PROJECT ~~ ODTJ I (Renamed!)

O.D.

Club Member
Update...
So, i am just about there (Well kinda)..
  • Got the holes fixed on the jeep tub
  • started priming parts
  • Finalized the color that i want to paint everything
  • Got my bumpers made and are ready to be sealed/painted.
As of tomorrow at 5PM, i am off for 2 weeks+ a day so hope to get much finished during this time on the TJ.

Question i have.....

So, the color i am going with is

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

However i want to shoot everything with a paint gun. Anyone know what my options are for getting this in a gallon paint can? From a painter's perspective, how do you think this will fare with scratches, etc.... I really want something that will be hard and not scratch that easily. Keep in mind, this is going to be a completely "Drab" jeep so, no clear coats...... Are there other options for me to take, if i have this as my color selection, whereby i can have this mixed elsewhere with a more "appropriate" paint that will resist scraches, etc.....? I am looking for something very easy to apply and am trying to avoid mixing parts of this and parts of that if at all possible. I intend to spray everything first with a standard red rust primer first. With the floors, i am actually going to line it with herculiner first and then spray with paint..

Look forward to comments, suggestions.

H

handsomeDave

I got some paint mixed up for my explorer, I'm pretty happy with the job these guys did...perfect colour match

It's Hosie & Brown out in the east end. Phone number is 613-741-5006

They also have a shop on merivale, and you can pick it up there.

O.D.

Club Member
I cheated :)

Found out a neighbor down the street is a retired body man of 16+ years at some dealership... Now he just pokes away with Hot Rods. He was completely set up in his garage to do this. I had no idea but just stopped by one evening and the next thing you know, i am hauling the tub to his place. Had it back in about 2 days... Total to me: $100 bones and he wasn't even going to take that!!! I already had $75 into a flange tool from PA!!!! Good thing i never opened the package cuz i can now return it!!!!

Wow, Great patch job. Wouldn't even tell it was your first time.

D

Dirk

good deal on the help down the road. :beer:

The bumpers and tire carrier are sweet...

Mini-T

Sasquatch
You can get Tremclad in a tintable base. I'm not sure if it comes in a flat finish but its cheap and available everywhere.

O.D.

Club Member
Had some good progress over the past week...

• Warn Gas Tank Skid Plate in and tank back in place
  • Front and rear bumpers prepped, POR'd, painted and installed
  • Front PS skid plate installed
  • Sway bars installed.
  • Tub prepped and primered
  • Tub was then lined inside with Herculiner
  • Tub was then painted
  • GenRight flares POR'd, prepped and painted
  • Tub was then installed (Added a 1" body lift)
  • Added a set of Poison Spyder Ricochet Side Rails
  • Added a set of Poison Spyder Rear corner guards
  • Installed the rear flares
  • Installed the front grill (Cut out and installed a set of 2" LED signal lights)
  • Installed the 2" rear LED lights (These are real slick from Genright)
I decided to paint the TJ myself with rattle cans. I have a feeling it won't be as hard as i was hoping but we'll see. Worst that can happen is i pull it all off next year and get it coated with a better paint. So far i am in about 19 cans of the Krylon Cammo paint. I still have the hood to do, the front flat fenders and the 1/2 and full doors.

LOTS left to do!!! However this week off really gave it a good boost!

Wow! It's really coming along well....but....I kinda liked to original colour better! haha! Just kidding!.... That's some seriously nice work!

O.D.

Club Member
Update.... Got a good chunk of the Interior done including the dash, tied up a whack load of loose ends, got one of the front flat fenders on as well...... I have enough clearance i think for 40's !!!!

O.D.

Club Member
I had bought a complete tan interior + the sahara seats. I decided to add the carpet for shits and giggles for the time being. I did however herculine the inside of the tub and then painted this to match the exterior paint so once i get bored with the carpet i can just remove it and have herculined floor exposed...

Looks awesome man. Did you put carpet in?

D

DoctorPhate

ahhh, Yeah I thought it seemed funny that most people get rid of the carpet as soon as they get their jeeps and you put one in lol.

R

Root Moose

FWIW, I've been looking at the rubber flooring stuff you can get for Jeeps (XJ in my case). I figure it would be a good idea to try it to dissipate some of the road noise and heat from the automatic transmission.

O.D.

Club Member
FWIW, I've been looking at the rubber flooring stuff you can get for Jeeps (XJ in my case). I figure it would be a good idea to try it to dissipate some of the road noise and heat from the automatic transmission.

I got mine at TSC. It was about $120 or so. I used less than half though so if you are interested, I have what's left in the can for you to try. All you'd have to do is buy a paint roller....

R

Root Moose

I got mine at TSC. It was about $120 or so. I used less than half though so if you are interested, I have what's left in the can for you to try. All you'd have to do is buy a paint roller....

Thanks for the offer. I have some unused Gator Guard kicking around still so I don't need any at the moment.

I actually meant something like this in addition to a roll on bed liner and sound deadener:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14049_0X_PG.htm

I love how your Jeep looks like a flattie at a casual glance.

O.D.

Club Member
Allrighty.. With about 2 weeks go to before i am to deliver it for the cage build, i am getting there!!! Some update pics!
  • Engine bay is done
  • Doors are done

Left to do:
  • Finish the dash/components
  • Finish painting the hood and re-attach
  • Sand/prep/paint the windshield and re-attach
  • Re-connect the TC linkage
  • Re-connect the brakes
  • Re-do the wiring to accept the front and rear LEDs
  • Wire up the relocated licence plate bracket
  • A whack load of misc shiat to tie up
I also still need to buy a battery and a rear driveshaft... Hopefully next weekend i will be ready to give it that inaugural start up!!!