawk it up nor am i set up properly. However after a quick call to a local restorer in my area and the estimated quote that i got, i just might have to head that way!!!

R

Root Moose

I was happy with the work that the ChryCo/Jeep dealer in Arnprior did for me freshening up my XJ. Not "concourse" but for a Jeep really more than good enough.

They were ~$1000 cheaper than quotes in the city and I'm certain I got a better quality job from them than in the city.

D

Dannyboy33

Where are you located. There is Will's Automotive down off Greenland in West Carleton. Great guy and always good to deal with only thing is he is usually pretty busy. If you go there ask him to see his S-10. He added like 16 inch to the middle on the body and put on a fullsize frame, the thing is crazy built 400 in it. He has won a couple shows with it but also plays in the mud and crushes car with it. lol

O.D.

Club Member
I'm down between Kemptville and Osgoode. I checked out Majestic, however i did not leave with the warmest feelings. Besides, they are more set up for full restores on older cars. I am quite confident the work is top notch, however i think the prices follow suit :)

I am not looking for show quality, but i also do not want runs and orange peel, etc.... Plus because of the hole, i need someone who can do body work. Both of these, i have no idead how to do and would in all probability have to invest in a fair amount of tools to accomplish. After having just blown some decent coin on a hoist, engine stand, wash basin and tool trays, I have kind of maxed out my discretionary budget for any more tools :)

R

Root Moose

Depending on what you are trying to build it may or may not be worth while to contract out the body work. If you want the truck to look "show room fresh" from 10-20 feet versus looking like a bondo bush beater then you'll end up with different approach.

I had my LWB Samurai shot at the Maaco off Merivale (Cleopatra?). They did a decent job but I think they put too much hardener in the paint and it was quite brittle. I also had a run on the passenger side door. This was about 10-11 years ago.

A friend of mine had his BMW 328i shot there this past summer (or was it the summer before). Runs, over spray, orange peel. He is an anal BMW type guy but it was an old "beater" car and the job did suck. I went with him to pick it up the first time and I would have been pissed if my Jeep came back looking like that.

Actually, call Ralph at the Canadian Tire on Carling. He is the service manager there. He treats the MCO really well. His father is a body man and he fixed all the issues with the BMW above after my friend got tired of bringing it back to Maaco a bunch of times. It looks quite good for a 14 year old car that had rust issues.

Personally, I hate doing body work so will contract out every time. I'll do simple stuff and don't mind doing prep but the rest I have no patience for.

Last edited:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Where are you located. There is Will's Automotive down off Greenland in West Carleton. Great guy and always good to deal with only thing is he is usually pretty busy. If you go there ask him to see his S-10. He added like 16 inch to the middle on the body and put on a fullsize frame, the thing is crazy built 400 in it. He has won a couple shows with it but also plays in the mud and crushes car with it. lol

A buddy had his chev 1/2 ton done at Wills this summer. They did cab corners and a full paint job. It was terrible. The cab corner wasn't even close to being straight and the paint would scratch if you looked at it. They ended up having to do everything again and it still sucked.

I second that of the Arnprior chrysler body shop. I know a guy who had his Chevelle SS done there. Very well done. Not a run, no orange peel or even a spec of dust.

D

Dannyboy33

Hmmm weird I know a ton of people that have got cars done at Will's and they were all really happy, my family alone has had 4 vechiles painted there over the years and my buddy just got his 07 Dodge Ram done there this year after he hit a deer they matched the paint perfectly and did a excellent job on it.

But to each there own.

B

blair_b

Smiths Falls Auto Body- just South of town on hwy 29 towards Carleton Place. Dan Trudel owns it- great guy and a hardcore jeeper. Pretty sure they do some welding/fab work too. Not too far from Kemptville either. Cool build!

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Smiths Falls Auto Body- just South of town on hwy 29 towards Carleton Place. Dan Trudel owns it- great guy and a hardcore jeeper. Pretty sure they do some welding/fab work too. Not too far from Kemptville either. Cool build!

Yup, he's a good guy. I never had anything done by him (or anyone else for that matter) but I've stopped and talked to him a couple times. Knows his stuff. He also knows the club (might have even been a member)

O.D.

Club Member
Thanks Everyone for the advice and suggestions. Will keep them in mind as i try and figure out what to do with the paint/body work!!!

In any event, i finally got the body off the frame... What a job

As you can see from the last two pics, i have a few leaks that i need to address :)

O.D.

Club Member
Haven't posted an update in a while so here she goes:
Engine has been completely degreased, cleaned and completely dissassembled. Now being re-assembled. Current status:

Got the tub outside and sandblasted the underside of all the dirt, grime and grease. It is now ready for paint:

With the frame, it has been completely sandblasted and cleaned right now. I am now in the process of coating it all with POR15:

Still a toss up as to what color i am going to go with. It will either be an OD green or a copper gold color:

R

Root Moose

Did you end up doing the sand blasting yourself or take it somewhere?

O.D.

Club Member
I ended up doing it myself... Never again. While it was great to be able to ensure that all nooks and crannies were addressed, it is a messy job.

Since i didn't really have the means to transport the frame / tub somewhere else, i didn't have allot of choices. I had heard that there are folks out there that will come to you to do it, but in the end, i just went ahead on my own.

29 bags of sand, 5 ceramic nozzles, about 7 face shields, about 4 pairs of gloves and easily 10+ showers to get the sand out of all me cracks :)

D

Dirk

LOL, yeah sand blasting is a messy job.
Engine and frame look good. A coat of paint does wonders. So shiny....
I like both your colour choices eventhough they are very different from each other. Tough choice.
I think the Orange looks "nicer", as in more non-offroad enthusiasts will like and comment on it. If you are street driving it alot and want it to be shiny (untill its scratched) go orange.
The OD is way cooler tho and will stand up better to offroad abuse........I would go OD.