PROJECT ~~ ODTJ I (Renamed!)

H

handsomeDave

Hey man fantastic build pictures. It's been pretty cool watching the Jeep take shape

cheers:beer:

O.D.

Club Member
Can you spell B-E-E-F !!!!!!

Xmas Came early, from myself to myself :lmao:

These arms are massive!!!!

So it be the start of phase II :)

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
So you went with the Clayton! I almost ordered one but i just can't afford it right now. I am sooooo jelous. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

J

JKMurf

NICE!!

You know who to call for assistance...:D

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

T

Ton_O_fun

Just buy these:

http://throttlehappy.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2462

"So I'm doing some upgrading on the grand. Got my diffs up for sale, or I would trade for a 60, 70 or 14 bolt let me know!!
Front- 79 ford bronco hight pinion D44 65", ARB air locker, 4.88 gears, new axle shafts, new rotors, high steer, warn hubs, HD diff guard
Rear- 79 scout D44 62", detroit locker, 4.88 gears, disk brakes new never used!! Has a 1 3/4 spacer. HD diff guard.
They are 5x5.5 bolt pattern I have rims not sure if I'm gonna need them or not but they are 15x10 DC1 rims. 2200 with out the rims and 2500 with the rims"

Already built and will bolt in. Should be plenty strong for what you want to do...

O.D.

Club Member
There's allot of information missing from this lad's thread.

- Steering would have to be replaced.
- No rear E-brakes
- The bracketery in front would NOT work with my TJ
- The bracketery in back would NOT work with my TJ.
- I am now leaning more on 5.13's than 4.88's.

I ALMOST bought these last week...

Thanks for the link though.

R

Root Moose

Scout rear D44 is 58". I know because I have one in the back of my XJ and I did a bunch of brake parts "stacking" to get it to almost 60".

EDIT: I see he used spacers to get the extra width. Would be worried about linkage clearance on the back side of the wheel all the same. It is tight with my leaf springs.

O.D.

Club Member
I finally found the axles of choice!

Set up is mighty fine:

FRONT:
1976 Ford HP D44, narrowed to ~62 inches. It has Rubicon express mounts along with some JRC bracing. It also uses stock rubicon 44 width shafts, so its easy to buy replacements. The inner shafts are alloy USA evolution series shafts, the outers are stock and it has mile marker lockouts. It has 5.13 gears and a ARB air locker. Brand new u joints / bearings / dust seals / carrier bearings and pinion bearings / ball joints, all the seals, and the brakes, nothing is more than 1000 miles old.

REAR:
Rear is a 98 ford 8.8, matching 5.13s and a ARB air locker. It has treks off-road u bolt eliminators (1 inch lift ones I believe) and high clearance shock mounts. It also has a truss and the tubes have been welded to the housing. All brake components are brand new as the previous owner bought the setup without brakes. All the bearings and seals have about 1000 miles on them. Comes with a set of spidertrac wheel adapters than set it out at the same width as the front and make it 5on 5.5 bolt pattern like the front.

STEERING:
JCR one ton steering. It is set up under the knuckle and will come with a reamed out pitman arm. The trac bar was custom made by JCR. The mount is very heavy duty and it used a adjustable hiem joint on the axle side and a bushing on the frame side.

OTHER STUFF:
ARB pump, Air Lines, All wiring and the 3 switches

Very nice setup... Downside... I have to go to Buffalo to pick them up!!! Leave 3AM tomorrow morning :)

I also have get some coil buckets / LCA mounts for the rear axle as it was set up for leafs....

R

Root Moose

You may want to reduce the thickness of rear spacers to to add some difference in width compared to the front. At that track width a difference of say ~2" would help with turning radius (among other things).

IIRC the 8.8 is ~59" wide, those spacers appear to be 1.5" wide. Not sure if you can get a shallower spacer while converting the bolt pattern.

It's a fine tuning thing. I wouldn't get too excited about it regardless.

Btw, excellent find!

O.D.

Club Member
Just got home.... 11.5 hrs later :) There's like 4 inches of snow on the ground in Buffalo!!!!!

Very nice set of axles. I am too tired to look in detail. Will do so over the weekend.