Build Project - SS Cherokee

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
and with that it was almost time to get it out and test it's road worthiness. After making sure everything was tight and greased I topped up the tranny and changed the engine oil then opened the garage door, it"s moving under it's own power, so a quick neighborhood shake-out turned into a 1/2 hour rip around the area on some back roads, nothing exploded or grenaded, so far i'm happy...

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Looks Awsome Marek!

Two questions:

Is that a dent in the downpipe there for a reason?
Are you puting a belly skid on it?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Two questions:

Is that a dent in the downpipe there for a reason?
Are you puting a belly skid on it?

Thanks!

That dent (great chrysler engineering) is factory - it was to allow for clearance for the stock control arm at stock height. I looked at getting an aftermarket down pipe that didn't have that but it never became a priority. It's a restriction but i figure i can live with it.

i have been thinking about putting a big belly skid on her, i'll have to give it some thought.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So after Sunday's rip around the neighborhood i wasn't happy with the exhaust - specifically the way it sounded. I ended the exhaust with 2 down turns right behind the muffler and thought that would be good enough - wrong. It was very loud and had a very annoying drone that was not cool when driving (some weird frequency stuff). So i spent the last couple of days running the exhaust right out the back of the vehicle just like it was last year. I had the room so I ran it after the muffler up over the rear end up through the center where the stock fuel tank used to be. Heat wrapped that too as it passes under the fuel cell and inbetween the rear shocks. It sounds really good again, a nice low rumble when idling and hardly any drone, plus it's abit quieter too. I did end it about 6" short of the rear bumper so that i won't crush it if i come down off something. Maybe i'll put some really BIG chrome tips on it... joking!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Now she sits in the garage, all i need now is the tube and the cage build will start. Tube is getting ordered today so I'm hoping this starts next week. :)

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Nothing special tonight, i decided to make the rear doors removable too - same modification to the hinges as the front - i do intend on keeping the rear doors on but I thought it would be handy to remove them whenever i need to (like building the cage)

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I started bending today, trying to get as much done before I leave for New Brunswick on Sunday - thought i'd start easy and do the fenders starting with the front...

Then did the rear - they where deceptively hard to do, you really can't see here to well but there are alot of small bends in them...

Then we bent up the rear hoop...

tomorrow i'll tie in the front fenders with the rear hoop and start on the halo and window bars.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Looking good Marek!

Make sure Dwayne gets a copy of the pics. I remember somewhere in his build thread him stating that he wanted to make sure it still looked like a Cherokee when he was done.....

:D

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
How do you plan on closing the back in? One of the main reasons I hate wheeling in the spring is BUGS! Black Flies, Dear Flies and Mosquitoes!!! You need your truck as a safe haven to get away from them.

I may in time regret keeping it open (like bug season) but it'll be open - I'm looking forward to that "open" feel - although I do hate bugs. I think it'll be ok, i'm looking forward to getting out with it this year!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Finished up alittle more with the help of my buddy Mike today - this is it as I leave for New Brunswick for a month and a half tomorrow. I'll be back home for Easter and continue then. Tacked in the "rain gutters"...

Put the first roof bar in...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thanks, my back is killin me! I'm lookin forward to easter to carry on. Spring fever is just around the corner!