Build Project - SS Cherokee

Impact

I'm considering it since last year I broke my leg the weekend before and couldn't make it... The truck won't be ready but if I have time I'll try and get the TJ out of storage... I figured once I'm back in Pet I should have some time to work on "something"... Nope! Pretty much all of May is out the window.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thought i'd update...
So spring fever was fun! but my "shake out run" identified some issues.
Bad tranny cooler line routing (which was fixed on the trail once the fan ate through it, thanks to all that helped!)
broken traction bar in the rear(causing bad spring wrap under torque)
not happy with front end geometry
a few electrical gremlins

So, i reworked the entire front end. I moved and rebuilt the track bar (bad joint on frame end) and located it higher on the axle. I also lfted the front end slightly with different springs (everything was too tightly packaged and when zipping down fire roads there was some contact at full bump)
Installed limiting straps on the front end too.
I stitched together the traction bar for the rear (used heavy angle iron) but that is temporary.. yes, time for a 4 link. I'm going with Johnny joints (like the front) and they'll be here tomorrow. I'll be going with a double triangulated set up so no track bar.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, i will be disapearing for work for a short time but plan on starting the 4 link in about 2 to 3 weeks.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
oh and before i forget, here are some pics from spring fever...

S

swhytie

Man that is one Crazy Beast.....Starting to think about EXCO for mine, but not sure, and not even sure they are Street Legal in Quebec...Kills the stock look and makes the Police man look at you a little more...lol..Looks like Spring Fever was alot of fun though.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
had a package arrive today - the first bits for the 4 link...

And of course the obligitory beer bottle shot (no beer cans at my house)...

polo609

Are those round headlights I see? I like that I was thinking of doing the same...

4 link is gonna be awesome dude..I can wait to see her on the trail again..real beauty!

M

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
yes, round, i was considering (and still am) trimming the front "cone". as soon as i get home i'll be hard at the rear end so i'll update then!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Ok, update time. So right before i went away with work i started with pulling the rear end and tossing the leaf springs in the corner.

picked up some shit tube to mock up the links.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So i've set a deadline to get this done - july 1st. I figure it's definately doable so today after taking the kids to the local fair for fathers day i got to work.

first was to rebuild the bridge that the upper link mounts will be attached to - i used 1/2" plate for this and tied it in good.

Needless to say there was alot of cutting and grinding - and more grinding. Here's Mike grinding away...

Then i started to tack in the coil buckets...

I've cleaned up the axle and left it tonight with the bottom coil buckets mocked up on the axle. Tomorrow i'll burn the coil buckets in then i will start prepping the crossmember for the link mounts.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So i got some work done today. After measuring, then measuring again - and measuring some more i got the coil buckets all tacked in to include the lower link mounts on both ends. I mocked up the link arms (lowers only) and built them and just as i started welding the bungs in i ran out of wire for the welder - so i cleaned up the garage and will get back at it tomorrow. For the links i am sleeving 1.75" DOM with 1.5" DOM for a combined wall of 3/8's. The pictures i took suck and after the last the battery in the camera died but here is today's progress...

My numbers are incomplete but i will be running around 9 inches of separation at the axle so i'll be aiming for 4.5 to 5 inches on the frame end

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
oh yeah Dwayne, i threw those skyjacker springs in - way too tall. I would never have gotten it out of the garage with those babies on! I'm guessing that stock sized cherokee coils would be a much better fit.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Got abit more done today - welded up the bottom links and threw some paint on them...

Then started cutting 2x4 1/4" square for the upper link mounts on the crossmember...

Then cut into the floor as the upper links need the room...

I also tacked in some gussets and bracing for the crossmember upper link brackets but i'll take pics of all that tomorrow.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Ok, so my drive to get this done for the long weekend continues. Yesterday i finished welding in the brackets for the lower links and put it all together...

I then started building the upper link mounts...

Then started mocking and tacking in the axle upper mounts with plastic tube (ignore the angle the uppers are on, they aren't attacjed to anything)...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Once the upper link mounts are burned in i plan to brace them to the cross member and to the frame with some DOM, should be strong.